Ron Zook takes job with AAF to supplement janitorial work

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Like all of us he wasn’t a successful major college football coach.

Good man, though. Gave it what he had even if he fell short. He loved being a Gator coach even if he wasn’t good at it.
I've never seen a marine who accepts mediocrity and failure as well as you.

Marines have a win at all cost mission first attitude and don't accept losers, quitters, or laziness. I'm beginning to think you might not be a real marine.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Marines win at all cost and don't accept losers, quitters, lor aziness. I'm beginning to think you might not be a real marine.
My dad was a member of the 1st Marine Division on Okinawa. He got shot down and left to die if not for the heroism of a few buddies. Sheesh. I reminded him until the day he died what a loser he was.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
My dad was a member of the 1st Marine Division on Okinawa. He got shot down and left to die if not for the heroism of a few buddies. Sheesh. I reminded him until the day he died what a loser he was.
Why? He was a Zook fan?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
With all the cash he's made, I'm surprised he just doesn't ski off into the sunset.

18s03navo7eyxjpg.jpg

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Ron Zook has been labeled a miserable failure in this forum. By good gator fans. There is no doubt his averaging just under 8 wins a year at UF for three years after SOS averaged almost 11 wins for his tenure was a miserable time for fans. I dont recall any real coaches knocking down the door to follow SOS. In fact the balls it would take to follow Steve would be considerable in size. Ron was not HBC material. He was a rah rah guy that could recruit kids and be a serviceable position coach. Even some NFL teams thought that. I never met the guy. I just know he was my coach for a few years and I support the coach till he aint the coach. When I see the evisceration of someone high profile in sports I I always think of this. Teddy back in 1910 .
"It is not the critic who counts; not the man who points out how the strong man stumbles, or where the doer of deeds could have done them better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena, whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs, who comes short again and again, because there is no effort without error and shortcoming; but who does actually strive to do the deeds; who knows great enthusiasms, the great devotions; who spends himself in a worthy cause; who at the best knows in the end the triumph of high achievement, and who at the worst, if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who neither know victory nor defeat."

Roosevelt railed against cynics who looked down at men who were trying to make the world a better place. “The poorest way to face life is to face it with a sneer,” he said. “A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticize work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life's realities—all these are marks, not ... of superiority but of weakness.”

I guess I used this in my classes in this manner. Whenever some youngun started bragging about what he could do (usually in response to some other kid actually doing it) or saying he could do better my reply was ¨ do it and then talk about it¨

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Ron Zook has been labeled a miserable failure in this forum. By good gator fans. There is no doubt his averaging just under 8 wins a year at UF for three years after SOS averaged almost 11 wins for his tenure was a miserable time for fans. I dont recall any real coaches knocking down the door to follow SOS. In fact the balls it would take to follow Steve would be considerable in size. Ron was not HBC material. He was a rah rah guy that could recruit kids and be a serviceable position coach. Even some NFL teams thought that. I never met the guy. I just know he was my coach for a few years and I support the coach till he aint the coach.
So why are you still supporting this loser coach? I know, he "did his best" and deserves a trophy.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I support all our coaches and players when they are here. Itś too easy to jump on the train of denigration. I always ride the gator train.........rain or shine. hurricane or extreme heat. I figure there always players that need to hear our support and cheering and will play better for it. Now shoosh.........

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
OMG. this is great. SOS said he was good friends with Dennis Erickson and looked forward to finally coaching against Zooker who is the SECONDARY coach.
Even though he has never been particularly close to Zook over the years, Spurrier speaks highly of his former assistant today.

“Zooker left Urban Meyer a team that won a national title two years later,” Spurrier says. “So he must have been doing something right.”
boooom case closed. The Gator Moses has spoken.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Ron Zook has been labeled a miserable failure in this forum. By good gator fans. There is no doubt his averaging just under 8 wins a year at UF for three years after SOS averaged almost 11 wins for his tenure was a miserable time for fans. I dont recall any real coaches knocking down the door to follow SOS. In fact the balls it would take to follow Steve would be considerable in size. Ron was not HBC material. He was a rah rah guy that could recruit kids and be a serviceable position coach. Even some NFL teams thought that. I never met the guy. I just know he was my coach for a few years and I support the coach till he aint the coach. When I see the evisceration of someone high profile in sports I I always think of this. Teddy back in 1910 .

Roosevelt railed against cynics who looked down at men who were trying to make the world a better place. “The poorest way to face life is to face it with a sneer,” he said. “A cynical habit of thought and speech, a readiness to criticize work which the critic himself never tries to perform, an intellectual aloofness which will not accept contact with life's realities—all these are marks, not ... of superiority but of weakness.”

I guess I used this in my classes in this manner. Whenever some youngun started bragging about what he could do (usually in response to some other kid actually doing it) or saying he could do better my reply was ¨ do it and then talk about it¨
Outstanding post, Coach. A million likes.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Did you read this down at the bottom of Mikeyś article.
LAST WORD: Hall of Fame center Kareem Abdul-Jabbar has put four of his NBA championship rings up for auction, not because he needs the money but because he wants to donate the proceeds to causes that will help kids learn about science, technology, engineering and math.

Wrote Kareem in a blog: “When it comes to choosing between storing a championship ring or trophy in a room, or providing kids with an opportunity to change their lives, the choice is pretty simple. Sell it all. Looking back on what I have done with my life, instead of gazing at the sparkle of jewels or gold-plating celebrating something I did a long time ago, I'd rather look into the delighted face of a child holding their first caterpillar and think about what I might be doing for their future. That's a history that has no price.”
Kareem wasnt just an all world BB player but an all world human being. He was a different dude from the outset and his relationship with Wooden took it to the next level. They were meant to be in that coach player relationship.........

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
Kareem wasnt just an all world BB player but an all world human being.
The guy was universally known as an abrasive creep-and-a-half his entire playing career. There's a reason why he couldn't get coaching jobs when his career ended.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015

Marines have a win at all cost mission first attitude and don't accept losers, quitters, or laziness. I'm beginning to think you might not be a real marine.

Obviously drunk.

No, not all Marines were Clemson or Patriot fans. They don’t all love Floyd Mayweather. Typically they’re fans of whatever school they went to or whatever area they’re from. They stick to their sports teams win or lose with often an insane loyalty.

That doesn’t mean they wouldn’t carve you up like a turkey on the battlefield.

Ron Zook, I suspect, would have been a helluva Marine. He reminds me of several men I served with. They couldn’t coach either.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I don't know why Law does this, esp when you consider he's only 5-9.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015

Awesome, Coach! Really well stated.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The guy was universally known as an abrasive creep-and-a-half his entire playing career. There's a reason why he couldn't get coaching jobs when his career ended.
He's a complicated dude. I think he's been on meds for awhile.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb