Roper's offense

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
A couple of takes from the article, "Of course, when Virginia Tech took away Duke's quick game with press-man coverage, Duke was completely unable to beat the Hokies with deeper routes or with fades and slants to the weakside." With our O-line having troubles keeping a pass rush away there won't be time for the deep ball again.

The next take "If Florida can't find a "B" among its fullbacks and tight ends that it trusts to both zone block and run routes, these otherwise easy throws become interceptions." With a 14-10 TD to INT ration Driskel has been know to make the stupid pass, this could be another contentious area.

Nice comparison of the different schemes.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Matt Jones is everything you could ever want in a B. Line him up with McGee or Goolsby at TE and Driskellovers will have no excuses.

As for the long ball, I don't have an answer. Driskel isn't good at the long ball no matter how much time you give him. The good news is there aren't many teams that can play man press. Driskel's much more comfortable watching the receivers run flies, posts, flags whatever then hitting the TE over the LBs and under the safeties. That's probably what we can hope for (and that he recognizes robbers underneath).

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hopefully since that is public news (for other teams to see)...Roper has now devised an answer to press-man coverage should it come up.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
TallyGator said:
Hopefully since that is public news (for other teams to see)...Roper has now devised an answer to press-man coverage should it come up.
Again, it is public knowledge just like the man press load the box was the answer to beating Leyer. Most teams don't have the CBs or a DC with the balls.

On that front, Mushcramp is a great DC. He doesn't mind putting his CBs out there and telling them do or die. I just wish he had the nads to attack on offense also.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I just noticed Roper's offenses didn't do much at all against VT and FSU the only teams that play decent defense in that conference usually but they are at a talent disadvantage.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
After reading most of that I wonder if the writer has watched our QB play much.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Time will tell soon enough on the deep ball with JD. It doesn't hurt the situation to have Fulwood and Robinson making those catches. Passing is fine but it has to traslate to the game field. One thing I did take away from the article it seems as if more emphasis is being place on a long vertical passing game. Not stated but it sure seems that way.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
TN G8tr said:
Time will tell soon enough on the deep ball with JD. It doesn't hurt the situation to have Fulwood and Robinson making those catches. Passing is fine but it has to traslate to the game field. One thing I did take away from the article it seems as if more emphasis is being place on a long vertical passing game. Not stated but it sure seems that way.
He said Roper's is more conservative actually but we weren't making the plays in ours.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator