SEC, sans divisions, going with 8-game conference slate in '24

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I love you man, but you never had 10,000 Oxbucks. In fact, you were almost always bumming a hundred or so off me. I just don’t want you to get in over your head here.
The prostitutes at Ox's mind camp are expensive.

Last edited:

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Don't care much for throwing all the eggs, a whole lot of them, into one humongous basket. The SEC is going inverse to the NFL when it grew large and divided into several divisions rather than consolidate.

Turn it into four four-team divisions, have your own separate playoff and declare your own outright champ. The rest of P5 doesn't matter anyway, or does it?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
The rest of P5 doesn't matter anyway, or does it?
Honestly I love the tradition of CFB but it's going out the window anyway you look at it.

What should be done is have a Power 4 conferences, with 4 divisions each and 7 teams in each division(112 total teams).....You play every team in your division(6 games) and one team from each of the other divisions within your conference(3 games) and then 1 team from each of the other 3 conferences(possibly keeping 1 rivalry game) for a total of 12 games. Inter conference and inter divisional games would be tracked by a system used as a tiebreaker based on wins and losses of teams against other teams out of conference and division if needed but there would be very little chance of that ever happening.

Using the same system(ranking each division and conference by using direct records in cross play) would also give you your "playoff seatings" 1-16. Therefore, you would not have say 2 teams from clearly the best conference knocking one or the other out in the first round of the playoffs. Yes, it would mean a 16 game season for the 2 finalist but we're nearly there already.....The only other rule to make things even would be to let all teams eliminated from further play be allowed to practice until the end of the playoffs sort of like teams get to practice for bowl game now.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Honestly I love the tradition of CFB but it's going out the window anyway you look at it.

What should be done is have a Power 4 conferences, with 4 divisions each and 7 teams in each division(112 total teams).....You play every team in your division(6 games) and one team from each of the other divisions within your conference(3 games) and then 1 team from each of the other 3 conferences(possibly keeping 1 rivalry game) for a total of 12 games. Inter conference and inter divisional games would be tracked by a system used as a tiebreaker based on wins and losses of teams against other teams out of conference and division if needed but there would be very little chance of that ever happening.

Using the same system(ranking each division and conference by using direct records in cross play) would also give you your "playoff seatings" 1-16. Therefore, you would not have say 2 teams from clearly the best conference knocking one or the other out in the first round of the playoffs. Yes, it would mean a 16 game season for the 2 finalist but we're nearly there already.....The only other rule to make things even would be to let all teams eliminated from further play be allowed to practice until the end of the playoffs sort of like teams get to practice for bowl game now.

48 teams and we'll talk.

fischerwood

Wake me when we fix this mess
Sep 5, 2014
i'll be honest, i think we need to focus on getting a coach that understands you need to outscore the other team. These TOP, ball control, KISS method coaches will never get us back to the top. Have that coach hire a DC that hates, i mean hates, the Bend (over and take it dry) don't break mind set. I want a dominate defense that scares who ever on the other team has the ball that he's going to get hurt...

then we can get in to the 8 or 9 game schedule and how it impacts the expanded playoff and bowl games
infinite DITTO

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.