SDS: Realistic set of expectations for Dan Mullen's first year at Florida

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Here's a realistic set of expectations for Dan Mullen's first year at Florida

https://www.saturdaydownsouth.com/f...istic-expectations-mullen-first-year-florida/

Dan Mullen was hired to do a simple job in Gainesville — get Florida back to being a force in the SEC and make it one of the premier programs nationally.

All Mullen has to do is take a 4-win team and dethrone the emerging beast that is Georgia. And if he really wants to bring Florida “back,” he might as well knock off Alabama in an SEC Championship or two.

Easy enough, right?

If that happens in Mullen’s first year, Florida athletic director Scott Stricklin will just give Mullen a blank check at season’s end to sign his lifetime contract. More realistically, though, the Gators will still be looking up at their division rivals. You don’t erase 42-7 that quickly against the national runners-up.

Their realistic task for 2018 is getting back to respectability. What does respectability look like? It lies somewhere between what Florida and Georgia did last year.

Mullen is capable of getting Florida to respectability. After all, he got Mississippi State to 8 consecutive bowl games. That was after a 5-7 first season in Starkville. So should Florida fans expect the same?

Not exactly.

To try and assess a possible win total for Year 1 of the Mullen era, we should probably try to figure out the keys to Florida’s success.

Obviously the first thing that Florida fans want to see turned around is at the quarterback position. That production won’t be measured by passing yards. Ironically enough, Mississippi State actually finished No. 112 in passing offense compared to Florida at No. 101. Expecting Feleipe Franks or Emory Jones to start passing for 250 yards per game would be unrealistic.

What is realistic is getting 25-30 touchdowns out of the quarterback position. Mississippi State got 37 scores from its signal-callers last year, and 40 the year before. That was without Dak Prescott.

Florida got 10 touchdowns from the quarterback position in 2017. Ten.

That’s rock bottom.
I’d be surprised if either Franks or Jones had double digit touchdowns as a passer and as a rusher, but I’d be more surprised if Florida’s starting quarterback didn’t account for at least 20 scores.

There’s no reason that Florida can’t improve its No. 108 scoring offense. Even if Mullen’s quarterback doesn’t turn into Tim Tebow overnight — that’s not happening — the Gators still have too many talented offensive weapons (Kadarius Toney, Lamical Perine, Jordan Scarlett and Malik Davis) for Mullen to struggle like Jim McElwain did.

It’s not crazy to suggest that Florida finishes in the middle of the national rankings in terms of scoring. The 16-point showings against Missouri should be a thing of the past.

The offense is going to get all the headlines early on in the Mullen era, but I’m intrigued by what comes of this new 3-4 defense.

Nationally, I didn’t feel like Todd Grantham got enough love for the job he did completely turning around Mississippi State on that side of the ball. He helped maximize the freakish abilities of Jeffery Simmons and Montez Sweat, both of whom earned first-team All-SEC selections.

Grantham is going to have similar talent to work with in Gainesville. Cece Jefferson probably doesn’t return to school if not for the chance to work with Grantham. Having other veteran playmakers like David Reese and Jabari Zuniga back is only going to help with the transition.

It’s hard to judge Florida’s 2017 defensive numbers because of how horrific the offense was. Even the best units can’t hold strong if they don’t ever get a break. The Gators were a solid unit that finished with mediocre numbers after falling apart down the stretch.

That shouldn’t be the case in 2018. In fact, I expect Grantham’s unit to be Florida’s backbone in the early stages of the Mullen era. That doesn’t mean there should be a drastic imbalance like there was in the McElwain era. Why can’t Florida have a top-25 scoring defense in 2018? Mississippi State did it in a tougher division in 2017. Surely that’s a perfectly realistic expectation.

So what does that mean for Florida in 2018? If there’s going to be improvement on both sides of the ball, how much will that show up in the win total?

I don’t think you see the Gators play down to their competition like they did for far too often with McElwain. That will go a long way toward easing the stress that Florida fans felt throughout SEC play. There should be actual offensive progression, which will be a new sight in Gainesville.

If I had to set a way-too-early regular season win total, I’d probably put it at 7 or 8. Maybe Florida beats LSU or Mullen rallies the troops in his return to Starkville. They could still be subject to a disappointing loss in the first half of the season as the offense transitions. Still, a trip to the TaxSlayer Bowl doesn’t sound like the worst thing in the world considering the mess that was 2017.

Mullen’s task is not easy, but he can make Florida’s rebuild look a lot easier than McElwain did.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I expect about 8 wins. I also expect to be competitive in every game and the team to not quit like we’ve seen time after time when adversity strikes.

Acecustis

Sep 25, 2017
Just get back to a bowl game and beat the Noles. We still have a talent problem that isn’t getting fixed with one recruiting class

FireFoley

Lifetime Member
Nov 19, 2014
I was never and still am not in the Cousin Eddie camp. but as I say about all our coaches and teams, I am not a numbers, scoreboard or records person in the short run. I am a quality of play and process person. If there seems to be an improvement in process (management included) and quality of play, that would be great. but it does not take long to see if it is not. Innate abilities are usually obvious quite early on.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Little head vs. Big head....such a quandary for Feleipe.....

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Franks' job is to come in the game on third-and-31 and heave the ball as far as he can.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
. Ironically enough, Mississippi State actually finished No. 112 in passing offense compared to Florida at No. 101. Expecting Feleipe Franks or Emory Jones to start passing for 250 yards per game would be unrealistic..
I dont find that ironic.

Prophetic is probaly the better word.
The Gators were a solid unit that finished with mediocre numbers after falling apart down the stretch.
mmmmm.... right.

Still, a trip to the TaxSlayer Bowl doesn’t sound like the worst thing in the world considering the mess that was 2017.
Yeah.... ok. SOS never went to Taxslayer bowls. Tough sell for those trying who claimed we just hired an offensive guru.

I agree that that Taxslayer or similar is likely however. We will grind the ball into the teeth of SEC defenses built to stop the other 14 grind the ball offenses.

Last edited:

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Tax Slayer Bowl is reason to be happy. Sad to say, but there's some truth to that...

Thanks Butters. Butters is like the smell when you leave your car windows down and it rains. Stinky and takes for ever to leave.

NVGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
W- Charleston Southern
Toss- Kentucky
W- Colorado State
W- @ Tennessee
L- @ Mississippi State
L- LSU
L- @ Vanderbilt
L- Georgia (Jax)
W- Missouri
W- South Carolina
W- Idaho
L- @ FSU

I see 6-6 to at best 8-4.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I dont find that ironic.

Prophetic is probaly the better word.
mmmmm.... right.

Yeah.... ok. SOS never went to Taxslayer bowls. Tough sell for those trying who claimed we just hired an offensive guru.

I agree that that Taxslayer or similar is likely however. We will grind the ball into the teeth of SEC defenses built to stop the other 14 grind the ball offenses.

Spurrier went to the Taxslayer (Gator bowl) in 1992, beating NC State.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Year after year there is some faint hope of the offense improving to at least average. Here I go again...

I start with expecting our team to be tougher & higher effort. There’s no doubt the loss of Scarlett & Callaway and others hurt badly in terms of X’s & O’s, but maybe worse in terms of team chemistry. That should be much improved. I don’t expect much from the xfers even if they are cleared to play. But there MUST be 3-5 decent WRs among those 12 and 2-3 TEs that can play. The huge question mark is how fast Jones or Franks can learn and excel.

7-5 or 8-4 and fighting hard all season is reasonable to expect.

CaseyGator

Ox’s Favorite Poster
Sep 13, 2016
W- Charleston Southern
Toss- Kentucky
W- Colorado State
W- @ Tennessee
L- @ Mississippi State
L- LSU
L- @ Vanderbilt
L- Georgia (Jax)
W- Missouri
W- South Carolina
W- Idaho
L- @ FSU

You’ve just made me realize I’m one of the unreasonable fans who expect too much. I was thinking 10-2. :banghead:

Gatorraid81

Lifetime Member
Dec 4, 2016
W- Charleston Southern
Toss- Kentucky
W- Colorado State
W- @ Tennessee
L- @ Mississippi State
L- LSU
L- @ Vanderbilt
L- Georgia (Jax)
W- Missouri
W- South Carolina
W- Idaho
L- @ FSU

Mullen should be able to find a way to beat Vandy, all the other games you have as losses seems reasonable. I’ll gladly take a loss to Vandy if it meant we’d beat the Noles.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb