Gator Basketball Scottie Lewis - ESPN projects #4 in the draft in 2020

PhD Gator

UF Ph.D. 2011
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
ESPN just released their mock draft for the 2020 NBA Draft. They project Scottie to go #4 overall after his freshman year. They had a really nice write-up about him and why they ranked him so much higher than his recruiting ranking would indicate.

Scottie Lewis (No. 4) is perhaps the starkest contrast in comparing high school recruiting rankings (where he's generally in the mid-teens) to our own forecast. Lewis wowed us with his versatility, athleticism and intangibles in October at USA Basketball, and did much of the same at Hoophall, putting on a dominating display in a head-to-head matchup with McDaniels.

Despite giving up 6 inches in height, Lewis suffocated McDaniels with his 6-11 wingspan and insatiable energy level, getting right underneath his opponent and moving his feet to contest every attempt he took. While his jumper has always been fairly streaky, Lewis made a number of outside shots in this matchup with both his feet set and off the dribble, showing the type of shooting mechanics you want to see in terms of projecting future improvement. He is excellent attacking in the open floor, an unselfish passer and he did a better job of keeping his frenetic energy in check in terms of minimizing mistakes. Lewis, who is committed to Florida, still has plenty of room to improve as a half-court scorer, but it's easy to bet on guys long term who are this competitive with great basketball instincts.
2020 NBA mock draft: New No. 1 pick, latest on top prospects

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah hopefully he has a huge year for us. I saw another mock draft that had Lewis going 27th so I guess it all depends on how he does for us. Our roster is Loaded next season so that is exciting no doubt. Go Gators!!

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
We seem to have the worst luck with Bigs since the Back to Backs!

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
We seem to have the worst luck with Bigs since the Back to Backs!

Boss, we need a 7' Chechnian inside that still believes in genocide. Really though, what will it take for coach White to actually believe in an inside game - it seems so over his head.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Boss, we need a 7' Chechnian inside that still believes in genocide. Really though, what will it take for coach White to actually believe in an inside game - it seems so over his head.

I love Coach White, and hope he stays here 10 years, but this is a valid point and one I'm not sure he's too worried about resolving. It appears we will continue to live and die by the three.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I love Coach White, and hope he stays here 10 years, but this is a valid point and one I'm not sure he's too worried about resolving. It appears we will continue to live and die by the three.

Afraid so frayed, AugVal. What a wondrous team component (insurance policy) to have a 6'10" wildabeast beneath the basket, having a ball.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Hard to say. Hopefully he plays great but some of these guys get drafted high just on potential even when their freshman years weren't that great.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Payne will be the main barometer i.e. can White learn how to coach playing inside. If Payne is underutilized we can kiss goodbye all future tall recruits. If White designs us around Payne's inside abilities, than Payne can have fun and future "bigs" will notice and come.

Love to see Noah, Horford. Richard, Humphrey, and Brewer help with recruiting promos. If he would lay off drugs, what a "big-man" inside-game coach Joakim Noah could become.?? Hell, Chris Richard probably would out-coach what we've got now. Then there's Maureese Speights in China.?? Brewer = love to get Gator champs with unflappable enthusiasm to infect our guys. Invite Canyon Berry to hold underhand free-throw seminars.

That's the ticket -- increase our net worth.

Last edited:

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Payne will be the main barometer i.e. can White learn how to coach playing inside. If Payne is underutilized we can kiss goodbye all future tall recruits. If White designs us around Payne's inside abilities, than Payne can have fun and future "bigs" will notice and come.

Love to see Noah, Horford. Richard, Humphrey, and Brewer help with recruiting promos. If he would lay off drugs, what a "big-man" inside-game coach Joakim Noah could become.?? Hell, Chris Richard probably would out-coach what we've got now. Then there's Maureese Speights in China.?? Brewer = love to get Gator champs with unflappable enthusiasm to infect our guys. Invite Canyon Berry to hold underhand free-throw seminars.

That's the ticket -- increase our net worth.
Clif Richards?

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Just a thought and it's probably settled: Why can't UF devise a degreed program that teaches coching knowledge. Then athletes could take career strides matching what they love doing. Seems stupid to have no university path into coaching.?? Sure, you still have to learn on-the-job but maybe you'd advance faster.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator