Sean Kelley the new Voice of the Gators

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Used to do play by play for the NBA Pelicans and Tulane and did radio for ESPN.

Play-by-Play Veteran Kelley Hired as 'Voice of the Gators' - Florida Gators

GAINESVILLE, Fla. — The Gators have a new voice, and his mic has been hot lately.

The University Athletic Association announced Wednesday that ESPN Radio play-by-play announcer Sean Kelley is the fresh "Voice of the Gators," replacing Mick Hubert. Hubert retired in May after 33 years in the role.

Kelley is a veteran broadcaster with ties to college athletics, the NBA, NFL and Major League Baseball. He spent Monday afternoon in Boston calling the Rays-Red Sox game at Fenway Park, his first visit to the storied ballpark, and nine days after Kelley called Houston's combined no-hitter at Yankee Stadium on June 25.

No Bates :shakehead:

Discuss.

Alex.

Last edited:

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Princess Bride Boo GIF by filmeditor

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
Seems "privileged" to me...
1657117559220.png

...and he is a St. Louis native but I love seeing all the sports on his Twatter feed, as you can tell he is a sports nut.

I especially like his public acknowledgement of a belief in God and a profession of love for his wife...
1657117986410.png

Was still hoping for Batesy. :sadnanner:

AlexDaGator

Founding Member
The Hammer of Thor
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I have heard a rumor that Bates withdrew his name from consideration so that makes the "no Bates" sting a little easier to take.

This tidbit from the article gives me hope that I'm going to like this guy:
Kelley strayed far from the broadcast booth during his time in New Orleans. He worked as a firefighter with St. Tammany Parish Fire District for several years to build ties and contribute to the community.

That makes him sound like a good dude and a good representative of Gator Nation.

Alex.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Agree with the “We want Bates” crowd, maybe someday…. However, I like what people are posting here about the new guy, seems like a genuinely good guy. I’m willing to see how he does before I throw any rocks.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I always pictured Batesy as more of a color guy - a Lee McGriff type rather than play by play.
Could they bring him in as his sidekick?

RiverRat

Glass half full
Lifetime Member
Nov 1, 2017
Bates seem like more of a sidelines guy or color commentator, would still love to see him involved.
The new guy seem like a good hire sure has the voice for it.

AuggieDosta

I Don't Re Member
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2018
I have heard a rumor that Bates withdrew his name from consideration so that makes the "no Bates" sting a little easier to take.

This tidbit from the article gives me hope that I'm going to like this guy:

That makes him sound like a good dude and a good representative of Gator Nation.

Alex.

Or...and hear me out. That info, along with that seersucker suit means that pic with his wife is actually a pic of his "beard".

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
I love the Irish as long as they arent Dotre Name..........I just read the story about him.........sounds like a winner, Im excited to hear him.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Waiting on @soflagator's full review of that seersucker suit.

Well, I t’s a cocktail hour function, and in May, so it fits. Unfortunately while the bow tie is fine, as is the pocket square, they really should match. Button down collar isn’t appropriate here. And, I understand they’re doing sleeve alterations at most tailors now, which makes me wonder if he went full Mullen on the pant hems as well.

Honestly,bBatesy would’ve been my pick, but I’m good with this guy. Seems like a decent hire.

NOLAGATOR

God uses the unlikely to accomplish the impossible
Lifetime Member
Aug 20, 2018
Welcome to the Swamp.

I would have preferred an Elite Gator Grad but he has my support.

He lived on the Northsore in LA for a while. 2002 -2019

He was with Tulane and the NO /Hornets/Pelicans/Saints for awhile.

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
Welcome to the Swamp.

I would have preferred an Elite Gator Grad but he has my support.

He lived on the Northsore in LA for a while. 2002 -2019

He was with Tulane and the NO /Hornets/Pelicans/Saints for awhile.

So he’s familiar with championship runs, is what you’re saying.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.