Roster evaluation

Keene-Flint

Nov 3, 2017
I'm certainly not a big fan of the hire but given what looks to be a move by our AD, how does our current roster fit into a Mullen coached team? Who plays QB? Who comes in as assistant coaches? How long does the transition back to spread option football take?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Can we at least wait for confirmation (and keep our fingers crossed the rumors are false)?

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
How about a real roster evaluation, rather than how it might fit into a coaches desires. I will go first with limited knowledge.

Offensive line. While we have bodies they are not competent enough for my tastes. They are weak, untrained, and perhaps not that good. Everything on offense depends on them doing a good job.

Receivers. Once again we have numbers and somewhat talent but not the performance I desire. Coaching might help and better QB play would of course.

Running Backs. Here we if healthy have numbers and talent.

QB Here we have a lot of unknowns and nobody really who can do the job, perhaps coaching could improve. Now without the previous groups doing their jobs QB is difficult to do well.

Defensive Line. We had some good talent and depth, might be leaving.

Line Backers. We lack in both numbers and talent, perhaps somewhat due to the idiot 9, but still a concern.

DBs. Here we are pretty good at corner, not so good at safety, probably can be good.

Special teams. Very poor. We lose our punter and kicker. Coverage teams are poor, no punt block team at all. Need massive improvements.

Now every QB must be able to use his legs in today's game, and you need more than one of course. I don't think we have either of these things now.

Comment as you desire.

Keene-Flint

Nov 3, 2017
So does anybody think Franks can run this type of O? Will Toney have a shot back there? Will we see some type of hybrid like we did in 06?

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I'm certainly not a big fan of the hire but given what looks to be a move by our AD, how does our current roster fit into a Mullen coached team? Who plays QB? Who comes in as assistant coaches? How long does the transition back to spread option football take?
We need hosses up front that have some smarts. Need lbs and lbs on defense. Need to sign 40 some jcs to balance out roster.

Gatormac2112

The Voice of Reason
Lifetime Member
Sep 7, 2014
Toney has proven to be too fragile as well. He needs to get a big boned hoss QB in here like yesterday for this to work.

PaulDrake

Della Street's Baby Daddy
Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I have an idea....Get Mullen to spend part of the $7 million and go all out to hire a crack OC, DC, line coaches, skill coaches, and strength coach and he can permanently reside in Ocala with his wife watching the games on TV and still get all the credit....I mean if we are going to blow $7 mill on this idiot we can hire the best OC's & DC's in the country....

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
....I mean if we are going to blow $7 mill on this idiot we can hire the best OC's & DC's in the country....
Well, Mullen is his own OC and we get that piece Dawgshyt Todd Grantham, Mr Choker, that even Mushchump could score on, as DC.

Chew on that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
This board really missed your x's and o's when you got lost between GSMB and GCMB.

I like the way you said that. Mullen runs a power QB running game... I will add cutesy power game if you will.

We have a decidedly untalented and quite slow OL. A couple are talented but terribly, others were desperation takes who really arent Div1 football players bc we had no other option. Frankly, I cant even imagine this OL trying to run soread option, whoch requires fast (usually small) OL.

I expect us to run a ton of wildcat trying to find someway tommake this work.

Mullen's cutesy "power" QB run game always gets smashed by real power football lile Bammer and the new Bammerlite Ugly.

And as I recall, Grantham runs a Sabanesque 3 heavies on the DL, which we ABSOLUTELY dont have.

It is going to be an amazingly ugly year or two with this hard-headed coach trying to run his schemes with our "talent" IMO. He hasnt changed a bit in 12 years so I have nondoubt he will insist on round hole square peg get another hammer options.

Last edited:

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015

The bottom line is he is going to have to modify his regular offense, surely he is not too stupid or stubborn to understand and do that.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The bottom line is he is going to have to modify his regular offense, surely he is not too stupid or stubborn to understand and do that.
You didnt watch him try to run Chris Leak in the option for two years?

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
You're not making me feel better considering these points of interest are a rate limiting issue and a time consuming transition.
He's ours now. :shakehead:

Huddersfield

Nov 10, 2017

Hahaha. You wish that is the case!
He will try and run his bonehead offense with our players that aren’t suited to it. More years of 6 and 7 wins before he gets fired.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.