Satellite camp ban rescinded by NCAA

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Chalk another one up for Harbaugh.

Their excuse is total BS. If they are worried about "opportunities" for underprivileged kids then they should do away w/ scholarship limits and let schools sign as many of these "poor" kids as they want!

https://www.seccountry.com/sec-news/satellite-camp-ban-rescinded-by-ncaa-board-of-directors

he ban on satellite camps was short-lived after the decision was rescinded by the NCAA Board of Directors on Thursday. The decision overruled a ban created by the Division I Council, which was told on Thursday to re-evaluate “the football recruiting environment.”

“The Board of Directors is interested in a holistic review of the football recruiting environment, and camps are a piece of that puzzle,” Board of Directors chairman and South Carolina president Harris Pastides said in a release. “We share the Council’s interest in improving the camp environment, and we support the Council’s efforts to create a model that emphasizes the scholastic environment as an appropriate place for recruiting future student-athletes.”

The SEC fought against the satellite camps after Michigan coach Jim Harbaugh created waves by holding camps throughout the Southeast and other parts of country last year. He continued to poke the bear by holding a spring break camp at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla., which drew criticism from some in the SEC, including conference commissioner Greg Sankey.

While the ban was considered a win for the big programs in the SEC, it was panned by many as a punishment for recruits who were stripped of potential opportunities to impress coaches from other regions.

Earlier in the week, the U.S. Department of Justice reportedly began “informal inquiries” about the legality of the ban for limiting opportunities for potential student-athletes.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Chalk another one up for Harbaugh.

He continued to poke the bear by holding a spring break camp at IMG Academy in Bradenton, Fla.

He was probably poking something else.

jeeping8r

Your car may go fast, Mine will go anywhere
Lifetime Member
Dec 18, 2015
Anything to do with minorities will get this administration inquiring.

So unofficial and official visits aren't good enough anymore? Do these visits limit the recruits from showing their wares? Reckon video is no good anymore either.... Must not have a good enough shelf life for the "powers that be"

Last edited:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
There was a really great article on this and why the ban was bad for the kids. It made a ton of sense.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
There was a really great article on this and why the ban was bad for the kids. It made a ton of sense.
Yeah, they went overboard to begin with. The camps weren't the problem, it was the "field trip practices" that needed to be addressed. The NCAA is proving themselves incapable.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah, they went overboard to begin with. The camps weren't the problem, it was the "field trip practices" that needed to be addressed. The NCAA is proving themselves incapable.

Pretty god reason to overturn it. You're spot on, MJM.

They should put in a distance limit as well. There's no reason that Michigan should have a satellite camp in Florida. Put something like a 200 mile radius into effect.

Jenny On The Railroad

Founding Member
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Chalk one up to the PC police...
If you wanna get PC, the whole concept is discriminatory against smaller colleges with smaller funds who can't afford to do these camps. Unfair recruiting advantage as it increases proximity for "accidental" meetings and increases exposure at targeted high schools. Harbaugh has connections and how comforting that the DOJ will act like lightning on football while the wheels stall out on what most people would consider more serious matters.

Edit: Being the football ignoramous I am, I don't really get the difference between camps and practices in fForida. The latter was definitely on my mind when I was writing.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
If you wanna get PC, the whole concept is discriminatory against smaller colleges with smaller funds who can't afford to do these camps. Unfair recruiting advantage as it increases proximity for "accidental" meetings and increases exposure at targeted high schools. Harbaugh has connections and how comforting that the DOJ will act like lightning on football while the wheels stall out on what most people would consider more serious matters.

Edit: Being the football ignoramous I am, I don't really get the difference between camps and practices in fForida. The latter was definitely on my mind when I was writing.

I agree w/ you on the Spring Practice issue. This is a recruiting advantage that is ridiculous. I've pointed out before, the NCAA regulates how big a school's media guide can be (to prevent it from being a recruiting advantage...as they were getting bigger and bigger and schools were outdoing each other w/ ridiculously extravagant media guides). But they're going to let schools take all-expenses paid spring break field trips to Florida to hold a few spring practices? It's a joke. Can Central Michigan or Eastern Michigan afford to do this? Hell no. It's a recruiting advantage period.

I have no problem w/ co-hosting a camp somewhere, it's just a practice session. I think we should be doing it at places like FAU, UNC-Charlotte, Georgia State (Atlanta), and maybe ODU (in Norfolk).....somewhere in Louisiana may not be a bad idea either. But, why not do one or two a year?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
From another site:

With the satellite camp ban overturned, the SEC and ACC have quickly jumped on board, including some collaboration you might not expect.

Michigan and Georgia will team up for a camp in Atlanta. Yes, this comes after Harbaugh and Kirby Smart threw some barbs at each other over Michigan’s practice at IMG Academy. The camp is actually run by Cedar Grove High School, and head coach Jimmy Smith called Harbaugh to ask if he’d be alright with UGA coming, too, and Harbaugh was all for it.

Harbaugh will also be at a camp with Ole Miss and Mississippi State coaches in the Magnolia State. Hugh Freeze and Harbaugh had a back-and-forth last month, and Mississippi State is obviously a rival. A “Mega Camp” hosted by Mary Hardin Baylor (TX) will also include Oklahoma State, Arizona State, Boise State, Missouri, Kansas State, Ole Miss, Northwestern, Colorado State, Arkansas State and Stephen F. Austin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator