Saban terrified: Auburn to hire Boise State's Bryan Harsin as head coach

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Or what, you'll ban me?

All you've done is remind me how awful Bama fans are. We haven't dealt with an obnoxious one in years around here, so I had thankfully forgotten.
Are you stupid? Or just waiting on a brain transplant? I am definitely not obnoxious. If you feel that I am then I'm truly sorry. But you accused me of defending Updyke but then refuse to provide any proof other than that one pathetic example that was not defending him at all. So, unless you can do better I'll just go with you are a bold-faced liar and let it go...

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Auburn - who just got burned on the Gus contract extension - gives Harsin a similar contract (with no offset requirement, 70% buyout). They're also paying Harsin's new staff about $20K more than Gus' last staff - almost $7 million in total (on field staff and S&C coach):

Harsin's Auburn deal pays an average of $5.25M

New Auburn football coach Bryan Harsin has signed a six-year contract with the school that will pay him an average of $5.25 million, according to documents released Monday.

Harsin, who came to Auburn from Boise State in December, is signed through Dec. 31, 2026. His salary begins at $5 million and increases by $100,000 on Jan. 1 of each year of the contract. Harsin's bonus structure includes $100,000 for winning the SEC West Division and $250,000 for winning an SEC championship.

He will earn $200,000 for every New Year's Six bowl appearance; $300,000 for reaching the College Football Playoff; $400,000 for reaching the national title game and $800,000 for winning a national championship.

If Auburn fires Harsin without cause, it will owe the coach 70% of his remaining salary through the contract term, half of which will be paid within 30 days of termination. The remaining 50% would be paid out over four years, and Harsin's guarantee is not subject to offset or mitigation. Auburn had a similarly structured agreement with Harsin's predecessor, Gus Malzahn, who was fired in December. Malzahn was owed more than $21 million on his contract, and he received half of the amount within 30 days. UCF last month hired Malzahn as its coach. Malzahn earned $6,927,589 at Auburn in 2020.

If Harsin leaves Auburn before the end of the contract, he would owe the school $7 million in the first year, $5 million in the second year and $3 million in the third year. His buyout then drops by $1 million apiece in the fourth and fifth years of the agreement.

Harsin, 44, earned $1.85 million at Boise State in 2020. He comes to Auburn with a 76-24 record in eight seasons as a head coach.

All told, Auburn is committing $6.84 million to the new staff (on-field assistants plus strength coach) for the 2021 season, AL.com shares.

The investment in the staff is slightly more than what Auburn committed to the previous staff under Gus Malzahn, where they allocated $6.76 million to their 10-on field assistants.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
The retarded coaching contracts never end.
And he has zero chance of being as good at beating Saban occasionally as Malzahn.

They shouldve just rehired Malzahn after they figured out they had the second best coach in the SEC, as mediocre as he is.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
Harsin's bonus structure includes $100,000 for winning the SEC West Division and $250,000 for winning an SEC championship.

He will earn $200,000 for every New Year's Six bowl appearance; $300,000 for reaching the College Football Playoff; $400,000 for reaching the national title game and $800,000 for winning a national championship.
Me thinks these are checks the Barn will never have to write.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
And he has zero chance of being as good at beating Saban occasionally as Malzahn.

They shouldve just rehired Malzahn after they figured out they had the second best coach in the SEC, as mediocre as he is.

yep. It was a mistake.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Solid hire. I'd be happy if I was an Auburn fan. The only downside is he doesn't have SEC ties. Other than that, landing a proven 8 year head coach is much better than taking a risk on a coordinator.
Or a 9 year head coach proven he's good for 4 loses a year.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Or a 9 year head coach proven he's good for 4 loses a year.
But it was at Boise so he will do better with SEC recruits....

or some such garbage.

I dont pump shttty coaches well.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
But it was at Boise so he will do better with SEC recruits....

or some such garbage.

I don't pump shttty coaches well.
I was talking about Mullinz and us being the dumbasses thinking that he wouldn't lose 4 games a year once he had Florida recruits because you know, no one can win at cowbell. But I'm sure Harsin will be good for 4 losses a year too.

Not sure it's fair to judge a coach on his ability to beat Little Nicky though. Malzahn was the best with 3 wins. How many active coaches are there currently that have ever beaten him? Dabo, Ogre, Freeze....anyone else?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Who beat Lil Nick?

Les
Ogre
Freeze
The guy at Cowbell before Mullinz.
Sumlin
SOS
Meyer
Dabo

All those Blueberry State coaches fall flat on their faces when they leave. Like Mullinz, I'm sure it's glad to put the money in his pocket.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator