Samsung Android Apps

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@URGatorBait, knowing that you have the Note 5, and are very familiar with the technology, I hope that you can point me in the right direction.

I recently switched from a Motorola phone to a Samsung s7. Motorola has an app called Moto (previously called Moto Actions) where I could set times to allow phone calls, texts, & notifications thru, and times when it was silent for those things (various other features too). You could also assign priority contacts that would override the settings letting them thru. I'm willing to bet that Samsung has a similar app, or there is a viable alternative. Can you comment on this?

Also, what other tips & tricks would you share regarding Samsung Android devices?

Anyone else is welcome to chime in as well.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
@URGatorBait, knowing that you have the Note 5, and are very familiar with the technology, I hope that you can point me in the right direction.

I recently switched from a Motorola phone to a Samsung s7. Motorola has an app called Moto (previously called Moto Actions) where I could set times to allow phone calls, texts, & notifications thru, and times when it was silent for those things (various other features too). You could also assign priority contacts that would override the settings letting them thru. I'm willing to bet that Samsung has a similar app, or there is a viable alternative. Can you comment on this?

Also, what other tips & tricks would you share regarding Samsung Android devices?

Anyone else is welcome to chime in as well.
I want to say I've heard of it, but not sure because I've never used anything like that.
Give me a few to look into it

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
where I could set times to allow phone calls, texts, & notifications thru, and times when it was silent for those things (various other features too). You could also assign priority contacts that would override the settings letting them thru. I'm willing to bet that Samsung has a similar app, or there is a viable alternative. Can you comment on this?
Okay, pull down from the top of the screen.
Will look like this:
20161202_132826.png

The function you are looking for is the "Do Not Disturb" one.

Press and hold until it brings up the the menu and you can do exactly what you are describing.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
the Do Not Disturb is only a toggle, it's either off or on. The one I am looking for you can predetermine set times for each day and it automatically changes based on the settings.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
that's a scaled down version, but it'll work for now. - :thumbup:

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I meant scaled down in relation to the Moto app. In the moto app you could shake you phone in one action to turn the camera on, but in a different action to turn the flashlight on. Samsung spreads their commands out over different apps.
Uhh, okay.
Still does exactly what you described :lol:

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This couldn't have been a PM?

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
This couldn't have been a PM?
;)
He specifically asked you for your knowledge of the phone. He only asked others to chime in at the last minute.

I opened this thread because I have a new phone. :suspect:

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
He specifically asked you for your knowledge of the phone. He only asked others to chime in at the last minute.

I opened this thread because I have a new phone. :suspect:
Whaaaa? Did you ditch the iphone?

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'd also like to get input on other tips & trix for the phone. NV, you're even welcome to chime in.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'd also like to get input on other tips & trix for the phone. NV, you're even welcome to chime in.
Always run it on the regular power saving mode.
It changes very little for daily use and does save the battery some.

If you find yourself some place that is notorious for having a bad signal and/or you know you'll be a while before you can charge it, use the ultra power saving mode. It does limit how you can use it and puts everything on a grey scale, but it can really stretch out the life of a charge. Or you could just put it in airplane mode as well and it won't even search for a signal.

Is there anything specific you are looking for?
Seeing as how you've already had an android phone in the Motorola, you are probably accustomed to most of the apps

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
just things that are more Samsung specific. I do like how the drop down menu has more options that the Moto phone, but that could be the newer version of Android instead of the brand.

I'll try the power saving mode.

This phone is much smaller than my Droid, but the battery only has about 25% less capacity. That's a plus.

I really don't care what they say, the more you charge a phone, or whether it just happens over time, battery life does suffer. that's why I prefer not to continually charge.
when I first bought the Droid I only had to charge every other day, and I was good, but recently I had to charge it every night, sometimes during the day (depending on usage obviously)

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
If you are using this site on mobile, I would suggest using either Google Chrome or Opera web browsers (not the Opera mini web browser). Both work well.

This site uses more data than others I've noticed and with both of those browsers you can compress data a little bit and see no difference in usage. I do tend to have to charge more often if I'm on this site

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Trux, I've been meaning to ask, do you stream music on your phone? If not some others might find this useful, but if so, from at least Android 6.0 on, there is a function called "Doze". Which is a battery life saving technique they built into the OS version.
It keeps apps from mindlessly running in the background when the screen is off and not in motion (such as resting on a desk, as many do when listening to music with the screen off). Great for saving battery life, but shuts down your music when streaming it or even playing from your downloaded play lists.

You can allow for specific apps to continue running in the background, such as your music apps.

First, click on the settings gear at the top of the pull down screen. Looks like this.

Screenshot_20161224-133730.jpg

Then, scroll all the way down to the bottom and look for the "Battery" within settings, and click on it.

Screenshot_20161224-133925.jpg

After clicking, your screen should look similar to this

Screenshot_20161224-134102.jpg

Once on this screen, click on that "Battery Usage" tab and it will take you to this

Screenshot_20161224-134304.jpg

From this screen, click "More" in the top right.
Which will open a tab

Screenshot_20161224-134435.jpg

Click the "Optimize Battery Usage"

The first screen it takes you too shows first which apps are currently NOT optimized, which means they are NOT included in the "Doze" feature and will not turn off with the screen off and phone stationary.

Screenshot_20161224-134650.jpg

You'll then click where it says "Apps Not Optimized" which will bring up a menu with another option for "All Apps"

Screenshot_20161224-134718.png

Once you click on All Apps, it will bring up a full list of all your apps on the device. You can then pick and choose which apps you want "Optimized" by leaving it "On" (will shut off in the background when not active), or "Not Optimized" turning that app "Off" (will NOT stop running in the background when not active).
I turned "Off" all my music streaming and native music player apps, and all run perfectly with screen off.

Let me know if you have any questions :thumbup:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator