Serena meltdown

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
Could have something to do with the fact that she just had a kid and might have a bit of a belly still. Still didn’t stop her from getting one game away from another championship. But, continue. Your jokes are hysterical.
One game away? You obviously did not see the match. It was not even close.

Bama&GatorFan

Friends in high places
Dec 5, 2015
Yeah, she sucks at Tennis and isn’t mentally tough. Seems about right considering she was playing this match to be considered the greatest of all time. And according to you she’s an awful person, despite never getting into trouble off the court. Genius observational skills. Log off while you’re ahead.
In my view, you have to be a good sport to be the greatest of all time. You have to respect officials. Threatening to "cram a f**** tennis ball down the official's f***** throat" is not respecting officials. Sure, she is good at tennis. But she is a very bad example and I cannot support her at all.

stephenPE

Lifetime Member
Jul 20, 2014
Bet she dont miss that support. Good article about her and her recent motherhood in SI recently. Maybe 2-3 issues back.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Here’s the deal. She was getting dominated. She had already gotten a penalty for the coaching thing and then she double faulted to lose a game that she needed desperately if she was going to have a chance at not losing in straight sets. That’s when she lost her sh*t and started her temper tantrum by smashing her racquet. When he issued her a another violation (rightfully so) she simply decided it was over and tried to take her frustration out on the ump. She made a spectacle of herself, called him a liar and a thief. It was her attempt to deflect from getting her ass handed to her on the court. She earned every penalty she got and the accompanying fines she occurred afterward.
She’s no doubt the GOAT in her sport, but she did not represent herself nor the sport well on one of the biggest stages that day. She should be embarrassed and apologize, but since she’s a black, female, mom she decided to use one of those cards to try and place the blame on the ump. Lots of dumbasses are falling for it.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
"Carlos Ramos is one of the most experienced and respected umpires in tennis. Mr. Ramos' decisions were in accordance with the relevant rules and were reaffirmed by the US Open's decision to fine Serena Williams for the three offenses." ~ International Tennis Federation

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
"Carlos Ramos is one of the most experienced and respected umpires in tennis. Mr. Ramos' decisions were in accordance with the relevant rules and were reaffirmed by the US Open's decision to fine Serena Williams for the three offenses." ~ International Tennis Federation
But she’s a mom!?!?

soflagator

Lifetime Member
Sep 4, 2014
I think this quote from Williams is a prime example of her character.

“I can’t sit here and say I wouldn’t say he’s a thief, because I thought he took a game from me,” Williams said.

Yeah, that's not the order in which that happened Serena. In fact, while the majority will simply lap this up as a valid explanation, it's the exact opposite of what happened. She called him a thief and THEN he took a game from her.

And as others have said, her own coach admitted that he was in fact coaching her. We can talk all day about whether or not that should be allowed during matches, and also whether or not it still happens despite the rule. But it's the equivalent of saying there's holding on every football play, so a ref shouldn't call it when/if he sees it. She knows the rules, as do all the others. When you break them, and are caught, there is some measure of consequence. Pretty simple.

What's also being completely overlooked is the cumulative affect. Several articles are painting this as if she was just docked a point, then a game, when in reality, she was given several warnings, continued in her wayward course, badgered the guy for what felt like an eternity, and ultimately takes a shot at him questioning his ethics in judging the match. All the "I've heard worse" or "this guy broke a his racket and didn't lose a game" comments are valid, until you consider the entirety of the situation. All of that combined will get you a punishment, and rightly so. For her to stand on some soap box and talk about how she was fighting for women's rights and equality in a tennis match only further validates my initial post in this thread that she is a complete phony.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Coach just ensuring that this thread, which up til now belongs in this forum, gets dragged into the PF.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
I think this quote from Williams is a prime example of her character.

“I can’t sit here and say I wouldn’t say he’s a thief, because I thought he took a game from me,” Williams said.

Yeah, that's not the order in which that happened Serena. In fact, while the majority will simply lap this up as a valid explanation, it's the exact opposite of what happened. She called him a thief and THEN he took a game from her.

And as others have said, her own coach admitted that he was in fact coaching her. We can talk all day about whether or not that should be allowed during matches, and also whether or not it still happens despite the rule. But it's the equivalent of saying there's holding on every football play, so a ref shouldn't call it when/if he sees it. She knows the rules, as do all the others. When you break them, and are caught, there is some measure of consequence. Pretty simple.

What's also being completely overlooked is the cumulative affect. Several articles are painting this as if she was just docked a point, then a game, when in reality, she was given several warnings, continued in her wayward course, badgered the guy for what felt like an eternity, and ultimately takes a shot at him questioning his ethics in judging the match. All the "I've heard worse" or "this guy broke a his racket and didn't lose a game" comments are valid, until you consider the entirety of the situation. All of that combined will get you a punishment, and rightly so. For her to stand on some soap box and talk about how she was fighting for women's rights and equality in a tennis match only further validates my initial post in this thread that she is a complete phony.
Just to add to this regarding progression of penalties for others...

Son #1 is a VERY good tennis player (is an instructor at Jonesville Tennis Center and gets paid $30/hr to do so and runs a clinic for Jonesville at Gainesville High every Friday afternoon) and I've been through this a million times watching him play in tournaments.

If an umpire is being FAIR, once he/she gives that first official warning, there really is no discretion after that. They have effectively "lit the fuse" on the progression. There is a ton of discretion leading up to that first OFFICIAL warning, but once given, it's the progression and if Serena didn't know that, again, she's either ignorant, entitled, or both.

Think for a minute... if after giving the warning for Coaching violation, then taking a point for the conduct violation, had Ramos then warned her again for the disrespect and he NOT taken the game, then Osaka is put in the really, really sh*tty position, either on the spot or post match, of saying, "Hey, that's not fair! He's supposed to dock her a game and he DIDN'T because she's Serena and gets a pass."

Ramos did it right and I'm glad the powers that be backed him, even if US Open organization does not.

maheo30

WiLLLLLLLie! WiLLLLLLLie!
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2014
By the way, something I haven’t seen mentioned by the media. Men are fined far more frequently than women. Over the years, of the 10 most fined players in tennis, only one is female. Yeah, Serena Williams. She more than doubles other women. Still, she’s not even top 5

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Send this thread to the dungeon. There are some moronic opinions in here. The stupidity is obviously contagious.

Alcoholica is an appropriate username because you come across like a drunk. Obviously, you can’t just accept greatness when it’s staring you in the face. You’re so butthurt it’s not even funny. The fact that this woman is so good is obviously triggering for you. Osaka even said Serena was her idol.

Bama&GatorFan thinks someone needs to be a “good sport” to be the greatest of all time. Really? So, by that logic, Nick Saban is an absolute piece of ****. Oh, he’s not because he’s a man and he’s allowed to be an ******* and throw tantrums? Ah, I see! Go back and think that argument over in your trailer and make sure you run it by your sister/wife.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Send this thread to the dungeon. There are some moronic opinions in here. The stupidity is obviously contagious.

Alcoholica is an appropriate username because you come across like a drunk. Obviously, you can’t just accept greatness when it’s staring you in the face. You’re so butthurt it’s not even funny. The fact that this woman is so good is obviously triggering for you. Osaka even said Serena was her idol.

Bama&GatorFan thinks someone needs to be a “good sport” to be the greatest of all time. Really? So, by that logic, Nick Saban is an absolute piece of ****. Oh, he’s not because he’s a man and he’s allowed to be an ******* and throw tantrums? Ah, I see! Go back and think that argument over in your trailer and make sure you run it by your sister/wife.
And clearly extends to your ignorance of the rules and the history of Ramos applying them equally.

Yes, Serena is the GWOAT in tennis, with a W. She needs to act like it when she knows she's on the downslope. Look at how Federer handled his match/loss and the realization that he just doesn't have it anymore against the other top players in those heat conditions. He acted like the pro that he is and always has been.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
And clearly extends to your ignorance of the rules and the history of Ramos applying them equally.

Yes, Serena is the GWOAT in tennis, with a W. She needs to act like it when she knows she's on the downslope. Look at how Federer handled his match/loss and the realization that he just doesn't have it anymore against the other top players in those heat conditions. He acted like the pro that he is and always has been.

Dude, go back and look at my previous posts. You tennis aficionados keep harping on the fact that I accidentally used the term “game” instead of “match”. Who cares? We all know she was losing. The fact of the matter is that the ref stopped the match and penalized her because her coach put two thumbs in the air and motioned backwards. That could have easily been stopped with a simple warning to THE COACH. Serena actually had a conversation with him after the first incident and thought they had a mutual understanding.

I don’t care about Ramos’ history. His actions in the past don’t justify this situation. He was obviously a sensitive little man and still is. He should have expressed restraint instead of trying to make an example out of a player in a match that should have been fully determined by the players. She is not blameless, but there should have never been three violations.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Dude, go back and look at my previous posts. You tennis aficionados keep harping on the fact that I accidentally used the term “game” instead of “match”. Who cares? We all know she was losing. The fact of the matter is that the ref stopped the match and penalized her because her coach put two thumbs in the air and motioned backwards. That could have easily been stopped with a simple warning to THE COACH. Serena actually had a conversation with him after the first incident and thought they had a mutual understanding.

I don’t care about Ramos’ history. His actions in the past don’t justify this situation. He was obviously a sensitive little man and still is. He should have expressed restraint instead of trying to make an example out of a player in a match that should have been fully determined by the players. She is not blameless, but there should have never been three violations.
Again, you don't understand the game or the rules, we get it.

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Again, you don't understand the game or the rules, we get it.

Nice comeback. I’m sure you’d be calm if you were penalized for something your coach did in the middle of the most important match you’ve ever played. Such a hypocrite.

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Nice comeback. I’m sure you’d be calm if you were penalized for something your coach did in the middle of the most important match you’ve ever played. Such a hypocrite.
THERE IS A RULE FOR THAT. I get that you do not understand that or that it is a "coach" that does the "coaching" and not the player and that maybe, just maybe, they use signals to do so, like a thumbs up means something else, like in baseball. I've seen it a MILLION times in person. Your coach is YOU and thus YOU get the penalty PER the rules. Again, I get your ignorance, it's OK.

My "nice comeback" is because it is clear that detailing it for you wouldn't make a bit of difference.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator