Roper is the real deal

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
NavetG8r said:
maheo30;n43879 said:
We could only muster 279 yards and 20 points against Georgia Southern last year. We only scored 24 against Toledo. The mighty Kentucky Wildcats? Once again it was 24. Today's offensive output was a huge deal and the largest since the Tebow era.

:exactly: We haven't been able to beat a cupcake like this in years. It feels good to finally be able to destroy a team we're supposed to destroy and get some of the younger players some game time experience.
Agreed

Coach9

Sunshine Spreader
Sep 5, 2014
Even if this is all there is to the offense we should be fine. We stayed in solid down & distance situations that keep you from being predictable. I think the receiver rotation will shake out for more dependability. I don't think you want to be going Debose's direction when you need 3rd down conversions. You want your clutch good hands guys. Only need to keep a healthy o-line to have a shot at winning the East even with our schedule. The defense may be the best in the conference. Got a nice D-line rotation, experience at LB and a lot of talent in the secondary. If we keep them playing on the same page they can be champion caliber.

SaltGator

Founding Member
Midline
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo said:
TallyGator;n44080 said:
Even though we hit some big runs and passes, I thought the rhythm of the play calling was a little bit "off". I was expecting us to work their defense inside-out...in other words, work the middle with runs and passes, then hit the outside or deep. Our big plays were just random and not the result of the play calling setting them up. Something to work on for better opponents. Besides that, it was great to see offensive players running up and down the field and the defense was outstanding.
So in other words, you had no idea where the play was going. Roper will definitely have to work on becoming more predictable. I bet if you broke down the plays you would see a very efficient spread between inside runs, outside runs, passes to the flat, over the middle, and deep. This crazy concept called working the whole field.
LOL

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
SecVolfan13 said:
Roper is the real deal. David Cutcliffe is an offensive genius and Roper has been his protégé since 1996. I was not at all happy about you guy's getting him. :ugh:
Awful. I just imagined Fat Phil in that tutu.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr said:
Even with the team from EMU the biggest thing I saw and took from it is that he has our players having fun. They are building confidence. When that happens they will play harder and harder. Not buying the rings yet but Roper does appear to come as advertised. He's got a playbook and will use it. And yes Coach WM, this is how you do it. Stay out of his way and yes with a good D you can win TOP and score a sheeeot load of points.
The D feeds off the O, too. They were spent the second half of last year. Hoping this just continues to get better.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
GatorStud said:
All I know is Roper called a better game than the last few tight as your anus sphincter OC's we've endured...
Pease is the WR coach out there not the OC, so the play calling is not his job out there. And yes we all know it was WM's hire , and at the time it was considered a good hire by most.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It looked to me that the big plays were set up. He worked the outside , stretched the field and then struck down the middle. Zambo and Law are IMO correct. And yes this was a vanilla called game,there was a ton of stuff , plays and formations that weren't used> We did what we needed to do, shut down a cupcake put up a boatload of points and get the young receivers in some work in a game , we were also able to rotate a lot of the young D in and get them some experience. We also got the entire team a healthy dose of confidence and showed them that all of their hard work has a big payoff.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
G 2;n44483 said:
Not to be a stick in the mud but if Roper keeps this up this year, next year he will be a head coach somewhere and we'll be left with Muschamp again.

Wary to say : The bottom-line hope for Gator football is that Muschamp absorptively learns the "feel good" of champion style play-calling because Roper will be is HC material and if he stays more than 1 year it will be because he's
expecting bigger school offers after the next successful year.

It all comes down to Muschamp is all we really got.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n45097 said:
Wary to say : The bottom-line hope for Gator football is that Muschamp absorptively learns the "feel good" of champion style play-calling because Roper will be is HC material and if he stays more than 1 year it will be because he's
expecting bigger school offers after the next successful year.

I hope Leak and some of the staff are soaking this up!! I think Roper may too be gone. I am hoping he stays 2 years if all goes well.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Was anybody else shocked we threw it so much? I'm very pleased with where our offense is heading. As far as receivers we've got to keep getting Robinson the ball. He looked like an absolute stud I think we're going to see more of him and fulwood as the season goes on . But Robinson looks like the playmaker we've been missing for a few years.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Since everybody appeared to be the playmaker vs EMU, we need to watch vs UK to see who continues to stand out.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
There goes the neighborhood. :D

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Welcome Aboard!

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Two things that I noticed after watching the game again yesterday and it has to be Roper's doing. He's obviously got into JD's mindset on what to do. The first was JD seemed to making calls at the line about the Defense. Second, I noticed several times on his throws he was looking off a receiver and seemed to have a progression on where to go with the ball. Glad to see him do that. But that there is coaching and something that has not been done in a long time.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
PaulDrake said:
Well, let's not buy the championship rings just yet. I'm not sure EMU could handle a state HS championship team. Yeah, its a nice scheme offensively. But I have to tell you we don't know how this will look against an attacking, speed filled defense on the level of the SEC. Roper didn't face that on a weekly basis at Duke. Remember, Champer is a horrible game day coach and his player development is the pits. Wish Roper was the HC. Seriously, let's wait before we start popping champagne corks here....
Among all the complaints, one would think us obliterating a weaker opponent a la SOS would have given pause for at least a smile. Paul, good to see you, but your post makes me believe your sig might only be 50% accurate.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Gator Fever said:
SavannahGator;n44044 said:
Does this win mean we'll beat Bama? No. Does it mean that we'll beat UGA? No. Does it mean we'll win the SEC East? No. BUT . . . perspective is important. As you posted, we couldn't muster more than 24 against Toledo last year - the Toledo that Mizzou put up 49 on today. And Toledo IS in EMU's MAC. We all know what happened against GA Southern. We haven't put up this kind of score (according to ESPN) since Urban hung a 70-19 score on The Citadel in the '08 NC year. What this game DOES mean is that we have an O that can light up the scoreboard, an O that can put the team in a position to win almost all of our games. And that's what we've been waiting for.

Don't get too overconfident - Zook rolled the 2 cupcakes we played the year he got fired.
Zook's offense looked better than anything the last 4 years. It was Zook's defense that was a killer to us.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.