Should I Update to Windows 10? The Free Update Ends July 29th

Should I Update To Windows 10

• Yes, It's Free Now.

Votes: 9 90.0%
  • No, I'm Happy with My Old Version For Now.

Votes: 1 10.0%
  • I Would Like A Technical Forum Where Gators Could Talk About Problems With Other Gators.

Votes: 4 40.0%

• Total voters

Captain Sasquatch

Founding Member
Mr. SQ, the Sashole
BANNED
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Windows 10 is light years better than 8, but I still wish I had 7 back. As far as the security crap is concerned, I highly doubt there's anything of consequence on my PC that would interest Microsoft or North Korea.

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
Blasphemy and slander... actually libel but slander sounds better.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Now...my Linux 7 is even better :grin:

What the hell is Linux 7? I'm running Ubuntu 16.04 on the machine in my hands right now. I've played with pretty much every version of Linux though.

Edit: Redhat I guess. I should have said I've run almost every FREE Linux distro.

Red Hat Linux 7 - Enterprise Workstation.
However - Ubuntu from what I hear is the more user friendly way to go.

I just started with Ubuntu and seem to end up back there. A forensics computer guy, high end guy at a company we'd all recognize, introduced me to it years ago. He convinced me it was far safer than Windows or Mac. I've never had a security issue since on the Linux machines.

And it's free. And I'm cheap.

I've also played with a few Puppy Linux versions. Kinda fun and can run damn near anything, even very OLD machines. If you are just cruising the net and occasionally making a doc here and there, it is he bomb.

I end up tinkering on machines some time when family members can't get them fixed or whatever. Sometimes I can unfvkk Windows, sometimes I can't, especially without a rescue disk that no one seems to burn these days. Ubuntu is a cheap and easy fix for those.

That's the cool thing about Linux - there are a massive number of distros out there.
Many of the Fed agencies I talk to now are all about containers (Docker) and moving away from VMware virtual machines (not completely though).

Alpine Linux (used now by Docker as their base image for their containers) is supposed to be a small footprint version - something like 5MB?
"Alpine Linux is a security-oriented, lightweight Linux distribution based on musl libc and busy box." The latest version of Alpine Linux v3.3 weighs in at a whopping 5MB. Not bad for a full blown Linux OS considering 5MB is same size as the Windows Start button."

Versus around 188MB uncompressed tarball - 59MB compressed of Ubuntu - which Docker used to use.

https://www.brianchristner.io/docker-is-moving-to-alpine-linux/

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
So, you admit I didn't start it, huh?

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm having trouble with this update failing...

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I'm having trouble with this update failing...

Upgrade to Windows 10 Home, version 1511, 10586
According to MS I need to doẃnload the ISO so I'm in the process of doing that now. I will let you know if that works later.

LagoonGator68

Founding Member
mostly peaceful protester
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
According to MS I need to doẃnload the ISO so I'm in the process of doing that now. I will let you know if that works later.

How did you find that out and what is the ISO and why didn't you have it before?

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
How did you find that out and what is the ISO and why didn't you have it before?
Google is my friend.:) I googled the error message after viewing the update history and that message kept showing up. Microsoft said that I needed to dowñload the latest Win 10 ISO and I chose to go the usb pen drive instead of burning a dvd. It said thät I needed at least 3 gig pen drive.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Windows 10 is light years better than 8, but I still wish I had 7 back. As far as the security crap is concerned, I highly doubt there's anything of consequence on my PC that would interest Microsoft or North Korea.
You're half right. You don't have anything of interest to North Korea.

Bernardo de la Paz

Founding Member
Florida Victorious Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
What pisses me off about the whole upgrade scam is that it's unnecessary. At this point computers are nothing more than appliances. I don't need them to change the interface on my toaster or light switch every few years, why my computer. It happens with every piece of software and website. They change it just for the sake of changing it. It's like going to use a hammer for the first time in 6 months and they've moved the claw to one end and the face to the other and stuck a pean in the middle. So instead of just hammering the damn nail I have to learn how to use a new hammer. Make it lighter, stronger but don't change how I use the thing.

And it's a nightmare of you own a business. Not to mention the cost of upgrading everyone's OS and sometimes PC's. But the cost of the applications that we use. Plus employee's tend to know enough about how to use a computer to do their job. Keeping everybody on the same versions of applications is important. Every time there's a new release of something there's a learning curve to do the same damn job. How many times have you run up against "well I know how to do it in Windows X but I can't find it in Windows Y". Microsoft Office is the same is issue. Is it really necessary to change the form, fit and function of my email client?

There has nothing that's been improved with the Windows GUI since Windows 95.
Your computer isn't like a toaster. You continue to buy different software, increase your internet bandwidth, and add new peripherals. The OS has to adapt to those changes along with fixing bugs and addressing vulnerabilities. They also need to update the interface to keep up with changing user preferences. And they can't afford to keep doing all of the patches and updates to every version of OS they've ever released.

If the old one works for you, don't update.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Your computer isn't like a toaster. You continue to buy different software, increase your internet bandwidth, and add new peripherals. The OS has to adapt to those changes along with fixing bugs and addressing vulnerabilities. They also need to update the interface to keep up with changing user preferences. And they can't afford to keep doing all of the patches and updates to every version of OS they've ever released.

If the old one works for you, don't update.
How do I find Win 95B drivers for my new HP All-in-one printer?

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I updated to Win 10 okay originally but it's not updating to the latest Windows build. I did the update online but then I downloaded the latest build ISO.

grengadgy

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Yeah; back up that data and do a clean install from the ISO....
If you are talking to me, that was my next step but I resolved my problem this morning by turning my internet off and uninstalling my virus protection. Then it installed with no problem.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.