RUMOR: JUCO OL Noah Banks to start in place of Fred Johnson

Omar's Coming Yo!

Gator til the grave
BANNED
Oct 6, 2016
I've seen tweets about TJ Moore, Gouraige, and Delance; saying something like "biding their time, next year is THEIR year" (basically saying they'll be "the man" next season).

I like Griffin McDowell too, seems like a solid OG candidate. I wouldn't be surprised if Bleich was a starter next year also.

Really disappointed in Heggie getting injured all the time. He's the best OL on the team, imo. Hopefully he gets healthy this off-season.

We could see: Gouraige, Bleich, Buchanan, Heggie/Banks, TJ Moore/Delance. Also, TJ Moore will return as a back-up Center and Banks can play OT.

That's pretty much it though for the OL's on the current roster. We could land the grad-transfer from Miss State (or somewhere else). I doubt any JUCO we'd possibly sign would play much and the incoming freshman are probably all redshirt candidates (or the 4-game rule type).

With the lack of blowout this year we haven't seen many of the back ups. Hopefully we see more of those next year.
If they can't unseat the mediocre OL we have now next year is going to be a long year

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If they can't unseat the mediocre OL we have now next year is going to be a long year

I think Mullen believes that experience matters more than anything. If you recall, 2008 offense didn’t really take off until he freed the reins and allowed Rainey and Demps tons of playing time.

Kind of seeing the same thing this year. He doesn’t want EJ playing. He would prefer for him to sit and learn everything and get his mind and body ready. That is really the way program should run.

Now – you can point to a lot of young players who come in as freshman and have instant impact. Although those players tend to be at more instinctive positions like CB. But yes, you can do that. Instant impact kids like that do exist. But we just don’t have them on our roster.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
I think Mullen believes that experience matters more than anything. If you recall, 2008 offense didn’t really take off until he freed the reins and allowed Rainey and Demps tons of playing time.

Kind of seeing the same thing this year. He doesn’t want EJ playing. He would prefer for him to sit and learn everything and get his mind and body ready. That is really the way program should run.

Now – you can point to a lot of young players who come in as freshman and have instant impact. Although those players tend to be at more instinctive positions like CB. But yes, you can do that. Instant impact kids like that do exist. But we just don’t have them on our roster.
Someone posted some John McCay quotes in another thread. Here's one that seems to apply. "If you have everyone back from a team that lost 10 games, experience isn't too important."

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I guess the rumor was correct, just a week off. I'm curious what this suspension was about....and seems very Meyer-ish w/ it coming vs. the cupcake (and I have no problem w it).

Banks seemed to play well. I was unimpressed when we missed the 4th down play early in the 1st quarter, not sure who the OL was that got blown up though.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I guess the rumor was correct, just a week off. I'm curious what this suspension was about....and seems very Meyer-ish w/ it coming vs. the cupcake (and I have no problem w it).

Banks seemed to play well. I was unimpressed when we missed the 4th down play early in the 1st quarter, not sure who the OL was that got blown up though.
No, Cyontai missed the DE/OLB on the end. He blocked, as usual, no one, which makes me think it was not an option with an unblocked emol.

Last edited:

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
No, Cyontai missed the DE on the end. He blocked, as usual, no one.

Thanks. I missed the first 45 minutes and was watching/fast forwarding trying to catch up. Honestly, that was really the only disappointment for the starters that I saw (except for Franks over throwing the deep ball again).

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
The only way you keep Franks from overthrowing it is to run a route that's so long he can't overthrow it. I'll send that note to Mullen.

GatorStud

Founding Member
Score Points, Be Happy
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
clipart-hippo-ballerina-5.jpg

We still love you Fred but... :lol3:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member

Mullen will probably have a similar situation to 2013 coming up. There he started the season with the experienced guy that didn't fit his system good but quickly switched to Prescott I think. I hope he names Jones the starter for game 1 however in 2019.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Thanks. I missed the first 45 minutes and was watching/fast forwarding trying to catch up. Honestly, that was really the only disappointment for the starters that I saw (except for Franks over throwing the deep ball again).

Don’t know why they didn’t just let Franks slam it in there for that 4th down play. He’s been pretty good this year in short yardage.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.