Gator Basketball Scottie Lewis Declares

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Walkers hs tape was nasty and I'd also argue that Lewis played at prep school and played some decent competition and we or atleast I figured he'd be somewhat raw offensively. Because you get a better look at how that will translate. And to be clear I'm glad reeves signed with us and I do think he's a talented kid. I just think watching his hs highlight tape and saying he's going to be our leading scorer is a huge stretch.

Yeah.....I’m not ready to say he’ll be our leading scorer but I think he contributes right away.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Payne to Illinois. Could be good situation for him. They’re coming off a good season but could lose 6 of their top 8 players in terms of scoring and minutes played so they may need immediate help. One challenge for him has to do with their current center Kofi Cockburn......rumor has it the 6’11 290 pounder may declare for the draft. If he returns Payne either backs him up or looks to move to the 4. Not sure how that will sit with him as he obviously wants to start. Their might be some intel that Kofi will leave which opens up a spot for Payne as they rebuild their lineup. We have a South Florida player that spent 4 years there and calls it the best time of his life. Could set up nice for Payne.

fasonfan

Jesus Saves
Nov 1, 2017
Payne to Illinois. Could be good situation for him. They’re coming off a good season but could lose 6 of their top 8 players in terms of scoring and minutes played so they may need immediate help. One challenge for him has to do with their current center Kofi Cockburn......rumor has it the 6’11 290 pounder may declare for the draft. If he returns Payne either backs him up or looks to move to the 4. Not sure how that will sit with him as he obviously wants to start. Their might be some intel that Kofi will leave which opens up a spot for Payne as they rebuild their lineup. We have a South Florida player that spent 4 years there and calls it the best time of his life. Could set up nice for Payne.
everyone in the Big 10 is terrified because this guy throws a mean elbow.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
So now Illinois' coach can be Paynefully confused. What if that coach starts pouting - OMG!

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Scottie went to Ranney prep in NJ, but Bryan Antoine was the better player on that team. Him and Scottie together were a good combo as he was the PG and could feed super athletic Scottie. Antoine is a 6’5” G that just played his sophomore year at Nova, only averaging 12 mins, 2.3 pts, .7 assists, shooting 41% from the field. Not exactly lighting it up for a big time recruit who’s two years in now. Maybe Ranney wasn’t playing tough competition on the regular.
Either way, I wish Scottie well.
Antoine basically missed the two years. Only played 26 games total. 10 this year and 16 last year

LeeForThree

Let It Fly
Lifetime Member
Aug 12, 2014
Walkers hs tape was nasty and I'd also argue that Lewis played at prep school and played some decent competition and we or atleast I figured he'd be somewhat raw offensively. Because you get a better look at how that will translate. And to be clear I'm glad reeves signed with us and I do think he's a talented kid. I just think watching his hs highlight tape and saying he's going to be our leading scorer is a huge stretch.
Need to look at how he scores and plays, what his shot looks like, how he scores when contested etc. Not just the size he is playing. The same thing I saw in Mann I see in him. Kowacie is more aggressive though, which could clash with White lol. The one on one skills are top notch and when you can hit turnarounds on a triple team, you can score

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Have any of the transfers that MW has lost really do anything of note anywhere else?? Nembhard went to Gonzaga and is in the Final 4 but he has accepted his role as a role player and the 5th or 6th option on the team. His numbers have dropped drastically and his NBA hope is all but gone now.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Scottie Lewis averaged 8.5 a game as a freshman. I'll do an avatar bet that says reeves doesn't average more as freshman.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Need to look at how he scores and plays, what his shot looks like, how he scores when contested etc. Not just the size he is playing. The same thing I saw in Mann I see in him. Kowacie is more aggressive though, which could clash with White lol. The one on one skills are top notch and when you can hit turnarounds on a triple team, you can score
A contested shot against a 5-10 highschool guard does not translate against a 6-6 d1 wing.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017

He will be the starting SF and probably leading scorer for us if all goes well. ... He is known for scoring off the dribble in as many ways as you can think of

He got most of his buckets shooting over the top of kids and fast breaks. ... Not all of that is gonna translate when he has another 6'6" wing who's just as athletic guarding him

The same thing I saw in Mann I see in him.

Pretty disparate views. I think I’m with T. I see superior skill and size at that level, but not the hyper athleticism/explosiveness that immediately translates. But, I also understand that explosiveness was what made Walker and Lewis stand out, so I’ll take the skills.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Have any of the transfers that MW has lost really do anything of note anywhere else?? Nembhard went to Gonzaga and is in the Final 4 but he has accepted his role as a role player and the 5th or 6th option on the team. His numbers have dropped drastically and his NBA hope is all but gone now.

Nobody else has done much. While Nembhard hasn’t put up big numbers he is contributing on a top ranked team. He may not be an NBA player but at the very least he will have a long career overseas. He could eventually get to the league or at least get a decent opportunity because he has pretty good court vision and IQ. Decent with both hands on the dribble and pass. His issue is lack of elite speed and not a consistent shooter.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Pretty disparate views. I think I’m with T. I see superior skill and size at that level, but not the hyper athleticism/explosiveness that immediately translates. But, I also understand that explosiveness was what made Walker and Lewis stand out, so I’ll take the skills.

Scoring in that range would be acceptable and productive. I’m more comfortable stating that he will be a more complete player. He just seems to have some skill development that Walker and Lewis didn’t. Now there were times Lewis played some very good defense and others when he didn’t. I really have no idea what Reeves commitment to defense is. He certainly has all the intangibles to be an elite defender but I have to see it first.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Whatever high school deficits Reeves arrives with, he will have to depend on Mike White's program to get him better?? He'll transfer out.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Nembhard went to Gonzaga and is in the Final 4 but he has accepted his role as a role player and the 5th or 6th option on the team. His numbers have dropped drastically

upload_2021-4-3_22-42-32.jpeg

He’s getting only 2-3 less minutes per game, a 10% better shooting percentage, similar rebounds and 2 less points per game than at Florida.

All while playing with great coaching and talent around him IN THE FINAL FOUR. Over years of bad takes, this is a top five highlight of dumb statements.

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
yeah he is GREAT as a role player but not as THE MAN like at UF. Coaching 1000 times better under Mark Few even though its VERY surprising that Few doesn't have at least 2 NCs with all his great coaching and all the talent they have had there in Gonzaga the last 22 years. Great wins, but underwhelming in the NCAAT yearly until this year.

DallasTXGator

Supporting Member
Dec 21, 2020
Nembhard - 8 assists and 11 points in an all-time classic Final Four game. Yeah, we didn't want him anyways. Just a role player I guess....

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Will Nembhard be back next year to spearhead another NC run? Then he might be more crucially relied upon. He stays on auto-pilot slow-glide while his teammates zoom around like fighter jets. Nembhard was needed tonight. Only came out when he got dinged up for a while.

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER Lower Expectations.
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Just watched the game. Nembie made a damn fine decision to transfer. Prolly gonna win a nattie and then go get paid to play somewhere overseas.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb