SEC vs. ACC Acceptance Standards

Himey

Founding Member
Super Important Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I forwarded to a Nole co-worker the article about Shavar not qualifying for UF due to grades and that he is instead committing to FSU. I asked him how it is that FSU has lower standards for accepting football players. (This is assuming the article was accurate of course). He got a bit defensive and claimed that the ACC has higher acceptance standards than SEC schools for admitting football players and that Gator fans are just being sour grapes. Any truth to that?

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Like vandy, I'm sure UVA, Duke, Wake Forest and maybe Syracuse have "higher" standards. Miami actually has similar admission standards as UF. Either way it's a pissing contest. They're football players and 75% or more likely couldn't get into a community college in real life! Who cares?

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
outside of Duke the ACC has acceptance standards? Didn't know that

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I would add VA Tech, Boston College, GA Tech to the higher standards list. UNC is a dumpster fire for athlete academics, and FSU is probably the Ole Miss or MS State of the SEC as far as standards go.

gardnerwebbgator

Founding Member
Aight Then
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
North Avenue Trade in Atlanta is not an easy place to get into.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Other than Duke and Ga Tech, I assume most of the other schools are pretty easy to get into compared to a school like Florida. But compared to Ole Miss, Miss State, UT, Arkansas where all you need is 4 working teeth, I don't know how they compare.

Himey

Founding Member
Super Important Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
More specifically, how does UF and FSU compare?

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
Other than Duke and Ga Tech, I assume most of the other schools are pretty easy to get into compared to a school like Florida. But compared to Ole Miss, Miss State, UT, Arkansas where all you need is 2 working teeth, I don't know how they compare.

FIFY

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
I almost posted a thread on this topic earlier. Over time there have been a number of athletes that didnt qualify or removed that immediately were picked up by other teams. Articles on TN and SN today about our lack of blue chip players with some commentators saying that many of the players listed would never have qualified at UF. Just curious if there are any standards, or do other schools just have more/better recruitors.

Many other issues from bad recruiting, to perks that UM and FSU has that UF doesnt have community wise. When you travel around the state and visit larger minority venues, count the amount of UF swag (tags, jackets,hats) compared to FSU, A, or UM. We are a small minority of what you will see and that is our recruiting demographic for football.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
fsu's standards aren't even close to uf's for athletic scholls as well as academic and general admission.

Homer J

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
You guys are failing to remember that when it comes to athletes, there are no standards.

Remember, Alan Iverson went to Georgetown and Stephon Marbury went to GT. If they weren't star basketball players, they'd have trouble getting into fsu.

alcoholica

Founding Member
I'm what Willis was talking about
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Don't forget about the kid with a 60 IQ. How the hell is that responsible to take a kid with a 60 IQ and ship him off to Tallahassee to fend for himself?

biggator6

Oct 2, 2014
You guys are failing to remember that when it comes to athletes, there are no standards.

Remember, Alan Iverson went to Georgetown and Stephon Marbury went to GT. If they weren't star basketball players, they'd have trouble getting into fsu.
..and Marshawn Lynch went to UC Berkeley..

Jun 2, 2015
Like vandy, I'm sure UVA, Duke, Wake Forest and maybe Syracuse have "higher" standards. Miami actually has similar admission standards as UF. Either way it's a pissing contest. They're football players and 75% or more likely couldn't get into a community college in real life! Who cares?

Well, I care. When a player can't get into Miami or UF due to academics, but can get into FSU, that does not produce an even playing field.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb