SEC Overturns Powell's Suspension for LeFlop

SGG

Call me Ernie, or Big Ern
Lifetime Member
Sep 24, 2015
http://florida.247sports.com/Bolt/McElwain-SEC-overturns-Powells-first-half-suspension-47838828

GAINESVILLE, Fla. -- Florida receiver Brandon Powell won't face a suspension for the Vanderbilt game following an ejection against Tennessee for "throwing a punch."

In the second half, Powell lightly threw his arm out in the air and Tennessee defensive back Rashaan Gaulden flopped as if he'd been shot (you can watch the clip above). Refs ejected Powell, which would typically cause him to be suspended from the first half of the following game.

But coach Jim McElwain said he won't be suspended against Vanderbilt this weekend after the SEC office reviewed the call.

"We've received word that he'll go," McElwain said. "Nothing from there, so he was full go from Monday afternoon on."

Powell, a junior, has recorded 15 catches for 145 yards and two touchdowns on the season.

GatorBart

Founding Member
:bandit:
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
As well they should have - they should actually suspend the UT player who flopped, mainly for taunting. If a UF player taunted like that, the flag would have flown against us, no doubt.
The ref should also be suspended - he was right there watching the UT player taunt BP and saw the whole thing. My god, are they that blind?
http://www.al.com/sports/index.ssf/2016/09/watch_tennessee_player_flop_on.html

One comment I liked - 'Rocky Flop!' :lmao:

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Glad they did the right thing. Was a ridiculous call.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I am surprised the UT player did not get any mention. That was bush league.

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I called that in the chatbox Saturday night. No way that suspension was going to stand.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Hopefully he was ruled out of KO returns.

diehardg8r

Sep 14, 2014
Watched an interesting special on HBO sports with Gumbel last night talking about balls and strikes and how often Umps get it wrong. What was most interesting is how often they tended to bias towards the home team and it was significant the amount of calls that went against the visitors. I have to extrapolate from that that the same thing has the potential of happening in other sports which brings me to the conclusion that the ref got it wrong on this call for some of the same reasons and fan influence. Hell, if they really want to do a prospective study on officiating they should take a look at the Duke basketball home games and the flopping that goes on their along with the disparity in fouls called.

NavetG8r

Founding Member
Stupid
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Hell, if they really want to do a prospective study on officiating they should take a look at the Duke basketball home games and the flopping that goes on their along with the disparity in fouls called.
Or Bama football and how many holding calls get "missed".

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Watched an interesting special on HBO sports with Gumbel last night talking about balls and strikes and how often Umps get it wrong. What was most interesting is how often they tended to bias towards the home team and it was significant the amount of calls that went against the visitors. I have to extrapolate from that that the same thing has the potential of happening in other sports which brings me to the conclusion that the ref got it wrong on this call for some of the same reasons and fan influence. Hell, if they really want to do a prospective study on officiating they should take a look at the Duke basketball home games and the flopping that goes on their along with the disparity in fouls called.

I call BS. This isn't the first time we've been screwed by officiating while playing against Tenn. and it won't be the last. The difference is, THIS TIME an official didn't cost us the game. The last time those bastards beat us, 12 years ago, was a direct result of an official inappropriately throwing a flag ONLY against UF when a UT player was guilty as sin... all the while the ref is watching the whole thing. How those refs are not disciplined for their obvious bias, if not just outright crookedness, is beyond me.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Ive never seen any team hold as frequently and flagrantly as Bammer. Ive also seen one hold get called on them by SEC officials.

They get hit in bowl games though. They always act surprised.

Last edited:

cover2

Founding Member
I've grown old
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Justice is served. As for the official who made the call...

images

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The flopper should be suspended and that should have been reviewable as all personal foul penalties for fighting punching or whatever.

TN G8tr

Founding Member
The "Original" TN G8tr
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
They now view video footage on ejections for targeting. I think that any call that would constitute a player being ejected should be reviewed by video. In Powell's case if they were to do that, it would have been addressed then. In addition anyone that does a flop like that should be subject to a penalty as in delay of game or perhaps the reverse of the "supposed" offender's 15 yarder. Total Bush League there. Glad the SEC office got that right.

Marianna-FL_Gator

#GangGang
Lifetime Member
Aug 1, 2014
If they did a study like that it would severely screw up most of these refs lifestyle!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Floppers should be banned. It made pro soccer and the NBA unwatchable. First instance should be suspension for several games, second a year suspension and third executed in a public square.

destindon

Banned
BANNED
Sep 12, 2016
After reviewing the re-play, the flop was long after Powell got his punch in. The ref was in the process of pulling the flag before the flop.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator