SDS: Is Dan Mullen the most overrated coach in America?

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Don't kill the messenger - he's calling Mullen out stronger than any other "dance-around" article I've read. Basically saying your "Gator Standard" speech was a lie and it's time to fire your buddy, start your best players and get off your lazy ass and recruit some players.
I get it but he’s playing to the fire for clicks. He also knows he’s not on the same level as other reporters that have to watch their step. He’s currently on Twitter naming off people that Mullen can hire as DC to turn things around. Manny Diaz and Geoff Collins lead the list.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Mullen is the root cause here. He's totally fuked his job at a $6.7M salary. Does anybody still left on the wagon thinks he really gives a sh@t? His crashing is so obvious that I agree with others here that he's intentionally tanking the job at the expense of a loyal Gator Nation. He's the clown that really needs to be sh!tcanned. Which will happen, but that's Stricklin's job.

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
Now the national media is on board. This from Stewart Mandel:

1. In her last question to a triumphant Ed Orgeron after LSU’s 49-42 upset of No. 20 Florida on Saturday, ESPN’s Molly McGrath asked whether he’d “made a statement” in the face of rumors about his job security. (He mostly deflected it.) Suddenly it dawned on me: Why is the guy who recently won a national championship assumed to be a dead man walking, but the coach he just beat for a second straight year — who has nearly the same exact .740 win percentage but with no trophies to show for it — is in no danger whatsoever?

2. If LSU’s lopsided loss at Kentucky last week was Orgeron’s Waterloo, what was Saturday’s debacle for Florida’s Dan Mullen? After defensive coordinator Todd Grantham’s unit allowed previously ineffective Tigers running back Tyrion-Davis Price to rush 36 times for a school-record 287 yards and three touchdowns (seemingly all on the same counter play), the Gators are now just 2-3 in the SEC, with No. 1 Georgia coming up next (the Gators are off next week). They’ve quietly lost six of their last eight games against Power 5 opponents, dating to last season’s infamous shoe toss against LSU. The only positive from Saturday was freshman quarterback Anthony Richardson coming in and igniting Florida’s offense … but that only raised questions as to why Mullen didn’t play him sooner.

3. It may be that LSU’s win was too little, too latefor Orgeron, and it may be that Florida’s run to last year’s SEC title game gives Mullen some leeway for at least the rest of this season. But it doesn’t feel to me like the two programs are in drastically different places.

cartman302

Lifetime Member
Dec 16, 2017
I reiterate- Had we hired him in 2011, he'd be hard-pressed to MSU's coach today. @FireFoley stated it best- Dullen would be lucky to be HC of Ball State based on his record.

I've never seen a coach (in any sport) lose a fan base like he did after last year's LSU loss. To is credit, he is really effing good at being arrogant and mediocre.

He is, however, on point when it comes to securing buyout money. Let's see how bad the UGLy blowout is.

ATXGator

Founding Member
Austin Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
I really think it is over for Mullen. It is just a matter of time now.

That loss to LSU was so bad on so many levels.

I don't think Mullen has ever been on the hot seat before and felt this type of pressure and I'm honestly not sure he can handle it.

Best case scenario is that he looks inside and changes, but I have zero faith that he does that. He has too much ego to admit he was wrong and make the necessary changes to be a good head coach.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Lets just look at one aspect of this and from the QB Guru slant.

You all need to remember this is not the first time he's played the wrong QB. FELIPE FRANKS.

Many of us on this board thought for a while that Trask was the better QB. If even if you didn't think so would have probably said, "what the hell, try the next guy over Franks." If it had not been for an injury at Kentucky, Trask may have never started. Think about how that might have turned out the last couple of years.

UFHealthGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 12, 2017
Up until this weekend I thought Mullen is safe until the mid of 2022 season when Kirby beats him again. But damn the condemnation has been fierce, makes me think his seat is a lot hotter than I had suspected.

LSU really was a must win.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015
Mullen and Gator Nation were on top of the world after beating UGA last year, and from there he has dug a hole halfway to China. It's all on Mullen with his stupid decisions (and non-decisions) on making common-sense calls that any high school kid could make, like getting rid of the imposter who is his DC, not seeing obvious talent superiority at QB, not caring about team preparation for games and most importantly not giving a rat's ass about recruiting . $6.7M a year, he's clearly in it for the money and vacations. Mullen just doesn't have the internal fiber for this job; he's more interested in himself than the University and fan base he's working for. Fire Grantham NOW, fire Mullen when Stricklin grows a set. Gator Nation shouldn't have to put up with this sh@t.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Mullen and Gator Nation were on top of the world after beating UGA last year, and from there he has dug a hole halfway to China. It's all on Mullen with his stupid decisions (and non-decisions) on making common-sense calls that any high school kid could make, like getting rid of the imposter who is his DC, not seeing obvious talent superiority at QB, not caring about team preparation for games and most importantly not giving a rat's ass about recruiting . $6.7M a year, he's clearly in it for the money and vacations. Mullen just doesn't have the internal fiber for this job; he's more interested in himself than the University and fan base he's working for. Fire Grantham NOW, fire Mullen when Stricklin grows a set. Gator Nation shouldn't have to put up with this sh@t.

This is twice now you posted $6.7 million....you're off by $900k. He's making $7.6 million, even more grotesque than $6.7 million.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
For the love of God... He's making 7.6 mil a year with a 12 mil buyout.

The internet is literally littered with these numbers.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
This is twice now you posted $6.7 million....you're off by $900k. He's making $7.6 million, even more grotesque than $6.7 million.
tumblr_n8qi9sTfh61r6mt8go2_250.gif

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
He doesn't even mind losing. Some games he seems apathetic, others he genuinely seems happy.

He's a loser. Fire him.

Tunaboat

4th & 34
Lifetime Member
Nov 22, 2015

You're right, so let's also get rid of the idiot that keeps raising his already ridiculous pay level for good measure.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.