Should I Update to Windows 10? The Free Update Ends July 29th

Discussion in 'Home, Auto, Hobby and Computer Tech' started by grengadgy, Jun 26, 2016.

?

Should I Update To Windows 10

1. Yes, It's Free Now.

90.0%
  2. No, I'm Happy with My Old Version For Now.

10.0%
  3. I Would Like A Technical Forum Where Gators Could Talk About Problems With Other Gators.

40.0%
Multiple votes are allowed.
  1. Durty South Swamp

Durty South Swamp doodley doodley doo!
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $12,591
    Ratings:
    +24,485 / -467
    That's pretty damn accurate. Xp and 7 were by far the best OS I ever used.

• grengadgy

grengadgy Well-Known Member
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $430
      Ratings:
      +2,548 / -191
      a9e1cb.jpg

• L-boy

L-boy Senior Member
      BANNED

Oxbucks:
      $46
      Ratings:
      +1,461 / -169
      I did update my laptop that had 8.1. Not difficult, just took a while to download and update. My wife was kind of pissed while on vacation she wanted to do some work on it but had to wait until the next day for the update to process. As far as I know once it finished it was fine. I don't use this laptop a lot.

I have screwed around with my daughter's laptop that has 10, and not really a big fan of it. I'm sure once I learned it it would be fine. I just find Win 7 pretty familiar. I'll be lucky if I get another year or two out of these PC's, so I'm not worried about losing support down the road.

• Swamp Donkey

Swamp Donkey That's the sound your mother made last night
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $63,603
        Ratings:
        +95,522 / -6,506
        The key is not to compare 7 to 10. You really have no option to remain with 7. They are going to stop supporting it to force everyone to pay for 10.

Win 10 is a clear improvement over 8.1, that is no doubt. At least the damn windows button is back and we aren't forced to pretend we all have touchscreens.

• L-boy

L-boy Senior Member
        BANNED

Oxbucks:
        $46
        Ratings:
        +1,461 / -169
        Windows 7 will be supported until about 2020 or so. The PC's I have are 4 and 5 years old. No way will I be using them another 4 years.

• Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $63,603
        Ratings:
        +95,522 / -6,506
        Well, I don't know. They have a lot of leeway in what ends when they ended "mainstream support" of Win 7. At the minimum it means some updated accessories won't work with new file types, new video and game formats and the like. That's unacceptable for many if not most.

Sure, they claim to fix "security threats" for another few years, but their efforts with their outdated products like Vista and XP in recent years have been terrible. Vista was like bareback riding a junky whore in south Detroit for several years before Microsoft finally admitted they were no longer doing even security fixes.

Again, my needs may be different than yours. I just cruise and word process on my home computer. If it weren't for the kids needing a machine for gaming--which a horribly outdated windows machine won't do anyway-- I might not own an Microsoft product at all.

• L-boy

L-boy Senior Member
        BANNED

Oxbucks:
        $46
        Ratings:
        +1,461 / -169
        http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2475079,00.asp

Security updates go until 2020. For these home PC's I really use it just for browsing, Quicken, and basic Microsoft office applications. Win 7 will be fine for now. Like I said, I did update my Win 8.1 laptop which is somewhat newer.

I suspect they will support at some level Win 7 for a while. It is the standard for most corporate applications. They had a hell of a time getting companies off of XP a few years ago.

• Swamp Donkey

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $63,603
        Ratings:
        +95,522 / -6,506
        Yeah, I know they claim security updates continued, just like they did with Vista and XP. However, you'd be a fool to run either within the last few years of their life.

BTW, I'm a big Win 7 fan and we use it at work. However, this one feels different. MS is desperate to get people into 10.