Savage

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. “The great new strength coach” is among the offseason cliches in college football, largely because nobody knows which ones are the best.
seems like just yesterday when we were cheering that dillman was gone and we had a great new strength coach who was going to make sure our players didn't get injured.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
seems like just yesterday when we were cheering that dillman was gone and we had a great new strength coach who was going to make sure our players didn't get injured.

Yep, and he just got fired....by Muschamp. That's gotta be hard to do (unless you're an OC). I'm surprised Muschamp was able to pull the coach from Ole Miss (although there was a coaching change, so he was likely to be unemployed anyway). Muschamp had 5 coaches jump ship this off-season (a couple got fired on the O side, as usual).

Go to an FSU board, they're all raving about their new S&C coach - basically saying the same things UF fans were/are saying after Mike Kent. I think we win that argument w/ FSU fans on who's S&C coach was worse (under butters vs. wt).

I keep reading these "we need to pay Savage!" comments - umm, he is getting paid, the going rate. He's a 3 year head S&C coach and these people want to pay him like he's a 20 year seasoned veteran. He's not even 30 years old and is in the top 20 in the country in salary. He's probably happier than a pig in sh*t with his salary.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014

I agree, that's what most people do in any profession - take bits and pieces from everywhere they've been (or from leaders they've worked for) and implement their own system. I think these guys flexing like they are give the impression of "bodybuilding". If they would just stand there and not puff up, I'm sure they look pretty good - but not as "bodybuilder-ish".

Marotti did a great job of not letting Tebow get too big - he was already 230-ish when he arrived on campus and never really gained much more than 5-10 pounds. This is a great example of one player being trained properly.

Copeland was huge last year (physically). I think he'll be fine. Honestly, overall - so far we have to be impressed w/ what Savage has done.

Last edited:

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
Slaton only played DT in spots in high school. He was a 5 star guard. No one wanted him on the d-line. Saban and many others pulled their scholarship offer once he said he wanted to play DT in college. All Butters did was sign an elite athlete who he then had to basically teach how to play the position.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014

Hard to become a top end DT when you are still eating McDonald's, Krispy Kreme and so on. He says he can't put the stuff down. He is only "cutting back a little bit." He said that in an interview earlier in the season. Work ethic has been a criticism of Slaton his entire UF career.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
Is it a scheme or strength issue? I thought we were in agreement its scheme (blocking) at this point. Wouldn’t it be tough to evaluate the strength part if the scheme is disadvantageous?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
:lmao2:

Sounds hard. The other teams have weightrooms too it appears.

It's a lot easier just to run some crisco on each other and take pics.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Is it a scheme or strength issue? I thought we were in agreement its scheme (blocking) at this point. Wouldn’t it be tough to evaluate the strength part if the scheme is disadvantageous?
I agree. It is totally scheme. No amount of conditioning will fix the scheme but it would be fun to occasionally see the center not being driven into the backfield in 3 tens of a second or even a defensive player getting knocked down every now and then.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
LSU couldn't score on anyone. And what little offense they had was mostly Jeff Drisktard.

As for our physicality, the run game didn't work so be brought in two extra tackles at TE. That was our physicality. All 14 points worth of physicality.

And LSU didn't know enough about Muschump yet so they thought he was trying to bait them into playing a goalline defense and throw over their heads. Little did they know that Muschump would rather lose than pass, and Drisktard couldn't complete a pass even if Chump wanted to try.

8 passes for 61 yards. :lmao2:

The ultimate Chump offense.

Yup we sure physicalled them.

SeabeeGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 2, 2018
I thought we had talked through some of this and our biggest issue was inconsistency play to play by the individual lineman - i.e. one guy out of five was out of position or beaten leading to issues in the backfield.

And Dillman... I thought it was the high rate of ligament injuries? I do not have the data but I know that was the narrative - especially in 2013. Seemed like we couldn’t go 3 days without a new ACL tear.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I thought we had talked through some of this and our biggest issue was inconsistency play to play by the individual lineman - i.e. one guy out of five was out of position or beaten leading to issues in the backfield..
The scheme sucks and it has never really worked except with Harvin.

Creyer drastically changed his, going with much more inside outside zone stuff and RPO's that aren't just a third option in the old Utah read option.

Mullinz is so convinced he is a genius, I really doubt he adapts.

And Dillman... I thought it was the high rate of ligament injuries? I do not have the data but I know that was the narrative - especially in 2013. Seemed like we couldn’t go 3 days without a new ACL tear.
Honestly I think it was moron "Steel Sharpens Steel" Chimp and his 100% practices. Hell, we'd have 1s vs 1s and lose starters during Friday practices, when most teams are just doing walkthrus. Insanity.

There no doubt was some aspects of the kids just being overworked. As you no doubt know really tired people often lose their form and tired weaker than normal joints cause ligament injuries.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.