SEC distributes 43 million per school

AugustaGator

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
80MM long term with another $80 MM in short term liabilities.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Better hurry up before the TV contracts start to go in the toilet.
Yeah, the next round from ESPN will likely be smaller.

I don't think they have anyone left to fire.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
So I decided to go back and see what the budget looked like before all the SEC TV money started coming in to see if I could figure out what the heck we're doing with it. What I saw pretty much tells the story. Here goes.

Football expenses - $21.6M
G&A and Support Services - $36M

Football expenses - $22.1M
G&A and Support Services - $60M

So a 2.3% increase in the football budget, but a 66% increase in the G&A and support services budget.

If we took $10M of the the $24M we're spending on accountants, marketing, risk mgmt, etc. and instead put in into capital improvements for the football program we'd have $150M to spend if we only capitalize it over 15 years.

A complete no-brainer to anyone with a brain.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Back when Ole Fooley was still running the show, he paid himself 1.5 mil, while Bammer, who had just won 3 in 4 NCs, was making 750k.

We've always paid well for paperclip counters.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
One of those subjects where I have to redirect my brain. The more I think about it, the madder I get.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
So I decided to go back and see what the budget looked like before all the SEC TV money started coming in to see if I could figure out what the heck we're doing with it. What I saw pretty much tells the story. Here goes.

So a 2.3% increase in the football budget, but a 66% increase in the G&A and support services budget.

If we took $10M of the the $24M we're spending on accountants, marketing, risk mgmt, etc. and instead put in into capital improvements for the football program we'd have $150M to spend if we only capitalize it over 15 years.

That's obscene.

Doesn't it make sense to:

1 .Project income over a five year period recognizing that the Cable gravy train is in all probability going to slow down.
2. Make every penny spent count with well thought out development of facilities measured against what they will return
3. Prioritize what is needed right now vs what we'd "like" to have in the future.(The Taj Mahal is neither an absolute necessity nor affordable)
4. Recognize that while it's a bad idea to get into full facilities wars. It's not a bad idea to do the best we can within our means. (I say a full scale facilities war is a bad idea because when the gravy train dries up, they're are going to be some programs in a world of hurt. They're will be some with multi-billion dollar boosters who will escape the pain but not many..

So it's a typical management/strategic business problem. It's not simple but neither is it rocket science.

I just don't get it. We go for the Taj Mahal where it doesn't provide a bang for the buck. We act as if there's all the time in the world and put off other improvements even though funding may take a hit. And G&A goes through the roof. At least the crazy budget should buy us someone who could come up with and execute a decent plan. If this was a company and I was on the board of directors, I'd have a cow.

YLGator

Lifetime Member
Jan 14, 2016
That's obscene.

1 .Project income over a five year period recognizing that the Cable gravy train is in all probability going to slow down.
2. Make every penny spent count with well thought out development of facilities measured against what they will return
3. Prioritize what is needed right now vs what we'd "like" to have in the future.(The Taj Mahal is neither an absolute necessity nor affordable)
4. Recognize that while it's a bad idea to get into full facilities wars. It's not a bad idea to do the best we can within our means. (I say a full scale facilities war is a bad idea because when the gravy train dries up, they're are going to be some programs in a world of hurt. They're will be some with multi-billion dollar boosters who will escape the pain but not many..

So it's a typical management/strategic business problem. It's not simple but neither is it rocket science.

I just don't get it. We go for the Taj Mahal where it doesn't provide a bang for the buck. We act as if there's all the time in the world and put off other improvements even though funding may take a hit. And G&A goes through the roof. At least the crazy budget should buy us someone who could come up with and execute a decent plan. If this was a company and I was on the board of directors, I'd have a cow.
If I was on the board, the entire Management Team would be relieved of their duties immediately.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
At least we are fat in the right places, in the admin offices. Full of baseball and softball people. And attorneys who wrote Chimp's and Butter's contracts.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
That's obscene.

The baseball Taj Majal?

It is the price we apparently have to pay to update football from the 1970s.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

YUP!!!!

It was always a no brainer but too many were worshipping at the golden horsetoothed calf.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator