Scary stuff

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
So last night my daughter in law was in a bad car accident and my wife spent the night at the hospital with her.

When she got home this morning every smoke detector in the house was going off and I was sound asleep. First off what set off the smoke detectors and second off how the hell did I sleep through all that racket?

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Did you have a loss of power? They are supposed to be wired in series so one fails they all report. Check for a loose wire, dust around the sensor, replace the batteries, or maybe ants. They may be CO2 combos, maybe your farts?

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
I'm guessing when the heat kicked on it set off the smoke detector. There is an ac vent in front of one of the detectors and it triggered the detector once before. I still can't believe I slept through that though.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I'm guessing when the heat kicked on it set off the smoke detector. There is an ac vent in front of one of the detectors and it triggered the detector once before. I still can't believe I slept through that though.

First off, hows your DIL?
Makes sense about the heat turning on. Hope that was it. They do make a sensor that you can record your voice to wake up kids to tell them to get out of the house. I’ve heard that kids can sleep through fire alarms too.

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
Daughter in law is doing fine. The airbag broke her sternum so they are keeping her a couple of days. Other than that she is just bruised up a bit. She misses her kids because the accident was in Apopka and she lives in Winter Springs and with the COVID thing going around I don't think they would let the kids visit anyway.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Daughter in law is doing fine. The airbag broke her sternum so they are keeping her a couple of days. Other than that she is just bruised up a bit. She misses her kids because the accident was in Apopka and she lives in Winter Springs and with the COVID thing going around I don't think they would let the kids visit anyway.
Glad to hear she's okay!

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

What kind of furnace do you have?

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
What kind of furnace do you have?
It's electric but when it comes on for the first time in a while you can catch a slight burnt odor. Probably the coils heating up.

Just saw the pictures of the accident. The other guy ran a red light and she T-boned him. Turns out the guy was intoxicated and also had a warrant out for his arrest....also was Hispanic and didn't speak English. It will be interesting to find out if he was an illegal.

crosscreekcooter

Founding Member
Cunning Linguist; RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm glad she wasn't more seriously hurt. The poor immigrant sounds like he's a good candidate for free hospitalization and other social services. He probably just needs a chance to show his value to society.

Nalt

Jul 23, 2020
Whew! I'm glad that she will be ok. That is scary enough for a few decades without the smoke detectors going off.

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
It's electric but when it comes on for the first time in a while you can catch a slight burnt odor. Probably the coils heating up.

Just saw the pictures of the accident. The other guy ran a red light and she T-boned him. Turns out the guy was intoxicated and also had a warrant out for his arrest....also was Hispanic and didn't speak English. It will be interesting to find out if he was an illegal.
Update on the accident, the guy is not an illegal and speaks perfectly good English. The ass hole was just playing the No comprende game with the police.

Under normal circumstances I was never one who believed it sensless law suits but I think my DIL is going after this prick and I say good for her.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Sounds like it was dust on your sensor. Get some canned air and plow them all out to prevent future issues.

Glad you DIL is ok. Sue the Beaner for all he has and then some.

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
Good news the DIL went home today but with orders to stay in bed. One can only imagine if those bones in the broken sternum were to shift. Got a feeling Mrs51 and I will be spending a lot of time over at our sons house the next few days. I know my daughter in law, we may have to hog tie her to keep her down.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Good news the DIL went home today but with orders to stay in bed. One can only imagine if those bones in the broken sternum were to shift. Got a feeling Mrs51 and I will be spending a lot of time over at our sons house the next few days. I know my daughter in law, we may have to hog tie her to keep her down.

That great that she's going home. Hope she has a speedy recovery and a good Thanksgiving. She has a lot to be thankful for.

Jack o' Diamonds

My mind is made up, don't confuse me with facts...
Lifetime Member
Aug 29, 2015
Smoke alarms have a trip wire between all units in system. If one is activated, the sounders in all will go off.
Before resetting check each one for a trip indication. Unless there is actual smoke only one should be tripped.
Could be dust, insects, steam from a shower or heat coming on first time, or dinner being burned. No smoke detector should be installed any nearer than three feet to an air vent..

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Hopefully he has money or insurance.

Last accident my Wife was in, the dude at fault had no insurance. We carry uninsured motorist protection but we’re out the deductible and the cost of the rental.

Alex.

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
Smoke alarms have a trip wire between all units in system. If one is activated, the sounders in all will go off.
Before resetting check each one for a trip indication. Unless there is actual smoke only one should be tripped.
Could be dust, insects, steam from a shower or heat coming on first time, or dinner being burned. No smoke detector should be installed any nearer than three feet to an air vent..
I'm impressed that you would know about the 3 ft min distance. I had to educate a lot of contractors & engineers on that because as of the time I retired it wasn't actually addressed in the building code. The only way to find it was that the building code said all smoke alarms would also confirm to the National Fire Protection Association code which still didn't directly address it but said smoke alarms would be installed per manufacturers specifications which addressed the minimum distance from vents.

That said, if I remember right and I could be wrong but most manufacturers specs only mention distance from return air vents, not supply vents. Right or wrong I am still impressed.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Did you know you are supposed to replace the alarms every 10 years?

Gator515151

2018 Pick 'Em Champ
Aug 16, 2018
Hopefully he has money or insurance.

Last accident my Wife was in, the dude at fault had no insurance. We carry uninsured motorist protection but we’re out the deductible and the cost of the rental.

Alex.
I am not real sure how this will play out Alex, they are still talking with their insurance co and a lawyer. The guy had a suspended license however he was driving his ex-wife's car and she had insurance. Could be a little touch and go. Anyway the rental car is not an issue right now since she won't be driving for a while.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb