Safety Positions

GIGator

Founding Member
No One Important!
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Who do you guys think will be the stars at the Safety positions, this year? Below is a breakdown by ESPN. In my opinion, it's the biggest question mark on the defense. I do expect at least one of the younger guys to make a name for himself. Editor’s note: We’re breaking down the Gators’ two-deep depth chart every day for the next two weeks. We’ll cover every position as well as offer a glimpse into the future. You can read the whole series here. SAFETY The starters: Senior Jabari Gorman and sophomore Marcus Maye The backups: Sophomore Keanu Neal and redshirt freshman Nick Washington [+] Enlarge Derick E. Hingle/USA TODAY Sports Safety Jabari Gorman has played in 37 games for the Gators. The rest: Redshirt freshman Marcell Harris The lowdown: Four starting safeties have departed in the last two seasons -- Matt Elam, Josh Evans and Jaylen Watkins left for the NFL, and Cody Riggs transferred to Notre Dame. Most programs could not withstand that kind of exodus, but the Gators are not expecting much of a drop-off in 2014. With 37 games under his belt, Gorman is the veteran of this unit. He started five games last season and was sixth on the team with 48 tackles. He gives a young and inexperienced group a vocal leader to rely upon. Maye and Neal played in all of Florida's 12 games last season, mostly on special teams. Maye started the first two games of the season, but a couple of key mistakes kept him out of the starting lineup for the rest of the season. Still, his experience could give Maye an edge this fall. He'll have to hold off Neal, a physical presence, and two other talented redshirt freshmen. Washington and Harris missed last season with injuries, but both made solid impressions in spring practice. Harris, at 6-foot-1 and 208 pounds, has good range for his size. Washington is better in coverage and spent some time at cornerback and nickel during the spring. The future: The Gators don't have overwhelming numbers at safety, but with their preference for bigger cornerbacks, it's possible that some position movement will occur down the road. Class of 2014 signee Quincy Wilson is one who comes to mind. He has the speed and athleticism to start his career at cornerback, but at 6-1 and 197 pounds, he could end up at safety. The same could be said of Florida's two 2015 cornerback commits, Marcus Lewis and Jalen Julius. UF coaches have the luxury of trying them at corner and moving them if they aren't earning playing time. The Gators are still looking for more in their next class. Deontai Williams, a hard-hitting ESPN 300 prospect, was the first pledge in the class. Florida's top remaining target is ESPN 300 athlete Jaquan Johnson.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Gorman is the day one starter. There is no doubt there. Maye has the edge on Neal right now, but as we have seen in the past Maye can get lost in coverage. I expect Maye to start, but I think Keanu Neal will eventually take over the spot. Neal is a playmaker and a big hitter. When he gets some game experience back there I think he can be great.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Safety play was atrocious last year. They just were never there to cover the deep ball and often blew their man to man assignments completely. It's bad when the other team throws a deep ball and the safety doesn't even manage to get on the same tv screen (when they are running 1-- most of the time-- or 2 high schemes). Unfortunately, Maye was one of the problems and he gave way to Watkins who was little better.

Let's hope they are much improved this year. There's no place to go but up.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Nick Washington had a strong spring. He may push for a starting position before the season gets too far along.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hopefully one of the new guys can teach the old ones how to tackle.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68 said:
I'm real sure the kids will work all summer on teaching Riggs and Watkins how to tackle

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68;n6918 said:

That's really about the only complaint I've had about our defenses in recent years. Poor tackling at times.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68 said:
Errrr.....you might want to check your roster.

GIGator

Founding Member
No One Important!
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Law98gator;n6860 said:
Safety play was atrocious last year. They just were never there to cover the deep ball and often blew their man to man assignments completely. It's bad when the other team throws a deep ball and the safety doesn't even manage to get on the same tv screen (when they are running 1-- most of the time-- or 2 high schemes). Unfortunately, Maye was one of the problems and he gave way to Watkins who was little better. I agree, Law. I was not sad, at all, to see Riggs transfer. He's a great kid, but, he was no SEC Safety. I'm going to go with Gorman, as the one that will lead the way

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Am I the only one who thought Harris looked like a stud in the spring. Gorman should definitely be a starter but Harris and Neal are the future at that position.

8802Gator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
t-gator;n6978 said:
Am I the only one who thought Harris looked like a stud in the spring. Gorman should definitely be a starter but Harris and Neal are the future at that position.
Harris and Washington are working back from injuries from last year. Harris is a really big dude for a safety. He will be an asset to us in the run game, but he will have to prove he has the quicks to play in coverage. Washington is very good in coverage and will probably get quite a bit of time in our nickel package. Which will probably be our main defensive scheme this year. I cant wait to see what Neal does this year. He is a very impressive athlete. Big, strong, runs very well, and is a big hitter. He will be exciting to watch.

CaribGator

Founding Member
Snappy for Nappy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Maye got burned early and was yanked. There was a slight improvement but it seemed during every game the safeties were out of position and as others have mentioned, the tackling has to improve.

sonomagator

Founding Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
LagoonGator68 said:
errrr...don't need to , the old guys (riggs and Watkins) are gone, Sarcasm

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
8802Gator said:
t-gator;n6978 said:
Harris and Washington are working back from injuries from last year. Harris is a really big dude for a safety. He will be an asset to us in the run game, but he will have to prove he has the quicks to play in coverage. Washington is very good in coverage and will probably get quite a bit of time in our nickel package. Which will probably be our main defensive scheme this year. I cant wait to see what Neal does this year. He is a very impressive athlete. Big, strong, runs very well, and is a big hitter. He will be exciting to watch.
I get that.I'm just a fan of big scary looking safetys,and Harris just looks like a ball player. He looked good in the spring and was an all American comming out highschool. I'm sure Washington is right there with him I'm just biased because of my high hopes for him.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator