RUMOR: Mullen is out

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I'm concerned you know that they come in a container and that they can be swallowed.....
They dont. an ISO container is one of those large rectangular containers currently sitting on ships a few miles off the coast of long beach. I thought the correlation was apropos.

As for knowledge of them being swallowed, I mean, I'm a grown man. If you haven't seen it happen at some point in your life, its time to leave mommy's basement. There's a big world of ladies out there bro. We're here for you :fistbump:

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

bacongator

Oct 10, 2014
If he truly is canned, does anyone have confidence in the admin to hit a grand slam hire?
When I worked at UF, I heard John Lombardi talk about what it took to develop a great academic department -- and I've always thought that it applied to sports teams as well. He said that the best academic departments were ones where every time they hired someone new, they tried to hire someone who was better than the other faculty who were already there -- that was the path to excellence. But he also said that finding those departments was really rare, because people were insecure or threatened by people who were smarter than them. Or as another president once told me, A level faculty hire A level faculty; B level faculty hire C level faculty.

I think Strickland is a B level AD, which is why he hired Mullen. And Mullen is (at best) a C level coach, so he constantly hires C or D level assistants. Compare that to Saban, who constantly hires outstanding assistants, learns from them, and then replaces them with more outstanding assistants. Really great assistants don't want to work with mediocre coaches.

So I expect we'll get another C level coach. And a bunch of crappy assistants.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
When I worked at UF, I heard John Lombardi talk about what it took to develop a great academic department -- and I've always thought that it applied to sports teams as well. He said that the best academic departments were ones where every time they hired someone new, they tried to hire someone who was better than the other faculty who were already there -- that was the path to excellence. But he also said that finding those departments was really rare, because people were insecure or threatened by people who were smarter than them. Or as another president once told me, A level faculty hire A level faculty; B level faculty hire C level faculty.

I think Strickland is a B level AD, which is why he hired Mullen. And Mullen is (at best) a C level coach, so he constantly hires C or D level assistants. Compare that to Saban, who constantly hires outstanding assistants, learns from them, and then replaces them with more outstanding assistants. Really great assistants don't want to work with mediocre coaches.

I would get that if it were still all Foley in the UAA. But I'll give Stricklin one bit of praise in that he did at least swing hard last time with some big names in Frost and Kelly. He just didn't land them. I'm certainly not trilled with him and would be in favor of a complete reset at the top. But he didn't go straight for WM and/or McElwain types. We just ended up there.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014

Great leaders surround themselves with people who are smarter them.

lizardbreath

Nov 5, 2016
This is a Dead-on impression of Russell's shows. Thank you! I'm glad I'm not the only one that hears it this way. He is so angry all the time. Why even do your show? Give up the post game call in show to someone that wants to do it. Russell never gives you any good info, he's not entertaining at all and he just argues with all his callers. I will say that it's fun to listen to when we lose because he gets so angry at anybody questioning the coaches or challenging his opinion. There was a running joke for awhile where people would call in and have basically a normal call until the hit him with "I want to see more Tyler Murphy"! With the Chappelle show Charlie Murphy joke voice. He would get so angry. We should bring that back.
I tried listening earlier in the season and haven't been back. The guy really needs to find something else to do.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So of the three previous head coaches that we pushed out with our arrogance and unrealistic expectations, which ones have gone on to have success in the same capacity elsewhere? .
in the end, it's mostly evidence that we hire terribly.

GatorKen714

May 24, 2018
I would get that if it were still all Foley in the UAA. But I'll give Stricklin one bit of praise in that he did at least swing hard last time with some big names in Frost and Kelly. He just didn't land them. I'm certainly not trilled with him and would be in favor of a complete reset at the top. But he didn't go straight for WM and/or McElwain types. We just ended up there.

He couldn't recruit either!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.