RIP Jeff Beck--Guitar players guitarist dies at age 78

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Arguably THE most talented and unique style guitarists ever, dead at age 78. I've played guitar off and on for 50 years, and even though Clapton is my favorite 'overall', Beck is the one I've considered as the most uniquely talented guitarist to ever play. He died of bacterial meningitis.

He could play(and did play) every style of music imaginable. Stopped using a pick decades ago and only used his fingers in ways NO ONE else on earth could duplicate. The most unique player by far. Literally could make his guitar talk, sing, cry....you name it. He could easily be considered the most respected player by the rest of the world's best guitar players. In a league of his own. He resided in rarified air to say the least. He will be sorely, sorely missed.

Probably his most iconic tune for which he will be known by forever.

His rendition of Somewhere Over the Rainbow. A rock legend tackling this blew me away with the results. The way he makes his guitar sing is amazing and exceptionally difficult.

Last edited:

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I couldn't resist posting another of his here. It helps if you play guitar to really appreciate what he's doing in this but suffice it to say he is doing some really, really difficult tricks with this number. Typical of his style though--he didn't just play music, he created it as he went along improvising. This one gets to cooking with Beth Hart on vocals. Not really my ideal type but something very seductive about her in this one too.:grin:

Last one for tonight. Some old style stuff with his mark on it. And the first time I've seen him using a pick since back in the 70's.

Spectator

Jan 15, 2021
I've been reading countless tributes online. Everyone admired Jeff Beck. Lots of priceless photos and memories being shared. Damon Fowler shared a great story. A long time ago had tickets to Jeff Beck. Jonny Lang was opening, got sick day of show. They called Damon up to open for Jeff Beck that night.
Davy Knowles was very young when he toured for a month opening for Jeff Beck. He is still using what he learned.
R.I.P.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
I've been reading countless tributes online. Everyone admired Jeff Beck. Lots of priceless photos and memories being shared. Damon Fowler shared a great story. A long time ago had tickets to Jeff Beck. Jonny Lang was opening, got sick day of show. They called Damon up to open for Jeff Beck that night.
Davy Knowles was very young when he toured for a month opening for Jeff Beck. He is still using what he learned.
R.I.P.
Same here. It's like the praise and recounting stories of him are unlimited online right now. From my perspective, as I said in the OP--to me he was by far the most talented pure guitarist ever. He kept on innovating with techniques that others tried to copy, but couldn't really even come close. He never hit a bad note--all the great ones do....he didn't. Ever. He could transition from one sound or riff to something altogether different instantly and it was always so smooth you almost didn't notice what had happened.

Lots of those tributes were from the other elite guitarists--the ones which many fans debate over who is the best. Yet almost all "the best", say THEIR pick for the best was Beck. Speaks volumes when the cream of the cream of the crop say Beck was. People like Page, Clapton, Gilmore, etc., all were in awe of what Beck could do. A glaring note is that only the lower level guys ever made an attempt to copy Beck--the very best of the bunch knew better. They have their own style anyway, and wouldn't dare even try to copy Beck. They preferred to watch, appreciate in awe.

He could play rock, blues, jazz, country(believe it or not), classical-ish, the fusion stuff, and anything else I can't think of. This one below .....wow.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.