RVs--- I don't get it

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I went biking today and part of my "normal" course takes me through a state park. Plenty of big honking RVs in there with loud, stinky generators. What is the point? If you really can't live without AC and a big screen, why bother leaving home?

oxrageous

Founding Member
It's Good to be King
Administrator
Jun 5, 2014
Founding Member
You can enjoy the great outdoors through the windows.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I get it with old people I suppose. Maybe they need the AC or have oxygen tanks. Maybe it's the family weekend getaway and it's the only chance to see the grandkids. Some of these people are pretty young though. I can't even rationalize why they would do it.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
RVers are more like people who own a cabin in the woods or at the lake. Nothing wrong with that. Their cabin just moves around. Plus, its more for long term getaways usually. How many times have you camped for a week or two straight? With the wife and kids? Probably not very often.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I stay in hotels. Why the hell would I want to camp more than a couple days for my kids' Cub Scout trips or a fun little getaway?

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My best friend and his fiancé just bought one of the big bus types . They got it because he'll be retiring in a couple of years , and they're planning on travelling the country. They crunched the numbers and figured for as much and where they want to go it'll be the most economical way to go , plus , he's a big hunter and fisherman so he won't have to deal with checking his weapons with the airlines etc. And they can bring their dogs etc.

TallyGator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I am surprised that for the money those things cost they haven't figured out how to "muffle" those damn generators. If I could afford one, I'd buy one...a house on wheels with satellite TV and interweb...yeah baby...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Zambo;n10510 said:
RVers are more like people who own a cabin in the woods or at the lake. Nothing wrong with that. Their cabin just moves around. Plus, its more for long term getaways usually. How many times have you camped for a week or two straight? With the wife and kids? Probably not very often.
Yeah, I've done it quite a few times. We didn't call it camping though.

With the fam, no. But my wife would just want to stay at a hotel most likely. Given the price of RVs these days and the fact that I can buy 1,000 nights in a 4 star hotel for the price of one of those RVs, I think I know which I'd choose. I don't get 1000 days of vacation.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator said:
My best friend and his fiancé just bought one of the big bus types . They got it because he'll be retiring in a couple of years , and they're planning on travelling the country. They crunched the numbers and figured for as much and where they want to go it'll be the most economical way to go , plus , he's a big hunter and fisherman so he won't have to deal with checking his weapons with the airlines etc. And they can bring their dogs etc.
I can see that. Like I said earlier, I see plenty of yuppies parked in those things though.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator said:
can you honestly see some yuppie assed yankee really camping.? I've gone backpacking with a few guys I know out here in Cali who are supposed country boys that couldn't handle it that there are no porta johns or flush toilets out in the backcountry, it's actually funny as all hell.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I could maybe camp out in this.

RV%20retirement%2007.jpg

Jabberdave

Founding Member
Your mom is very pretty.
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Ma Jabber and her husband purchased one a little over a year ago. Very nice inside. They're never home, especially now that Ma officially retired in February. They've got their two little rat dogs and they cruise all over the place. She did say that the bus is more than they care to deal with for more than about four hours per day, so they carefully plan where they will be and when. The only time the plan hasn't worked was when they were up in DC last November and intended to stay for Thanksgiving, but the weather turned forcing them south sooner than they expected. They left to avoid icy roads.

I know theirs has a generator, but I can't think of when they'd use it. Maybe the few times they crashed in a rest stop or something. Usually, the fancy campgrounds where they stay have power. But, if I'm not mistaken, theirs is internal and may be part of the primary motor. I know it runs on diesel.

I should mention that they lived in the thing for about two months while the floors and cabinets were installed in their house. Odd that the RV cost more than the house is worth even after renovations.

agrigator

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Jabberdave said:
Ma Jabber and her husband purchased one a little over a year ago. Very nice inside. They're never home, especially now that Ma officially retired in February. They've got their two little rat dogs and they cruise all over the place. She did say that the bus is more than they care to deal with for more than about four hours per day, so they carefully plan where they will be and when. The only time the plan hasn't worked was when they were up in DC last November and intended to stay for Thanksgiving, but the weather turned forcing them south sooner than they expected. They left to avoid icy roads.

I know theirs has a generator, but I can't think of when they'd use it. Maybe the few times they crashed in a rest stop or something. Usually, the fancy campgrounds where they stay have power. But, if I'm not mistaken, theirs is internal and may be part of the primary motor. I know it runs on diesel.

I should mention that they lived in the thing for about two months while the floors and cabinets were installed in their house. Odd that the RV cost more than the house is worth even after renovations.
Jabber, don't go a knocking when their RV is a rocking.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Only reason I can see to buy an RV is if you have pets that can't stay in hotels.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
TallyGator;n10515 said:
I am surprised that for the money those things cost they haven't figured out how to "muffle" those damn generators. If I could afford one, I'd buy one...a house on wheels with satellite TV and interweb...yeah baby...

Honda has a quiet series of generators that are practically silent and sip fuel. A little pricey, but an amazing piece of equipment:
http://powerequipment.honda.com/generators/models/eu3000is

DocZaius

Founding Member
Return to Monke
Lifetime Member
Jun 23, 2014
Founding Member
**** the haters. I just got back from a trip to Alaska with my family - we rented an RV for a week and it was glorious. We moved from campground to campground, parked the RV, hiked all day and came back, slept, and were ready to move on to the next site in the morning. We could cook a nice meal, use a toilet that actually flushed and even got to take a shower once in a while.

That was pretty nice, especially considering how remote many of the places we visited were.

edit: I can't say "****" here? That's bull****. Also, we never started the generator and never camped anywhere with RV hookups - although it would have been nice to be able to have unlimited fresh water at shower time.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
sonomagator said:
****ting in the woods is the easy part. The tough part is that you are supposed to bag your TP and carry it out of the backcountry with you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb