Gator Basketball Scottie Lewis Declares

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
It's getting so you should not have a guard less than 6'3", who can drive quickly and dish off precisely to an inside big.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Fellas - we may have some good news soon on the coaching front....

giphy.gif

no1g8r

Bringing Reason to the dumb masses
Lifetime Member
Oct 23, 2017
We'll never be competitive without new BB facilities.

Before that, we need to move the Rowdies to the side the camera shows. No self-respecting player wants to be on TV in front of the AARP "down in front" crowd.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Locke needs to find a place where on offense he can just stand in one spot behind the 3 point line. When he is passed the ball, if open, he should shoot. If covered he should pass the ball back immediately from whence it came.

Fully agree, he needs that type of role. I think that was supposed to be his role this season, but then KJ collapsed and didn't come back, and isn't coming back. So, yeah, a transfer makes so much sense for him.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
Locke needs to find a place where on offense he can just stand in one spot behind the 3 point line. When he is passed the ball, if open, he should shoot. If covered he should pass the ball back immediately from whence it came. Do NOT dribble as to embarrass yourself. Do NOT feed the post as to embarrass yourself. Do NOT attempt to play defense as to embarrass yourself. Just remain in that spot until your team regains possession of the ball. You have one basketball ability which is as a spot, up, stand still shooter. All other things basketball are not for you. But good luck in finding a place.

Nailed it. Whenever he puts the ball on the floor he circles to the paint and does 1 of 2 things: (1) stops and picks up his dribble with nobody to pass to or (2) shoots a floater which he misses nearly every time.

Spot up shooting is his thing. Creating shots is not.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015

Ive said it for awhile. Besides playing at a 1950’s pace I think one of MW’s major issues is player assessment. Most of the transfers over the years never should have been here to begin with. This was not their level. No transfer has left and lit it up elsewhere....even at lower levels. Other than Nembhard these transfers are typically never heard of again.
MW typically does better with incoming transfers. I think it’s because they have had an additional opportunity to evaluate these guys and have a better idea if they can play at this level. They simply do a poor job evaluating high school talent and are overly swayed by AAU run and gun stats.

lagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 9, 2014
Hard to see White pushing anyone out unless he has some guys lined up. I think he is a dead man walking.
I wouldn't say that. Has Strick given any indication he is considering a change?

We are clearly going to need some guard help for sure. It was mentioned in the article JBoss linked that no fewer than 800 players had put their name in the transfer portal and that number will obviously keep growing since the tournaments aren't even over yet That's an astounding number. In fact, worth a fact check because what are there 300 division one teams? So that's almost 3 players per team? That doesn't seem to add up. But whatever the number is, you are looking at 100's of players looking for a landing spot so coaches and staff really have their work cut out for them trying to sort through it all and find the right fit.

And with the current open borders transfer rules, there's really nothing other than fair-play stopping you from recruiting players who haven't even put their name in the portal by getting them a message in a roundabout way that program A is very interested if you are considering a transfer. That could very well be what happened with Locke's surprise announcement. It's possible that putting his name in the portal is a mere formality so he can transfer to the school he already knows he's going to that has promised him a larger role, maybe give him a try at point to help prepare him for a career in Europe.

One thing Whitey has done well in the past is bring in talented transfers so it will be interesting to see if he can do it again.

Marine1

Semper Fidelis
Dec 20, 2015
I wouldn't say that. Has Strick given any indication he is considering a change?

We are clearly going to need some guard help for sure. It was mentioned in the article JBoss linked that no fewer than 800 players had put their name in the transfer portal and that number will obviously keep growing since the tournaments aren't even over yet That's an astounding number. In fact, worth a fact check because what are there 300 division one teams? So that's almost 3 players per team? That doesn't seem to add up. But whatever the number is, you are looking at 100's of players looking for a landing spot so coaches and staff really have their work cut out for them trying to sort through it all and find the right fit.

And with the current open borders transfer rules, there's really nothing other than fair-play stopping you from recruiting players who haven't even put their name in the portal by getting them a message in a roundabout way that program A is very interested if you are considering a transfer. That could very well be what happened with Locke's surprise announcement. It's possible that putting his name in the portal is a mere formality so he can transfer to the school he already knows he's going to that has promised him a larger role, maybe give him a try at point to help prepare him for a career in Europe.

One thing Whitey has done well in the past is bring in talented transfers so it will be interesting to see if he can do it again.

I agree completely. I only say he is a dead man walking in that he will likely be gone after next season if it ends in another disappointment. I’ve stated all year long I didn’t see any chance of him being fire this off-season.

I did state that just maybe with the additional heat he is getting that maybe there is a small chance he leaves on his own.

But with the hundreds in the portal I think it is entirely possible to end up with a more talented roster next season. MW does better with recruiting college players than with high school kids. No eye for assessing HS talent.

ChiefGator

A Chief and a Gator, Master of the Ignore list!!!!
Lifetime Member
Nov 9, 2015
I expected some turnover, but I seem to remember a great three point shooter who got much better at defense and eventually even played point guard for us. I have in the past thought that players were most of the issue as our previous coach had similar playing issues, now I really blame the coach. Especially for the continual Covid issues which if I was coach would not have happened. It is simple to avoid covid, it takes a system and discipline so it is not easy. Not sure who would be better that is willing to come.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Fellas - we may have some good news soon on the coaching front....

Our coaching is a front.
Still, good news on coaching means removal of an unsuitable coach with insertion of an excellent new coach? Losing so many players complicates the new coach's job.? How can good news come from such a purgatorial situation?

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.