Saban dismisses UCF's self-proclaimed national title

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The thing that always goes over everybody's heads when they make this kind of ridiculous analogy is that your nephew isn't competing in the WBF. UCF is part of the FBS. It should never be set up where a team can win every game and not even have a chance to play for the title. Any team that has not chance at the title, no matter what they do on the field, needs to be put in a different league.
I agree. But they are in a different league/division. Everyone knows it. Do people think FAU is really a champion also?

But....any team that cant win it's division much less it's conference, should never get a chance to set foot on a playoff field.

We are destroying college football with this shyt.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Ok. 3 kids & 2 of their spouses are UCF alumni and/or current students. I loved every minute of their season. I do not think it’s right or good to claim your own title and buy your own trophies. No one outside the 407 is supporting that nonsense. But it is effective PR.

All that said, I do love the bur this puts under Bama’s saddle. And I hasten to add that UCF is 1-0 all time vs. Bama (in 2000). Of course, Bama lost to many directional schools during some of their low years.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I agree. But they are in a different league/division. Everyone knows it. Do people think FAU is really a champion also?

But....any team that cant win it's division much less it's conference, should never get a chance to set foot on a playoff field.

We are destroying college football with this shyt.
By "different league" you mean a non-P5 league. We've said that even though the national title is the FBS championship, effectively we are saying that its really the P5 championship. Which is fine, except that we have the pesky problem of dozens of teams in other FBS conferences that basically have no title to play for, which is just as stupid as letting a non-conference champion into the playoff.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
By "different league" you mean a non-P5 league. We've said that even though the national title is the FBS championship, effectively we are saying that its really the P5 championship. Which is fine, except that we have the pesky problem of dozens of teams in other FBS conferences that basically have no title to play for, which is just as stupid as letting a non-conference champion into the playoff.
I know. And I agree there should be a bowl game for the top two G5 teams to crown their champion.

Hell, I'd go back to 100 schollies for P5 and remove a bunch of the silly crap we've had crammed down our throats by the midget leagues.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
I know. And I agree there should be a bowl game for the top two G5 teams to crown their champion.

Hell, I'd go back to 100 schollies for P5 and remove a bunch of the silly crap we've had crammed down our throats by the midget leagues.

8 team playoff. P5 champs plus 3 at-large, one of which must be the top G5 team if it’s top 15.

1st round gets played at the higher seeds’ home stadiums 2 weeks after the conference championships. First round losers are bowl eligible. Winners go to final four and those winners to the championship which flow as they do now.

Any down side?

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
He is from FSU and ESPN. He doesn't bother with facts.
Yeah, I thought that was pretty hilarious. Sticks his neck out on the facts and promptly inserts his foot in his mouth.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
8 team playoff. P5 champs plus 3 at-large, one of which must be the top G5 team if it’s top 15.

1st round gets played at the higher seeds’ home stadiums 2 weeks after the conference championships. First round losers are bowl eligible. Winners go to final four and those winners to the championship which flow as they do now.

Any down side?
Yeah top 15 of what? Much better would be:

1. SEC Champs
2. Big cant count past 10 Champs
3. Big we once had 12 Champs
4. ACC Champs
5. PAC12 Champs
6. AAC Champs v. Top independent or wildcard play in winner (I guess reserved for UAL when they don't win the SEC)
7. MWC Champs v. MAC Champsplay in winner
8. C-USA Champs v. Sunbelt Champs play in winner

This is really a 12 team playoff and I would guess it would quickly become 16 with 5 wildcards rather than the 1 I have.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
?
Yeah, nothing but downsides. There arent 8 teams with a claim to the NC. This year there were only three plus UCF, the others having either lost too many games (Suckeyes) or failed to win a championship (Trailerbammer). Some years it is only two. Some years more.

Id let all the zero or one loss champions in. Adjust the brackets acccording to number of teams and one give top teamsnthe bye or tune ul vs minornconference.

If we keep watering down the regular seasons, it will continue to become like basketball, no one GAF until March.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
Yeah, nothing but downsides. There arent 8 teams with a claim to the NC. This year there were only three plus UCF, the others having either lost too many games (Suckeyes) or failed to win a championship (Trailerbammer). Some years it is only two. Some years more.

Id let all the zero or one loss champions in. Adjust the brackets acccording to number of teams and one give top teamsnthe bye or tune ul vs minornconference.

If we keep watering down the regular seasons, it will continue to become like basketball, no one GAF until March.
Couldn’t agree more. Watch football on Sunday if you want a meaningless season and watered down playoff. 4 is a stretch as it is. For those that actually spend their Saturday’s in the fall actually watching games, there is nothing like the cfb regular season. I regularly switch to upsets in the making as they are ocurring. Go to 8 or god forbid 16 teams and suddenly that Clemson/NC State or Oklahoma/Iowa State game loose all their juice.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
There arent 8 teams with a claim to the NC. This year there were only three plus UCF, the others having either lost too many games (Suckeyes) or failed to win a championship (Trailerbammer). Some years it is only two. Some years more.

The issue with a playoff is the trade-off between possibly not letting the best team in the field v. making the field so big that the best team often does not win it. In basketball there have been a few clearly have been a few Zona or Valvano NCSU teams to win the 68 team tourney without being one of the very best teams in, generally 68 has not led to a lot of flukey winners.

With your theory about lost too many games, you are advocating penalizing UF for playing FSU and on the road half the time. Your theory of what makes a team worthy is one that leads to dumbed down schedules.

I would rather go with teams that win their conference and see whether 2 losses in conference means the conference was a dog fight that year or a bunch of even mediocre teams. You prefer to see Ohio State v. Kent State. I would rather see Ohio State v. Oklahoma like last year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The issue with a playoff is the trade-off between possibly not letting the best team in the field .
I dont GAF about subjective "best team in the field". If Bama loses to Barn in November, they just lost the first round of the playoff. Tough shyt. Should have won. Maybe next year.

We are already DAMN close to having Bama sit their starters and avoid the SEC championship game potential land mine. Why wouldnt you if you were 11-0 and already guaranteed a BCS slot? Im sure they have at least thought about it.

Fvkk that.

You people pimping this BS disgust me. You absolutely want to destroy college football and make it just as useless as basketball or pro football.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
There is no such thing as the “best” team. This is the concept that continually eludes people. There are only the winners of the games and the losers of the games. The point of a playoff isn’t to determine which team is “best.” The point of a playoff is to determine a champion.

The fastest way to water down the regular season is to let teams that don’t win their conference into the playoff. And the best thing about playoffs is that the so-called “best” team doesn’t always win.

FlGator19382

Oct 7, 2017
There is no such thing as the “best” team. This is the concept that continually eludes people. There are only the winners of the games and the losers of the games. The point of a playoff isn’t to determine which team is “best.” The point of a playoff is to determine a champion.

The fastest way to water down the regular season is to let teams that don’t win their conference into the playoff. And the best thing about playoffs is that the so-called “best” team doesn’t always win.

So in that case Creyers OSU team who lost to an unranked Iowa team by 30 points should have been in over Bama?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator