Robbie Robertson, The Band & solo---dead at 80

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018

One of the most underrated musicians except by other musicians. He was special with The Band, and just as much as a solo.

Tribute tune--not one of his classics, but a good one.

And definitely one of his iconic tunes here.....

Last edited:

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Always enjoyed their music and The Last Waltz was a great “rockumentary.” That leaves just keyboardist Garth Hudson as Levon Helm, Rick Danko, and Richard Manuel are already gone.

RIP Ronnie.

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Did a couple good acting turns, too. Might have to cue up "The Last Waltz," this weekend.
Great movie. I just watched this a few minutes ago. Done just 3 years ago, but was one of the 'Songs Around the World' tributes honoring a classic song using people from across the globe participating remotely. This song could well be considered his very best since he wrote the lyrics and the music. Great, great song.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
I read somewhere that Robertson was one of the visitors to Epstein island. No idea if true or not...

g8tr76

Lifetime Member
Mar 28, 2016
"...and I served on the Danville train"

hard to believe that song was written by a Canadian

Great song. It was actually mostly written by Robbie after research on The Civil War with help from Levon. Later Baez did it, but it lost some of its color with her melodic voice and how she changed some of the words; Levon's voice made that song.

Rest In Peace Robbie!

secgator

Lifetime Member
Aug 18, 2018
Great song. It was actually mostly written by Robbie after research on The Civil War with help from Levon. Later Baez did it, but it lost some of its color with her melodic voice and how she changed some of the words; Levon's voice made that song.

Rest In Peace Robbie!
So true. From every video interview of Levon just talking and carrying on a regular conversation--that voice IS the real Levon. Heavy southern drawl, good ol boy to his core. Fully agree his voice made a great song that much greater.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018

Rest In Peace Robbie!
As Joe Strummer from The Clash famously said, “drummers shouldn’t sing; except Levon Helm.”

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
…and Karen Carpenter, Don Henley and Phil Collins
It wouldn't surprise if Strummer was specifically thinking about Collins when he made that statement. I like Collins, but I've seen some harsh criticism about his talents from musicians over the years, with the worst being Noel Gallagher from Oasis. Of course, I'm pretty sure Gallagher gets in fights in empty bars regularly so he might be a bad example.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.