RUMOR: Mac tried to turn in his resignation.....twice

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It’s not uncommon for people to negotiate a resignation. I’ve known people who will give two weeks and then negotiate for various things to stay for 4 weeks. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mac went in saying that he’d be willing to resign if they paid him a pro-rata buyout. He’s offering them an opportunity to cut ties with minimal scrutiny to the school. Instead he did what he did and really made a mess. If he had offered a resignation with a negotiated buyout, we’d been foolish to not negotiate it down and accept. Lot’s of if’s. But, negotiated resignations aren’t really rare.

It’s rare to pay out a contract on a resignation unless it explicitly states in the contract that they will be paid some sort of buyout or severance in the case of a resignation.

I run contracts all the time and the only time that I normally see any money being paid to the resignor is for already earned monies (Or if the contract explicitly states some sort of severance in the event of a resignation).

Now - I would agree that negotiations do tend to happen in forced resignations. But resigning under your own free will would not be the catalyst to have a company pay out extra money for the hell of it. In my experience.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
So for instance if you work for a company on a year to year contract and the company policy is that you earn a week of severance for every year you’re employed – if you resign after 10 years in good standing you would get 10 weeks of severance.

But they wouldn’t negotiate to pay you for another six months if you left at the beginning of that year.

Of course I have no idea what it said in his contract so I am assuming a bit here.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It’s not uncommon for people to negotiate a resignation. I’ve known people who will give two weeks and then negotiate for various things to stay for 4 weeks. I wouldn’t be surprised if Mac went in saying that he’d be willing to resign if they paid him a pro-rata buyout. He’s offering them an opportunity to cut ties with minimal scrutiny to the school. Instead he did what he did and really made a mess. If he had offered a resignation with a negotiated buyout, we’d been foolish to not negotiate it down and accept. Lot’s of if’s. But, negotiated resignations aren’t really rare.

By the way, I would agree the CEOs resign all the time and take parachute packages. But it’s normally a planned out resignation with a plan of succession.

But I guess, to your point, there are CEOs that are ousted and still paid.

I wonder what happens in the coaching ranks when allegations of serious misconduct happens? So what happened with Mike Price? Art Briles?

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
It’s rare to pay out a contract on a resignation unless explicitly states in the contract that they will be paid some sort of buying out in the case of a resignation.

I run contracts all the time and the only time that I normally see any money being paid to the resignor is for already earned monies (Or if the contract explicitly states some sort of severance in the event of a resignation).

Now - I would agree that negotiations do tend to happen in forced resignations. But resigning under your own free will would not be the catalyst to have a company pay out extra money for the hell of it. In my experience.
It happens all the time. It can be as simple as here’s my two weeks. We need you to stay for four, can you do that? Possibly, what can you do for me?

Here’s another one. If I tender my resignation now will you grant me my bonus and remaining vacation, even though I’m not vested for another three months.

The negotiations happen prior to actually tendering the resignation. Otherwise you are correct, you’re stuck. And as much as people say you live in an at will state, businesses are not going to fire you without cause.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
By the way, I would agree the CEOs resign all the time and take parachute packages. But it’s normally a planned out resignation with a plan of succession.

I wonder what happens in the coaching ranks when allegations of serious misconduct happens? So what happened with Mike Price? Art Briles?
These are true cases as well. And if you work with contracts, you know they aren’t the end all be all. They are positions for negotiations. Sometimes that position is favorable and sometimes the position is unfavorable and it’s in your best interest to follow the contract. And poorly written contracts can simply blowup. And the reason why so many contracts get renegotiated is because of the legal cost to enforce it.

And back to the original point, prior to tendering resignations, negotiations can and do take place. I’ve done it twice, and never killed it, but an extra couple grand is nothing to sneeze at.

As for Briles and like types, it really just depends on what the lawyers think a judge would rule. Kind of like playing poker.

Woodroe

Sir Knowitall
Lifetime Member
Nov 13, 2017
If he resigned why would they be stuck with his buyout?
Exactly. Offering to leave if we pay his buyout is NOT offering to resign. It is his agent beginning the separation negotiation process. Resigning is what the dude at Oregon State did. If he offered that and Stricklin did not accept on the spot, Stricklin needs to be fired.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He was begging for Oregon and Nebraska to come calling. I think he really overvalued himself and was surprised that people weren't running to hire him.

I believe he really thinks beating the voles and winning the East was a big deal.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I’m not saying that your source is not right – I just don’t know if they would have prevented him from resigning because they would have to pay for his buyout. If he resigned why would they be stuck with his buyout?
Exactly. If you walk in and say I want to resign, there is no requirement for a buyout to be paid. Buy out is quite literally the ability to BUY someone OUT of their contract. If they voluntarily request to be let out of the contract, then the only reason anything additional is paid is either due to a specific contract stipulation that says something like so many years, so much severance at time of termination regardless of cause, or because the employing entity is egregiously generous.

If true on the general premise, then what is being reported isn't actually correct. Mac and his agent probably went in and said they'd be WILLING to walk IF the university were willing to pay out some amount, etc. Basically TRYING to get the school to invoke the buy out and perhaps sweetening the pot by indicating theyd be willing to take a reduced amount. All that being said, that is NOT a resignation. It's throwing some bait on a hook out to see if there's interest.

What probably happened was he offered up the idea to walk away quietly in exchange for his full buyout and UF told him to get f*cked. Strick may have felt he could at least get him out at a reduced rate in the near future based on what many sources (some Ive heard as well) indicating Mac was complicit in the CC thing. Ultimately I think Strick was looking into the level of knowledge that Mac had regarding the CC fraud and the timeframe of such in order to determine if he failed to meet disclosure requirements in order to use that as leverage for termination. But Mac was such a tard he served up a 'for cause' reason to Strick on a silver platter with his lies over death threats and Strick jumped on it immediately once the university could credibly claim they did their due diligence to investigate the matter and came up with no evidence of any such threats.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
who knew I had a source?

was talking with a business associate who is "connected" to the program. word is that Mac told the administration that he was going to resign before the season started because he had been covering up the CC fraud, and they wouldn't let him.

That would explain his despondent disposition early in the season - particularly after the Ut win.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He was begging for Oregon and Nebraska to come calling. I think he really overvalued himself and was surprised that people weren't running to hire him.

I believe he really thinks beating the voles and winning the East was a big deal.
It is if you're Orlando CC.

Since65

Oct 5, 2014
So, where does the death threats fiasco fit into this theoretical scenario? Was this his extreme effort to hasten his exit having seen that his earlier attempts at resignation were rebuffed (allegedly). That particular press conference was one of the most bizarre I've seen in years of following and covering sports.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

Price and Briles ended up sueing for lack of payment due to forced out... I think they both lost.

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
It’s rare to pay out a contract on a resignation unless it explicitly states in the contract that they will be paid some sort of buyout or severance in the case of a resignation.

I've always heard contracts were a negotiation starting point.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Stricklin and Mac apparently didn't see eye to eye. There was already a search in place before the dust settled in Fort Worth (if not earlier). For a coach to go through the whole offseason then try to retire right before the season due to the CC thing (which the University handled as best it could) seems a little sudden unless Stricklin and him already had words. The story of before the UGA game I heard, but he was asking for portion of his buy out and for UF to cover the remainder of the CSU buyout (which was after the University questioned him again over the threats).

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014

“I was hired to get here (sec title game). How many times have I been here? Ok then”

Smug fat piece of trash Crapelstain. Nothing surprises me with this moron. Nothing.

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
I think we've only scratched the surface on the crap that is going to eventually come out. I think things were worse than any of us imagined. Mac is by-far the worst coach I've ever seen walking a sideline. There wasn't anything he didn't fail at.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I'm sorry... I'm glad he is gone, but I just don't believe he tried to resign because he was covering up credit card fraud and the University didn't let him. If he told them that then they could easily fire him with cause. It makes absolutely no sense.

aka

Founding Member
I Deliver
Lifetime Member
Jun 22, 2014
Founding Member
Better late than never.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.