Screw the NBA, but Giannis is an outstanding young man

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
It’s almost 6 minutes long, and he’s speaking Greek so you need to read the subtitles, but this is an outstanding young man. Talks about God, his family, his country, and on being an inspiration and role model.

I wish more athletes were like him.

Alex.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
It’s almost 6 minutes long, and he’s speaking Greek so you need to read the subtitles, but this is an outstanding young man. Talks about God, his family, his country, and on being an inspiration and role model.

Alex.

It helps that he wasn't born or raised here, which is a really sad reality. But yeah, he's a solid, well spoken individual.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

Alex.

great video and message.

I'd probably be a bigger fan of his if he had the courtesy of shortening his last name....
can't even pronounce it.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
great video and message.

I'd probably be a bigger fan of his if he had the courtesy of shortening his last name....
can't even pronounce it.

Nobody can. He's a one-name star, like Pele or Cher. "Giannis".

Or you could just call him the Greek Freak.

Alex.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
After he got his first big NBA check, he took a cab to Western Union to send the money back home to his family. He didn't have enough left for cab fare back to the arena. Also, it was gameday. He started running from the Western Union to the arena. A friendly fan recognized him and gave him a ride.

Fan who drove Giannis to the arena tells her story

On Saturday, Nov 23, it was cold in Milwaukee (below 20 degrees in the afternoon). I was shopping in the Brady Street area (the east side of Milwaukee, a few minutes away from the BMO Harris Bradley Center) with my boyfriend of 35 years. We saw a tall black guy running by and he looked familiar. I drove by him again four blocks away and realized it was Giannis. I stopped the car, rolled down the window and asked if he wanted a ride.

"Are you going to the Bradley Center?" he asked and I said yes. He was wearing only a windbreaker.

When he got in the car, I said "you need a winter jacket." He said his credit card didn't work & he'd sent all the money to his family in Greece. He thanked us over and over again for the ride. He was running from where he lives ("on Lake Drive," he said). I got an autograph (in Greek!), but didn't think to get a photo (I'm full of regret). Imagine a photo of all 6'10" of him in the backseat of my Honda Fit (incredibly small back seats)!

We dropped him off at the BMOHBC and he said "Thanks, you really saved me!" I was so excited to have him in my car, that I didn't even think to get a photo. I hope he now has a winter jacket and proper transportation.

Alex.

Last edited:

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
He's a one-name star, like Pele or Cher

or Tiffany - from the "I Think We're Alone Now" cover song in the mall.
but she really won my heart in 'Mega Python vs. Gatoroid' and of course 'Mega Piranha'

but I digress -
glad to see Giannis Ante;9w0elkj!kapoopooboogalooshrimp not being negatively influenced by LeFlop and the gang.
He must live in Greece during the offseason.

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
or Tiffany - from the "I Think We're Alone Now" cover song in the mall.
but she really won my heart in 'Mega Python vs. Gatoroid' and of course 'Mega Piranha'

but I digress -
glad to see Giannis Ante;9w0elkj!kapoopooboogalooshrimp not being negatively influenced by LeFlop and the gang.
He must live in Greece during the offseason.

He didn't demand a trade to a bigger market to build his brand or to another team with established superstars so he could guarantee himself a ring. He stayed with the bad-weather small-market team that drafted him, signed an extension when his coach's job was on the line due to underperforming in the playoffs, and just took a team with only one lottery pick on it (Brook Lopez) to a championship.

This is a kid that must have faced REAL racism in his life. His family illegally immigrated to Greece. He grew up hawking crap on the sidewalks of Athens to make a buck (drachma?) so the family could eat. LeBron and Kaeperrnick never faced anything like that kind of adversity. And yet, Giannis clearly loves Greece while those dudes clearly hate America.

I cannot stand the NBA, but this is a great kid. I just hope he remains true and doesn't get corrupted by the ungrateful entitled brats that surround him in the NBA.

Alex.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Didn’t start playing ball until he was 12. Not very smooth or fluid but he gives great effort and is obviously very effective. I’m a fan.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.