RIP rogdochar - Gatorchatter will never be the same

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Hello. I read all these posts, lol, I needed the laughs. Unfortunately, some of you were correct, Rogdochar kicked the bucket from the 50 yard line. I'm Lee, one of his nephews. Roger (James Roger Harrison DDS), age 77, passed away Saturday afternoon after a 2 week struggle following a bad stroke. I brought him his laptop so he could do computer stuff in the hospital but he wasn’t physically able after a couple days.

He did not suffer long and passed peacefully in his sleep on a morphine/versed drip. I won’t get specific, but he had chronic health issues and also got covid…a weak covid strain but it didn’t help matters. We tried to stay with him as much as possible, but the ridiculous covid rules made it difficult. I’m pissed at myself for not challenging that BS more. Guilt and bereavement are kissing cousins.

We are touched you all missed him enough to write him. He loved chatting here and mentioned some of your handles like Ox, LadyGat, Auggie.

I’ll tell you some things about who he was…

He was a dentist for most of his adult life. He struggled with Dental School due to a brain trauma from boxing, but graduated, starting a successful practice after doing charity dentistry in the Virginias (there’s a joke there about toothbrushes). He had a practice in Miami, Orange Park, then Callahan. Miami was his favorite due to the coral reefs. He was an avid diver and could tell you everything about any sea critter. It was like having David Attenborough, Jacques Cousteau, and Steve Zissou at your table. He disliked being a dentist as he hated causing patients pain, but he was a damn good DDS. I still have a filling and crown he did over 20 years ago, while most dentists’ work goes south a year or two after the guarantee period. He undercharged people, and often came in on weekends to see people sooner. He was rarely thanked for it but kept doing it.

My uncle was brilliant. He should’ve been a writer or industrial designer, he was always writing and left behind many journals full of witticisms and incredible engineering ideas. I’m going to make some time to publish his stuff and patent some of his inventions. He was often stubborn & difficult. He was unlucky in love…VERY unlucky in love. He was his own worst enemy, which is usually the case for the majority of us. But most importantly, he was a good man who deserved more from life and we loved him. I’ll miss his vivid stories and dad jokes.

There won’t be a wake for him. There should be, it’s just not feasible. I’m trying to convince everyone we should publish an obit. He did no funeral planning, just said he wished to be cremated. In a couple of weeks I’m going to take him to one of his dive sites in S. FL and sink him there so he can be among his beloved marine life, waltzing with the dance of the currents. And maybe he’ll wash up into some bikinis…he’d probably appreciate that.

I’ll check back here to see if anyone has any questions, or feedback on how to charter this expedition. Thank you for reading this & for keeping him company. This forum helped him more than you can know.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Wow. Chatter has lost a treasure. Thank you Lee for letting us all know. He will certainly be missed here. It sounds as if Rog was lucky to have a devoted nephew! He had shared some about his foray into dentistry and maybe a little about inventions. I know this…he invented quite a few literary “slight of tongue(s)” if you will. He was definitely quite witty and could crank out a play on words reply in a matter of seconds, which leads me to believe his brain was probably working at warp speed.

I’m sorry for your loss. I can only imagine what a hoot he must have been. He was certainly that…and more here on Chatter. He kept us laughing and scratching our heads. God bless, Rog. And “Diver Down!”

itsgr82bag8r

Founding Member
Tell your mom I said hi
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I’m…….so saddened by this news. Thank you so much for sharing this small glimpse into Roger’s life. We all appreciated his humor here, but it comes as no surprise that he was such a giving person. May he in Rest In Peace.

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Hello. I read all these posts, lol, I needed the laughs. Unfortunately, some of you were correct, Rogdochar kicked the bucket from the 50 yard line. I'm Lee, one of his nephews. Roger (James Roger Harrison DDS), age 77, passed away Saturday afternoon after a 2 week struggle following a bad stroke. I brought him his laptop so he could do computer stuff in the hospital but he wasn’t physically able after a couple days.

He did not suffer long and passed peacefully in his sleep on a morphine/versed drip. I won’t get specific, but he had chronic health issues and also got covid…a weak covid strain but it didn’t help matters. We tried to stay with him as much as possible, but the ridiculous covid rules made it difficult. I’m pissed at myself for not challenging that BS more. Guilt and bereavement are kissing cousins.

We are touched you all missed him enough to write him. He loved chatting here and mentioned some of your handles like Ox, LadyGat, Auggie.

He was a dentist for most of his adult life. He struggled with Dental School due to a brain trauma from boxing, but graduated, starting a successful practice after doing charity dentistry in the Virginias (there’s a joke there about toothbrushes). He had a practice in Miami, Orange Park, then Callahan. Miami was his favorite due to the coral reefs. He was an avid diver and could tell you everything about any sea critter. It was like having David Attenborough, Jacques Cousteau, and Steve Zissou at your table. He disliked being a dentist as he hated causing patients pain, but he was a damn good DDS. I still have a filling and crown he did over 20 years ago, while most dentists’ work goes south a year or two after the guarantee period. He undercharged people, and often came in on weekends to see people sooner. He was rarely thanked for it but kept doing it.

My uncle was brilliant. He should’ve been a writer or industrial designer, he was always writing and left behind many journals full of witticisms and incredible engineering ideas. I’m going to make some time to publish his stuff and patent some of his inventions. He was often stubborn & difficult. He was unlucky in love…VERY unlucky in love. He was his own worst enemy, which is usually the case for the majority of us. But most importantly, he was a good man who deserved more from life and we loved him. I’ll miss his vivid stories and dad jokes.

There won’t be a wake for him. There should be, it’s just not feasible. I’m trying to convince everyone we should publish an obit. He did no funeral planning, just said he wished to be cremated. In a couple of weeks I’m going to take him to one of his dive sites in S. FL and sink him there so he can be among his beloved marine life, waltzing with the dance of the currents. And maybe he’ll wash up into some bikinis…he’d probably appreciate that.

I’ll check back here to see if anyone has any questions, or feedback on how to charter this expedition. Thank you for reading this & for keeping him company. This forum helped him more than you can know.

This is a true kick in the gut. I was excited to see that Rog finally replied.
I thought it was a joke at first but could tell it wasn’t Rog’s writing. We sincerely appreciate you posting an update. Your uncle was brilliant and his wit was second to none when it came to puns. He will truly be missed. I’m so sorry for your family’s loss. GC has lost an amazing poster. Thank you for posting and giving us some insight, Lee.

Treebeard

Oops, just stepped on a Lorax.
Lifetime Member
Dec 23, 2015
Lee, thank you for taking the time to respond to us "anonymous" friends. Since you have access to the account, we would appreciate any updates. It sounds like Rog was similar in life as he was here. You might enjoy searching/perusing some of his many witticisms here.

Prayers for you and your family.

Last edited:

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
It’s a huge loss. He goes back for many years on the old GSMB, and never missed a day here.

Goodbye, old friend.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
What a loss for your family and GC. Very sorry and saddened to here this. I love a good pun and he was punking fantastic.

So in his honor, I hope the funeral is not a grave affair.

Remember that whoever cremates him must urn your business. This is a ceremony you will not want to re-hearse.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
What a loss for your family and GC. Very sorry and saddened to here this. I love a good pun and he was punking fantastic.

So in his honor, I hope the funeral is not a grave affair.

Remember that whoever cremates him must urn your business. This is a ceremony you will not want to re-hearse.
Rog would have absolutely loved this post.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wow.
Can't believe it. I had no idea Rog was 77, thought he was way younger.
Sounds like he was in real life the person he was here.

What a human being. He will be missed!

EuroGator

Founding Member
Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Lee, Rog had no enemies here (quite the feat) and all admired his wit. He will be missed here, as in your family. Thank you for the update. Condolences on your loss. He was blessed to have you as a nephew.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
R.I.P. ROG. We'll miss you dearly.
GatorChatter's wordsmith comedian.
Saw this funeral poem and thought of you.

I suppose, one day, I will be dead and go to meet my maker,
So have this note set in my hand, there for the undertaker,
Don’t dress me in a shroud of white or rouge my cheeks all red,
It is not right, to look a fright, e’en though you’re stone cold dead.

Give me a brand new five pound note and a Visa credit card,
I want to buy a proper plot in old St Peter’s yard,
And as I sit upon my cloud and look down at the earth,
I'll watch you use my worldly goods for festival and mirth,
And that will make me smile a smile, and have a laugh quite hearty,
To hear you say, the bugger’s dead, let’s have ourselves a party.

I hope you can watch the games in afterlife. At least until we're respectable again.

Born2beagator

Lifetime Member
Aug 30, 2014

Wow...I'm...I don't know what to say...very rarely have I cried over someone that I knew online but never met...but he was truly a treasure on this board, and managed to be above all the noise...I broke down in tears when I saw this.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Rog will be surely missed. One of my favorites. Quick witted and fast with a pun. Chatter, the Gator Nation, and the World has lost a nice one.

Well done my good and faithful servant.

Prayers for the family and friends.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Wow. I’m at a loss for words. Rog Doc was always a special poster. He’s been around for many many years and shared many personal stories.

I had no idea he practiced in Callahan. Half of their population are in my family.

Rest In Peace Brother. I’m praying for you all.

PCGatorAlum

Lifetime Member
Feb 1, 2017
How sad, I'll miss him in the interim, death comes for us all and when it comes for the rest of us we will sit with him and watch the Gators play. God bless.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
Rog was a celestial being. Although I only knew Roggie on this board, his loss hurts much the same way CCC's passing did. RIP my very clever but always kind friend. Adieu.

B52G8rAC

SAC Trained Warrior
Lifetime Member
Feb 15, 2016
Rest in Peace Rog. I will miss your amazing way of phrasing things so that we can laugh rather than cry.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.