Shane Matthews & Brady Ackerman go in depth about our facilities

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Marianna said:
Smmfh...thinking like this just shows me that you don't have a clue how these recruits think nowadays. You know how Bama has had 6 straight # 1 ranked recruiting classes???? It's because they do have "Waterfalls and $hit" that's why! Bama recruited good before Saban got there but nothing like they are able to do today and the reason they are able to recruit like they do is because they have the best of everything. We're Florida and if we had the same or better facilities as Bama,LSU,UGA do you know what would happen? We'd get whoever the F*ck we wanted that's what! I don't want Foley fired BTW I just want him to do his F*cking job and fix the $hit that's broken but I guess you can't understand that.

MJM points to Gymnastics and Softball trophies and say GTFO!!!! Best AD ever!!!!

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
[QUOTE='78;n233380]Foley's thinking continues to mystify me. There's an urgent arms race for superiority in the SEC and Foley's committed to investing for zero interest rates in the bank. I wouldn't want this guy managing my portfolio.[/QUOTE]

I thought we owed about 100M, now everyone needs some cash but if we have massive amounts then the debt should be reduced.

Whatever!!!

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Marianna said:
Smmfh...thinking like this just shows me that you don't have a clue how these recruits think nowadays. You know how Bama has had 6 straight # 1 ranked recruiting classes???? It's because they do have "Waterfalls and $hit" that's why! Bama recruited good before Saban got there but nothing like they are able to do today and the reason they are able to recruit like they do is because they have the best of everything. We're Florida and if we had the same or better facilities as Bama,LSU,UGA do you know what would happen? We'd get whoever the F*ck we wanted that's what! I don't want Foley fired BTW I just want him to do his F*cking job and fix the $hit that's broken but I guess you can't understand that.

You mad bro? :lol:

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Here's another point for Trex and the rest of the firing squad to ponder...
When did we adopt the "this is Florida" mentality? We sure AF didn't have it in the 70s and 80s. Maybe the best AD in the country, that has brought you 27 NCs and a standard of excellence gave you the spoiled rotten, bratty, entitled mentality. :scratchchin:

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
I really think the AD game has changed dramatically over these last ten years especially in football. It is an arms race. It's nice to be chess camps every year but football is king. Foley needs to pass the torch. We need some new blood and new perspective. When someone is in a job for that long it is only natural for them to lose that edge and become COMFORTABLE.

Why is this thinking so ridiculous to some?

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'll even admit Foley has been slow to adapt with the facilities, but to act like he hasn't basically built the entire athletic program to what it is today is ridiculous. Give credit where credit is 100% due.

playzwtrux

Founding Member
Wait,... what?
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n233536 said:
I don't know if this is serious or not, but I guess I'll just ask if there's a single on-campus, baseball-only stadium in Division 1 baseball that's indoors. They could cover the bleachers, but after that, you're not going to get a domed college baseball stadium. :lol:

I probably should have been clearer, just a roof over the sideline seats, 3rd to 1st would probably be good enough

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
MJMGator;n233398 said:
8 NCs before JF
27 NCs since he's been AD

Behind in football facilities, so let's kill him.
Agree. As long as we're winning that all sports but football trophy, we should be happy.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Well if we need better stuff Foley better get stirring among the large money donors to pony up. Now the swamp can't be expanded much more if any, and it seems we just upgraded it. Weight room should have the best of everything. Our dorms should be improved but I seem to remember that some can live in apts. off campus and if so that should not be an issue.

Softball is getting some attention and unless it costs way too much bball as well.

We don't get to have the best of everything because there is not room for new stuff.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Two things I don't buy.

a) Foley gets a lifetime pass for the 27 natties.
b) It's symptomatic of a spoiled rotten fan base that he's now getting criticized for the dropoff in football.

It's 2015 and it's the SEC and we ARE Florida. You're only as good as your last title. We have the second largest budget in the conference and a huge home-grown advantage in recruiting. There's no plausible reason for the down period in football we're experiencing beyond someone(s) screwed up. That/those someone(s) get(s) paid lots of money to get it right. Next.

My .02 cents. Fire away.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Captain Sasquatch;n233559 said:
I'll even admit Foley has been slow to adapt with the facilities, but to act like he hasn't basically built the entire athletic program to what it is today is ridiculous. Give credit where credit is 100% due.

He gets all the credit and he should. Hell, make a statue of the man. I'm all for it. He led this program to amazing heights and success. He built it. He did a damn great job. Arguably one of the best ADs in college history. The landscape has changed and is changing. He's getting up their in age and he seems out of touch with the realities of operating in 2015. He has BACKTRACKED after claiming "not getting in an arms race". Oops. That has cost us recruiting YEARS not just kids. No one is saying he sucks. We're just saying it's time to go in another direction. This isn't earth shattering. He wasn't going to be AD forever.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
VulcanAlex;n233572 said:
Well if we need better stuff Foley better get stirring among the large money donors to pony up. Now the swamp can't be expanded much more if any, and it seems we just upgraded it. Weight room should have the best of everything. Our dorms should be improved but I seem to remember that some can live in apts. off campus and if so that should not be an issue.

Softball is getting some attention and unless it costs way too much bball as well.

We don't get to have the best of everything because there is not room for new stuff.
Expand the Swamp? Hell it would be nice if we could even sell that out anymore

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
T REX;n233578 said:
He gets all the credit and he should. Hell, make a statue of the man. I'm all for it. He led this program to amazing heights and success. He built it. He did a damn great job. Arguably one of the best ADs in college history. The landscape has changed and is changing. He's getting up their in age and he seems out of touch with the realities of operating in 2015. He has BACKTRACKED after claiming "not getting in an arms race". Oops. That has cost us recruiting YEARS not just kids. No one is saying he sucks. We're just saying it's time to go in another direction. This isn't earth shattering. He wasn't going to be AD forever.
He's one of the best if not the best but his decisions in football which is THE revenue producer have been head scratching at best and downright awful at worst. I have no idea of what his vision is for the program but his 2 real hires have both been busts...with the last one being a bust of epic proportions. He has his philosophy of hiring young up and coming coaches and that has worked well everywhere but in football when he made the 2 hires with no head coaching experience. Hopefully this guy will be right and hopefully someone slaps the **** out of him and wakes him up that we do need to be leaders in the arms race.

MissouriGator

Aug 30, 2014
The facilities didn’t toss a suitcase full of 1000 dollar bills into a bonfire. One bad coach can set a program back a year or two. A bad coach, combined with bad recruiting, now we could be talking 3-4 years—assuming Mac can put it together.
​
Let’s face it, Foley screwed the pooch on this one. Zook was not a very good coach but at least he didn’t completely neglect the most crucial position in the toughest conference. Muschamp was a disaster—we all know that—and that is the reason for the state of UF football. It can and will be fixed; the brand is not ruined as some suggest. It’s just a matter of time.

There is absolutely no excuse for UF to be any less than a perennial 10 win team. In fact, 10 wins should feel like a disappointment. I can’t believe there are some here that would be content with 8 and 9 win seasons. Muschamp has traumatized you.

If Foley really is the greatest AD, he has right now to prove it.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Marianna said:

Simmer down, Francis. No need to blow a gasket.

How much credit do you want to give Saban and his staff for creating a winning program as being a draw for recruits? Above the ones that were coming for the waterfalls and 5ht? And were they building those facilities prior to Saban's arrival? I ask, because like us during our recent misery, they had bad coaching and bad teams and I'd imagine there weren't a lot of boosters or UAA type board approvals to invest in facilities when they needed to fix the coaching problems first and foremost. Which was it? Alabama had top classes despite piss poor coaching but due to great facilities prior to his arrival....or maybe Saban wasn't able to pull in those recruits until the facilities were upgraded? I'm not buying it. WIthout a winning coach putting players into the NFL, high potential (star) kids aren't going to go there - pretty facilities or not. WIthout a winning coach putting WINS on the schedule, funding isn't going to be available to improve the traning facility for those underperforming kids. Now, once the coach starts winning, then yes, funding rolls in and facilities improve and the program can sell a winning program with top notch facilities and the top ranked kids will come in droves - Alabama has proven that. Yes, they recruited ok prior to Saban and have excelled since he got there, but the increase in recruiting power is due to him and the program he built, not the facilities. The campus upgrades are one more thing to help you stay on top, but you have to earn your way to the top first with a winning program.

To your statement, I don't care if we have golden toilets and every player has a private dorm with his own harem - kids weren't coming here because our coach, and by extension our program, absolutely sucked.You want to hang that on Foley I won't argue. But to state that we would have the top classes if we had the facilities is false. To state that kids will come because we are Flordia...HA! All who say that make me point to the last few years and hold the mirror up to say "THAT is Florida. I wouldn't want to come here either." Now it's on JMac and Foley to change what it means when we say "We are Florida" and have it mean kids will want to be here.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
To '78 and T Rex, I mostly agree with your points. IMO, Foley gets the due credit for all the winning programs he's built, but there is a need to not get stale, to continue to be aggressive and smart like he was early on. Times change, the conference and the football industry have changed. Until JMac got here, it was fairly obvious Foley had not changed in regards to football. I'll continue to defend him and point out what he's done, but you are both correct in that it now matters what he does going forward more than what he's done to date.

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
Well Gee if somehow we hired Saban (not saying we could) and he did not get massive improvements in our facilities I bet we would have gotten better players, better coaching, and much more wins. Zook was not that bad of a disaster since he recruited pretty well and got fired on time. Champ was over his head from the beginning and should have been fired after Ga. Southern loss just like Zook. I blame him for buying the excuse of too many injuries (Ga Southern had more) and losing recruiting by changing coaches.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Bama doesn't get $12 million per year for their GatorAid cut ??

VulcanAlex

Founding Member
Senior Vulcan Cowboy
Jun 16, 2014
Founding Member
rogdochar;n233655 said:
Bama doesn't get $12 million per year for their GatorAid cut ??

I don't know for sure but I bet the football program or athletic department gets all or perhaps any from this. We get free stuff for using it just as others do. Perhaps others know where the money goes.

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'll just say one more thing and leave it at that. Be careful what you wish for, folks. Assuming that just anyone else will be an improvement over what we've had the past two decades is foolish.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.