RIP Say Hey Kid

NovaGator

Dec 10, 2015
Willie returned to his New York roots when he was traded to the New York Mets in 1972, along with a rumored annual salary of
$100,000 which, at the time, made him one of the highest paid players in the sport. In one game towards the end of his career
as a Mets player-and having seen his batting average sink to an all-time low- Willie was being razzed by a couple Mets fans, shouting out at Willie from the stands, calling him a "$100,000 bum"!
Willie became irate for some reason, leaped into the stands, practically foaming at the mouth, all crazy- eyed and out of control, crying, screaming, swinging
wildly, only to be corralled by either a couple fans or team mates. I don't know if Willie took it as a racial insult,
but it wasn't a very good look for a player with such a storied past.
Willie certainly had the respect and admiration of many of baseball's greats, including one-time player and manager Billy Martin.
In an interview, Billy said that Willie was one of the three all-around greatest players (the others being
former Detroit Tiger teammate Al Kaline and former Yankee great Joe Dimaggio) that he had ever seen.
RIP, Willie! You were never "a bum" in my book.

Last edited:

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There is no debate. Willy was a great player. Perhaps in the Top 5 of all time but not anywhere near Hanks caliber.That’s preposterous. He couldn’t carry hanks jockstrap .

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Mays and Clemente were the two best fielding outfielders I've ever seen. Clemente had a rifle for an arm.
What was it like watching George Herman play ball back in the day old timer ?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
There is no debate. Willy was a great player. Perhaps in the Top 5 of all time but not anywhere near Hanks caliber.That’s preposterous. He couldn’t carry hanks jockstrap .

It's a wonder Mays ever made it past the Negro Little League given the defensive liability he was.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Absolutely ridiculous take, even for you. Hank Aaron had longevity, Mays was more talented. Period.

Amusing how you have Mays in the top 5 of all time (I would agree) and yet he couldn't "hold the jock strap" of Aaron?

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Absolutely ridiculous take, even for you. Hank Aaron had longevity, Mays was more talented. Period.

Amusing how you have Mays in the top 5 of all time (I would agree) and yet he couldn't "hold the jock strap" of Aaron?
Yep. And neither of those fuchers could measure up to the great Andruw Jones! :lol:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Yep. And neither of those fuchers could measure up to the great Andruw Jones! :lol:

Jones couldn't hit for shyt but was a great center fielder. Paul Blair was like that, too.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Willy was a tremendous talent . No question about it. Hank was better. The drop off after Ruth / Aaron is significant . One could argue (3-5) of Mantle , Mays ,Gehrig , Pujols ,Bonds and none would be wrong .

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Jones couldn't hit for shyt but was a great center fielder. Paul Blair was like that, too.
Jones hit over 400 home runs. It's only a matter of time before he's inducted - he got close this year. He's the best outfielder of the modern era, without question. Statistically, and using modern analytics, his defensive numbers are better than both Mays and Clemente.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Willy was a tremendous talent . No question about it. Hank was better. The drop off after Ruth / Aaron is significant . One could argue (3-5) of Mantle , Mays ,Gehrig , Pujols ,Bonds and none would be wrong .
Aaron had more HR's, RBI's, and hits than Mays, largely because he had 1500 more plate appearances. Aaron's career batting average was also slightly higher, .305 to .301. That's where the advantages end for Hank Aaron. Mays was better in:

WAR
Stolen Bases
On Base Percentage
Slugging Percentage
OPS
MVP's (2 to 1)
Gold Gloves (12 to 3)
50 HR seasons (2 to 0)

I'm not taking anything away from Hank Aaron, but Mays was the better hitter. Not significantly, but better. I also don't have an issue with someone saying Hank Aaron had a better career, there's certainly an argument for that. But to say that Mays couldn't carry Aaron's jock? Sober up.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jones hit over 400 home runs. It's only a matter of time before he's inducted - he got close this year. He's the best outfielder of the modern era, without question. Statistically, and using modern analytics, his defensive numbers are better than both Mays and Clemente.

I'd forgotten how many dingers he had. He really powered up in the early 2000s. Batting average so-so.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I'd forgotten how many dingers he had. He really powered up in the early 2000s. Batting average so-so.
Only 4 players in MLB history have 10+ Gold Gloves and 400+ home runs: Willie Mays, Ken Griffey Jr., Mike Schmidt, and Andruw Jones.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Only 4 players in MLB history have 10+ Gold Gloves and 400+ home runs: Willie Mays, Ken Griffey Jr., Mike Schmidt, and Andruw Jones.

Everyone else made the HOF on the first ballot.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Jones was a much better hitter than Blair. While their career BAs were similar, at least Jones had power and finished his career with 400+ homers and a much higher slugging pct.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Jones was a much better hitter than Blair. While their career BAs were similar, at least Jones had power and finished his career with 400+ homers and a much higher slugging pct.

I deserve to be mildly skewered over that comment. Another reminder to recheck the stats before you reply.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I deserve to be mildly skewered over that comment. Another reminder to recheck the stats before you reply.
I had an advantage over you. I grew up in the DC area and was very familiar with Paul Blair. (My own dad had been a much better fielder than hitter so he was a Blair fan!) Later, I lived in Atlanta when Jones was first starting out and saw him play many times as well.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I had an advantage over you. I grew up in the DC area and was very familiar with Paul Blair. (My own dad had been a much better fielder than hitter so he was a Blair fan!) Later, I lived in Atlanta when Jones was first starting out and saw him play many times as well.

It was the Jones HR total that took me by surprise. I knew he didn't hit for average but I didn't know he went yard that often. By 2004-2005 he was one of the game's better power hitters.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Another legend moves on to the Field of Dreams. Brings to mind my boyhood in the mid-late 60’s when I was learning to play little league baseball and follow the pro games and some of the stars. I also worked each summer on my granddaddy’s tobacco farm and was the only white kid and would spend the occasional break and lunchtime with the black guys my age talking baseball, admiring a few wrinkled baseball cards, and arguing “who was the best!” For the black kids it was always Willie Mays and Ernie Banks. About the best I could offer from the other side was Mickey Mantle (granddaddy was a Yankees fan so it was kinda instilled). Turns out later that I learned Mays and Banks were the better role models for sure! I know Willie is resting in peace, though. He certainly deserves it.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I know Willie is resting in peace, though. He certainly deserves it.
Mays was an open Satanist. I'm not so sure he's either resting in peace or he deserves to be.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    Mamab