Recruiting SDS: Judging Florida's slow start in recruiting is complicated

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Is the head coach or the individual position coaches/recruiters more important ?
It can go either way I suppose but in general the assistants have more contact with the recruits and matter more.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Talk about pumping sunshine and making excuses on what is a big issue right now. The bottom line is if Mullen ends up with some crappy #14 nationally and #6 or so in the SEC recruiting class he failed to do his job in recruiting - no way to spin the reality of that. Other big schools with those same type circumstances have coaches getting good 2nd classes.
I can't think of other big schools (plural) with those same type circumstances that you could be talking about.

Edit: See cover's post, #19, above.

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Is the head coach or the individual position coaches/recruiters more important ? I can definitely see the old dude (unless a legend) not making connections like the younger dynamic coaches. Just curious as to our greatest need in personnel on the trail.

It can go either way I suppose but in general the assistants have more contact with the recruits and matter more.
I agree with Law. Each of the assistants have a specific area in the state (and country) and are to establish relationships and make inroads with the identified recruits. Ideally, they are equal parts salesmen and competent/successful football coaches. There are probably more unbalanced. The easy thing is to write off the current staff based on where we find ourselves in the current recruiting cycle. I'm not concerned if that's fair, but rather is it accurate based on the sample size we have on them while at UF? We all want to be back where we were in the late 2000's, but again, I'm afraid it isn't going to happen really quickly, much less immediately. As many have opined, I think our return to consideration will only be enhanced by a competent, consistent, and to a degree a dynamic product on the field. An automobile needs all four tires to operate successfully. We've been running on two or more flats for a while.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
What we know is that neither Mullinz nor the assistants are strong enough to overcome the other problems with the program.

Most of us admit that our football facilities and our ghetto housing area a big deal.

We also know that Seider was capable of overcoming the problems, having immediately moved Butters from a #15-25 guy to a top class in under six months and managing to have Mullinz in the top 10 in December before Mullinz arrogantly sent him packing. Seider isn't the only great recruiter out there, however there just doesnt appear to be any on this staff.

gatormandan

Are we back yet?
Lifetime Member
Oct 15, 2014
What we know is that neither Mullinz nor the assistants are strong enough to overcome the other problems with the program.

Most of us admit that our football facilities and our ghetto housing area a big deal.

We also know that Seider was capable of overcoming the problems, having immediately moved Butters from a #15-25 guy to a top class in under six months and managing to have Mullinz in the top 10 in December before Mullinz arrogantly sent him packing. Seider isn't the only great recruiter out there, however there just doesnt appear to be any on this staff.

Perhaps you can offer a tutoring class pro bono?

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I know what I'd do.

No one at UAA else seems to think the dumpster fire is a problem.
They care only about baseball and softball. Atleast they're living up to the racist old men reputation they've developed.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I can't think of other big schools (plural) with those same type circumstances that you could be talking about.

Edit: See cover's post, #19, above.

That is BS imo. We have had 4 good or relatively decent seasons in the last 10 years and others in the same boat like Texas and A&M have had/or are heading to good 2nd classes with their new coaches. Same with Tenn and Butch Jones. FSU and Georgia didn't have top notch facilities while cranking out these good classes and FSU looks to have a good 2nd class coming for their new coach. Its crazy how people think just because Butters was a sh*tty recruiter that should give Mullen a pass at a school like UF.

Last edited:

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I'm tired of these excuses. We have half the class committed, many of the blue-chip recruits we've been hard after are committed elsewhere....and sooner or later perception becomes reality. For the future of the program, Mullen needs to land 12 or more blue-chip players in this class. So, as it stands we're probably going to land 11 to 13 more commits, meaning at least 8 of them needs to be 4-star or better.
Without a doubt you're correct...There is a couple of smaller yet key points that need to happen along the way to making this a reality IMO.....
1.Beat FSU....It's the last game of the season and most in state recruits will be there so leave a good impression even if they are committed elsewhere.

2. Play UGA with everything you've got and motivate current players to leave nothing on the field....obviously a win would be the desired outcome, BUT don't let them make a mockery of us 2 years in a row.....can't happen.

3.Do everything you can to have EJ ready and looking like he's the guy who will be at he helm for the next 3 years....recruits want to play with other exciting winners.....and in case anyone on this board hasn't noticed there isn't anyone else who fits the description of exciting at the QB position.

4. Stay in touch with players committed elsewhere....If we look respectable on the field when the recruiting season winds down there will be good recruits who might want to stay closer to home if their in state plus there is not a single year when some national powerhouse stumbles....these are perfect times to get back in a kids ears....

5. Beat FSU...…AGAIN....with a new coach and coming off a poor season last year I think they will be prime for the plucking. Stealing a recruit not named Treon Harris would be huge momentum shifter in a battle we've been losing for 8 years now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb