SEC, sans divisions, going with 8-game conference slate in '24

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
so i guess the question is did folks bailing cause us to suck, or did us sucking cause them to bail?

asking for your mom
mom was a Vol being from Tennerzee. So she didnt givashttt about the gators. Had all the fellas played we would have competed....

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
I absolutely hate the mega conference model. Should’ve stayed at 12, but I guess I’m just an angry old man, yelling at clouds.

I don’t think age has anything to do with it….I am 38 and feel the same as you….people just can’t freaking leave things alone….but as AC/DC said, money talks and BS walks

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
So does this mean no more SEC title game? Or better yet….could it be a FL-UGA SEC title game?

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
So does this mean no more SEC title game? Or better yet….could it be a FL-UGA SEC title game?
No there will still be a title game, it’ll Just be the two best teams in the conference instead of having one of them sit home half the time because both of the two are in the same division.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
No there will still be a title game, it’ll Just be the two best teams in the conference instead of having one of them sit home half the time because both of the two are in the same division.

Yeah and it's also been annoying how the last few years UGA or Bama (whoever went into the SECCG #1) could get steamrolled and still be guaranteed a spot in the playoffs....with playoff expansion, conf title games will become even less meaningful

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
8/31/24 MIAMI
9/7/24 SAMFORD
10/5/24. UCF
11/30/24. at Evil Nole
Not again....
No Way Do Not Want GIF

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
You do realize with the amount of teams and competition it would be very easy to see seasons where you could have 3 or 4 teams with 11-1 records, right?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014

Are you implying that uga 2011, those Mizzou teams, and our ‘15 and ‘16 squads weren’t second best in the SEC?

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
that why there are tie breakers in place.
Without division schedule that's gonna be kinda hard if you end up with 3 or 4 teams in the same conference with similar records.....it will get very complicated.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You do realize with the amount of teams and competition it would be very easy to see seasons where you could have 3 or 4 teams with 11-1 records, right?
You do realize that way back when the earths crust was still cooling, we didn’t have divisions but still used tiebreakers to figure out who won the conference when teams had identical records.

You do realize that even today two teams in the same division can have identical records but we use tiebreakers to determine who goes to the big game.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
You do realize that way back when the earths crust was still cooling, we didn’t have divisions but still used tiebreakers to figure out who won the conference when teams had identical records.

You do realize that even today two teams in the same division can have identical records but we use tiebreakers to determine who goes to the big game.
We also used to have a 10 team conference with maybe 2 of those schools ever having a realistic chance of winning a conference title in any given year too....

What I'm saying is a 16 team conference with only 12 games and 3 of those being out of conference without division titles opens up a 100X larger chance of multiple teams stacked at the top with 1 loss especially with the caliber of programs in this conference....

Sec14Gator

Lifetime Member
Oct 8, 2017
The schedule imbalance will be even worse in 2024 with only 8 games. Tiebreakers will be secondary to the strength of schedule discrepancies.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We also used to have a 10 team conference with maybe 2 of those schools ever having a realistic chance of winning a conference title in any given year too....

What I'm saying is a 16 team conference with only 12 games and 3 of those being out of conference without division titles opens up a 100X larger chance of multiple teams stacked at the top with 1 loss especially with the caliber of programs in this conference....
I doubt it happens that often. At the end of the season there aren't very many teams in the entire country with only one loss, much less in the SEC. In any event, they're doing it so we'll see. I'd imagine with the money and prestige on the line for national titles that the tiebreaker system will lean toward the teams with the best national ranking.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014

Some of the old rules were incredibly stupid. One that comes to mind was that if 2 teams tied for 1st in the SEC, they shared the title, even if one team beat the other head-to-head during the season.

In today’s playoff system, they will probably spend time making sure there are no pot holes in the rules. However, holding up the old system as a beacon of hope isn’t the strongest argument.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator