(SDS article) UGA set to make title run in 2017?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Whew!! I just spit my coffee all over the place laughing!!

I do imagine they'll be favored to win the East (nothing unusual for UGA or UT to be picked)...but a "title run"!?!? Hilarious!

http://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/ge...hubb-sony-michel-decision-a-good-one-for-uga/

With Chubb and Michel back, Georgia’s expectations will soar in 2017

8e00f0108f200f3ae21b44dcd275759e
WILLIAM MCFADDEN | 3 HOURS AGO

http://www.facebook.com/sharer/shar...hubb-sony-michel-decision-a-good-one-for-uga/

https://twitter.com/intent/tweet?ur...rgia’s+expectations+will+soar+in+2017&via=SDS

Nobody would have been surprised or angered if juniors Nick Chubb and Sony Michel decided to enter the NFL Draft and start their professional careers.

After all, it only takes one injury to potentially ruin a running back’s career. Chubb has already suffered one such injury, making his decision much less black and white, and Michel has shown enough to find a spot in the NFL.

RELATED: 5 numbers Nick Chubb will chase in 2017

Some might have quietly admitted that the smart decision would have been to cash in while the opportunity presented itself instead of gambling on a higher draft spot. Despite the risk, Chubb and Michel announced Thursday evening that they, along with linebackers Lorenzo Carter and Davin Bellamy, will return for a final season between the hedges.

Chubb did not mention his future when discussing his decision, instead, he said he wouldn’t feel right walking away at this time in the face of adversity. His answer was in line with his humble, determined character, something that endeared him to the Bulldog faithful.

“It all came back to the kind of person I am,” he told reporters. “To not just leave because things aren’t going your way, but to fight through your problems and the adversity, and that’s what I feel I did.”

There will be plenty of time to debate whether Chubb and Michel made the right decision, but it is one that immediately makes Georgia significantly better next season, a potential top 10 team and likely preseason favorite to win the SEC East — thanks to the most dangerous backfield trio in the division.

Follow
Pete Fiutak @PeteFiutak

Put the pressure on now. Georgia - with Nick Chubb, Sony Michel, Lorenzo Carter, and Davin Bellamy back - preseason top 5? There's no excuse

5:29 PM - 15 Dec 2016

Their return means the Bulldogs should have nearly all of their weapons back from this season for Year 2 of the Jacob Eason era. That type of continuity isn’t common in this era of college football, but it will be important for a Kirby Smart and his young team.

USATSI_8302213-610x395.jpg

Jeremy Brevard-USA TODAY Sports

Not only will Georgia get a pair of running backs who are currently third and 10th on the school’s all-time rushing list, Chubb and Michel, respectively, but it will return two important leaders in the locker room.

At his best, Chubb is one of the nation’s top backs and a legitimate Heisman candidate. He has earned the respect of his teammates and gives the type of effort that would impress any coach. That type of example could have a lasting impact on players like Eason, Brian Herrien, Isaac Nauta and the slew of recruits heading to Athens next year.

“There’s a lot of things we need to fix, and I’m willing to come back and just go at it, and get this team right,” Chubb said on Thursday. “Because the way I would have personally went out was not the way I felt would be best for me, and I felt we should change that.”

whI87OygaFsHpsKs.jpg

Follow
UGA Football Live @UGAfootballLive

Nick Chubb announces he is returning to #UGA next season!

Via @ReuseRecruiting

5:05 PM - 15 Dec 2016

Although he looked like a shell of his former self at times this season, Chubb, and to a lesser extent Michel, has the ability to change that. Throughout the year, it was clear that the knee injury had left Chubb a step slower. He appeared to regain some of that burst near the end of the season, though, and should be 100 percent from the beginning in 2017.

None of that will matter if Georgia can’t fix its offensive line issues, though. The Bulldogs’ struggles in the run game can be attributed in large part to the line. Smart and his staff are intent on adding size up front, but with three seniors departing, there will likely be more issues next season as well.

Instead of putting players like Herrien, Elijah Holyfield and current commit D’andre Swift behind that line, however, Georgia will now have two experienced seniors with the ability to make something out of nothing.

It’s a major boost for the offense, which should be ready to take the next step in Year 2 under Jim Chaney. Now the Bulldogs will be able to do so with two of their top weapons returning.

Their senior season can be looked at as a “contract year” of sorts. When a player has a singular goal to focus on and a reason to push himself, he often performs near his fullest potential. Already two of the hardest workers on the team, Chubb and Michel now have the motivation to take it to the next level.

It’s now or never for the running back duo.

Nobody would have faulted Chubb or Michel for calling it a career and focusing on their future. It just isn’t in their nature to walk away from something they aren’t satisfied with.

They are coming back to Georgia to make a change, and everyone is much better off because of it.

Gator87

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Well, they were so close this year with all those guys............oh, wait 7-5.
6a00d8341bf80c53ef015390e305b6970b-320wi.jpg

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Usually they're pimping Tennessee this time of year, I guess they moved on to the next perennial disappointment.

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
Georgia has four guys return for their senior year that they thought they would lose and we'll probably lose 4 or 5 early to the draft. I'll give those guys credit for being unselfish and caring so much for they're university. I bet they will play hard in their bowl game unlike our guys. Weather Smart turns out to be a great coach or not remains to be seen, but at least he has his players buy in to what he's doing. Hopefully we can knock them off again next year, but it will be harder now. If they're o- line improves vastly next year, I think they will take the division. That's just how I see it.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Don't think next year is their year. hell the year jeremy pruitt was there was supposed to be their title year if I remember the media and the UGA fans correctly. That being said Kirby's first two classes have been lights out. If he can actually coach and isn't like all the other Saban castoffs 2018 is when I would think they made a jump. I know its Georgia, but you can't look at the gap between the talent they are landing compared to ours and not get a little worried. At this point we we are going to be in such a hole talent wise after Mac's 3rd year that if a new coach is hired they won't have the luxery of getting just a descent class year 1, but will have to absolutely knock it out of the park for a top 5.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
On paper they could make a huge turn around tecord wise but their O line would have to improve a bunch in run blocking.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Normally, I would laugh at this article because I knew that no matter how much talent UGA had, we were better coached.

That is what I would normally say. Now I say, well I know we won't stop them so anything is possible

Floridagator

Founding Member
Jun 20, 2014
Founding Member
Winning the East is one thing but to get the title they have to go through bama...twice lol

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Their receivers are terrible and their line couldn't block toddlers.

**** jawja with a rusty old butter knife

NCOGator

Sep 5, 2014
Tennessee is going to lose their back to back to back to back pre-season National Championship. They are not going to be happy.

deuce

Founding Member
"Cry 'Havoc!', and let slip the dogs of war."
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Actually, on paper Georgia has all the parts, it just depends on if the Coach can fit the pieces together. Isn't the old saying, Coaches and teams make the most improvement between year one and two?

Mark it down.... I'm predicting we lose to UGA, Vandy, USCe, UT, Ky and MO in 2017. Mac is fired by week 7 and Stricklin hires Mullen by seasons end.

Based on everything I've read here, that is the scenario I'm looking for. We are screwed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    TheFoodGator