Saban rejected Cormani McClain

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Considering Season 3 GIF by Portlandia

Foul ball! I can't remember what I said eight minutes ago let alone eight months.

bacongator

Oct 10, 2014
This is exactly what I observed his Sr year playing for the Lakeland Dreadnaughts. Multiple infractions that Bill Castle did not tolerate. He was ineligible (CD) for two regular season games and had some in game suspensions at other times all related to him acting like all he had to do is strap it on. I actually have to respect Sanders for putting his foot down. McClain will be at UCF or USF next season.
Well, to be fair, it is only about half a foot now.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
This is exactly what I observed his Sr year playing for the Lakeland Dreadnaughts. Multiple infractions that Bill Castle did not tolerate. He was ineligible (CD) for two regular season games and had some in game suspensions at other times all related to him acting like all he had to do is strap it on. I actually have to respect Sanders for putting his foot down. McClain will be at UCF or USF next season.
And perhaps we now know why McClain’s not a Gator? Maybe Billy became aware of McClain’s attitude and decided to step back? Or they too weren’t going to pony up the kind of coin Cormani was looking for? Sounds like we avoided a potential cancer.

Back Alley Gator

Lifetime Member
Jul 16, 2018
Jake Gyllenhaal Reaction GIF

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Saban will still pull elite players because he prepares them for the league. These are kids who can probably get there regardless. However, Saban teaches them how to be a pro and prepare for life after college. Could easily be the difference between the 1st and fourth round as well.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Yep, it comes down to the market. He can afford to be choosey.
A million bucks seems like a lot to a kid or to 21 year old adults. Good recruiters will keep trying to swim upstream, and they will for a while. But don't look now, College football is now a pro league with some fill-ins playing because they like the game and a scholi.

Last edited:

Spurffelbow833

Supporting Member
Jun 23, 2020
I thought coaches weren't supposed to be involved in NIL deals:scratchchin:

Also, everyone knows Bama pays in vehicles, not cash :lol:
He doesn't have to be. He's only refusing to sign them, which has always been the domain of a head coach.

Bushmaster

Lifetime Member
Jul 27, 2018

Yeah, planting them 3 toes on the ground really makes a statement.

Joegator96

Lifetime Member
Nov 5, 2019
Yeah, planting them 3 toes on the ground really makes a statement.
It certainly should resonate within the team, similar to Napier keeping Mazzeula on the bench during the second half as "internal" decision. Like him or loathe him Sanders is attempting to set a work ethic standard for his players. McClain needs some tough love as he is severely undisciplined with reems of god given talent which covered his lack of preparation at HS

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
A million bucks seems like a lot to a kid or to 21 year old adults. Good recruiters will keep trying to swim upstream, and they will for a while. But don't look now, College football is now a pro league with some fill-ins playing because they like the game and a scholi.
Pretty sure a million is a lot for anyone these days

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Pretty sure a million is a lot for anyone these days

I knew a guy who started a business and made 1.5 mil. That was over 30 years ago. He could have kept going but figured it was enough and decided to play golf full time. It took him 6 months to figure out it wasn't enough. 1.5 mil then is what now? And this guy wasn't 20. He was 40.
1 mil isn't going to sustain your average 20 year old football player. The problem is they'll think it will.

Mr2Bits

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I knew a guy who started a business and made 1.5 mil. That was over 30 years ago. He could have kept going but figured it was enough and decided to play golf full time. It took him 6 months to figure out it wasn't enough. 1.5 mil then is what now? And this guy wasn't 20. He was 40.
1 mil isn't going to sustain your average 20 year old football player. The problem is they'll think it will.
Oh I know that for sure....as it pertains to your buddy, being married to the game can be pricey!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.