Shocking: 34 year old Ed Aschoff passes away

gatorev12

Lifetime Member
Aug 17, 2018
Watching the Hawaii Bowl and saw this come across the crawl. Came straight here to confirm. So damn sad. Way too young.

Yea, they did a few tributes during and after the broadcast. You could tell he meant a lot to the ESPN family.

Heartbreaking loss...he will be missed.

Gator By Marriage

A convert to Gatorism
Lifetime Member
Dec 31, 2018
I always enjoyed reading his articles in the Sun and the later when he went to ESPN. Reading his stuff and seeing him on TV, I always got the impression he was a really decent guy. From reading the comments from his co-workers it sounds like he truly was. My heart goes out to his family and fiancé. He will very much be missed by many. Rest In Peace Gator; Rest In Peace.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Who would have thought what began as an upper respiratory infection would kill a vibrant young man in otherwise good health? Once bacteria begins to propagate, it’s game on regardless of age.

PastyStoole

Founding Member
Man, there's no boundary line to art. ~Bird Parker
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I had a great email exchange with Ed about 10 years ago. What a super nice guy. He was going to Argentina and I recommended some places to go and sent him the names of some people I knew there. Just a genuinely good guy and decent person. I'm so sad for anyone who knew him, this is just awful.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I had a great email exchange with Ed about 10 years ago. What a super nice guy. He was going to Argentina and I recommended some places to go and sent him the names of some people I knew there. Just a genuinely good guy and decent person. I'm so sad for anyone who knew him, this is just awful.
Not going to lie, I cringed when I saw that Stoole had posted.

NVAGATOR86

Lifetime Member
Nov 10, 2017
Very sad news. I enjoyed reading his articles and listening to him on ESPN and Finebaum. Very well prepared, and articulate. He was an outstanding representative of our school and Gator Nation. My condolences to his family. RIP.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member

Attachments

• IMG_0218.JPG
    IMG_0218.JPG
    71.5 KB · Views: 184
  • IMG_0219.JPG
    IMG_0219.JPG
    44.6 KB · Views: 160
  • IMG_0220.JPG
    IMG_0220.JPG
    69.7 KB · Views: 192
  • IMG_0221.JPG
    IMG_0221.JPG
    54.7 KB · Views: 193
Last edited:

Mornengswede

Lifetime Member
Dec 6, 2017
I followed his career since the Sun days. He was full of life and talent and radiated positivity. Seemingly loved by everyone. Just a tragic turn of events. I feel for his fiancée. Devastating, especially near Christmas and on his birthday.

gator1946

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I've lived more than twice as long as Ed did. I've had pneumonia before and made it with no problems. I'm looking for something fair about this. There is nothing fair. Life's not fair. RIP to a good guy.

T REX

Founding Member
Jun 24, 2014
Founding Member
Hug your loved ones today. Tomorrow is not promised.

RIP ED. Always enjoyed your read.

Shocking. Prayers for his family. Damn.

Jun 2, 2015
So very sad. He was definitely one of the best in his field. Pneumonia is nothing to be taken lightly regardless of age & physical condition. Men particularly seem to ignore symptoms, thinking it will go away.

I currently have "fluid on the right lung" which the doctor doubled my diuretics for 3 days and if it does not take care of it, he will do a thoracentesis tomorrow to remove the fluid before it turns into something worse.

Founding Member
Dazed and Confused
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I got a bad upper respiratory when I was 46. I’d been working like a fool and burning both ends. We had a vacation planned in Hilton Head. We went.

I was such an idiot. I set up a war room in the kitchen of our rental to handle business while I was on vacation. I’m doing nothing for the stress and the infection is getting to the point where I can’t sleep for all the coughing. It resonated when I read about Edward.

I was put on a bulldozer antibiotic and I was okay. We’ve probably all had instances in our life where we were closer to trouble than we realized.

CGgater

Gainesville Native
Lifetime Member
Jul 30, 2014
Did NOT see that coming! He did a great job as the Sun's recruiting guy and when he got the espn gig. He even kept it classy when Gator fans got a bit snippy as we were in the early downward spiral of our lost decade.

RIP, Ed!

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I got a bad upper respiratory when I was 46. I’d been working like a fool and burning both ends. We had a vacation planned in Hilton Head. We went.

I was such an idiot. I set up a war room in the kitchen of our rental to handle business while I was on vacation. I’m doing nothing for the stress and the infection is getting to the point where I can’t sleep for all the coughing. It resonated when I read about Edward.

I was put on a bulldozer antibiotic and I was okay. We’ve probably all had instances in our life where we were closer to trouble than we realized.
I wonder when he went back to the hospital, if at all.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Probably after it was too late.
I don't think we do a good enough job in general of teaching people what things should be a sign that someone is in extremis, whether in the ER when discharging patients or even in general ed classes, like health class in high school.

He said mentions thinks like having trouble walking. He should have been back at the ER right then, which was like three weeks ago. By the time he is having trouble walking, his body isn't compensating well, either to dehydration or extreme pulmonary consolidation from the pneumonia.

It no doubt didn't help that ERs in LA (and most urban areas) are disaster areas and he probably didn't feel well enough to go there and wait 19 hours for help.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb