Should Kadarius Toney Start?

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I hope he turns into a star. Im pulling for him big time.
I am too. You guys were pissed at me last year when I said he was the only.potential future starter, and that KT would never see the field.

I wish he were running those w receivers and not on air, but maybe he was just showing off there. When I was at UF I used to see Wuerffel, Kresser and all the receivers running routes for hours on end. Id often see them both morning and night.

The form isn't impossible to overcome at least in college. Tebow had a long windup too. However, guys like Grossman and Grier who have that compact throwing motion and quick release have more results especially w short and medium passimg game.

Im just not convinced Franks is close to ready. And yet Im not sure we have a better option. I am sure that, as Butters said, Zaire didnt come to hold a clipboard however.

Last edited:

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I posted a thread a while back that broke down every pass franks threw during the spring game. It appeared that the coaches have been working on cleaning up that throwing motion.

Franks arm went down during the windup on 5 of 14 passes. By my count, when his arm went down he was 2 of 5 for 45 yards (40% completion rate). When he kept his arm up he was 6 of 9 for 74 yards and a TD (67% completion rate). That is a significant difference in accuracy.

http://www.gatorchatter.com/threads/franks-spring-game-video.14655/

Were the type of passes similar however? I wish he could stop doing that like people say because it makes the chance for a turnover go up when you are getting pressure and from the DBs getting that extra split second to make a break on the ball. A few QBs can get away with form like that but I am not sure Franks is one of them.

Concrete Helmet

Hook, Line, and Sinker
Lifetime Member
Jul 29, 2014
I hope he turns into a star. Im pulling for him big time.
I'm thinking he is at this point our only true legitimate option for this season.....That's not to say that Zaire or perhaps even Toney can't or won't play because Franks has a long way to go, however I see the other guys as being more of a patchwork type of guys at least in this/Mac's offense. I like Toney's energy an perhaps if the offense were different he would be a more viable option.

Regarding the throwing motion as others have said you can still get away with it in college just not as much as in HS....Hopefully the coaches have him throwing more to the wide side of the field the way SOS used to do. I will probably cringe a lot if Franks starts throwing into tight spaces early in the season. We could also help him out by recruiting/developing a prototypical los TE as a big short yardage target on 3rd downs....We'll just have to wait and see.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Until fall practice occurs and Franks just kills it, I fully expect Zaire to start game 1. While he won't know the playbook 100%, and frankly I don't think any of our QB's do anyway, I believe he'll pick up enough to be effective, to what level is another discussion. Toney is a guy that will absolutely get on the field, though to what capacity will be dictated by fall practices...they guy just has too much skill running the ball to be left on the bench. Hopefully he willingly takes on a slot receiver role with the chance have a few sneak plays as a QB through the season. Franks will get time through the season though, and I honestly have no problem easing him into the role throughout the season, unless he is just the clear cut winner in the fall.

I think we are going to learn a lot from the fall practices, and hopefully we start heading in a better direction. 8-4 ain't gonna cut it this season and will almost certainly keep us out of ATL.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Until fall practice occurs and Franks just kills it, I fully expect Zaire to start game 1. While he won't know the playbook 100%, and frankly I don't think any of our QB's do anyway, I believe he'll pick up enough to be effective, to what level is another discussion. Toney is a guy that will absolutely get on the field, though to what capacity will be dictated by fall practices...they guy just has too much skill running the ball to be left on the bench. Hopefully he willingly takes on a slot receiver role with the chance have a few sneak plays as a QB through the season. Franks will get time through the season though, and I honestly have no problem easing him into the role throughout the season, unless he is just the clear cut winner in the fall.

I think we are going to learn a lot from the fall practices, and hopefully we start heading in a better direction. 8-4 ain't gonna cut it this season and will almost certainly keep us out of ATL.

My issue with talking about Toney at slot is that we have Powell and Massey at slot. I think Massey may be the biggest jolt to our offense.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
My issue with talking about Toney at slot is that we have Powell and Massey at slot. I think Massey may be the biggest jolt to our offense.
why would you have an issue with having multiple slots :rimshot: :grin:

I agree, and was about to edit my post to talk about how much he could play as it's becoming a crowded area (not a bad thing btw). At least it creates nice change ups on the inside from either using them or TE's, though I suppose who we are playing will dictate who and how we use them. What I don't want to see is Toney back there only running wildcat type plays. If he is going to have plays where he takes the snap, I have no problem with him running, but don't be afraid to let him throw every once and a while. I just think he has a better chance for minutes at the slot than at QB.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
why would you have an issue with having multiple slots :rimshot: :grin:

I agree, and was about to edit my post to talk about how much he could play as it's becoming a crowded area (not a bad thing btw). At least it creates nice change ups on the inside from either using them or TE's, though I suppose who we are playing will dictate who and how we use them. What I don't want to see is Toney back there only running wildcat type plays. If he is going to have plays where he takes the snap, I have no problem with him running, but don't be afraid to let him throw every once and a while. I just think he has a better chance for minutes at the slot than at QB.

Yep. Let him play QB. Or let him play WR. No wildcat bs

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
Yes, what we need from Franks is a QB guru = ongoing skull-sessions from Spurrier. Every GatChat analyst is right-on. Franks needs 1) a lively, snap arm combined with 2) flashbulb reciever-spotting vision all with an instantaneous decisive QB-mind (a Brady-brain). An effective QB coach (like Rex Grossman-type) ought to be able to drive that into the "soul" of a Gator-game QB wanting to journey toward perfection like Ryan, Brady, Drew Brees ... towards their styled success.

>>>>>> The rest goes beyond "sports-gab" & hits my honest wish to "add to" the living of my GatChat friends & their loved-ones herein. >>>>>>>

There is a scientifically proven computer software brain expanding/focussing "task-challenges" painstakingly designed to train the brain's visual center to instantly "see-recognize" targets better-quicker. It's effectiveness (brain-growth = new neurons growing, networking (new synapes with increased production-supply of required neurochemicals). It's legit.

Please, please if you have kids still under your charge, sign them up. They will become smarter and quicker to learn with ease (= self-pride, self-confidence). It is only $14/month or $96/year ($8/month). A "scientific-coach" will "e-mail-talk" with his student and tailor the exercises to the scientific-base status of your child's brain(development)level. It's proven by over 30 years of research by the World's top Neuroscientists (research still ongoing, of course).

Go to BrainHQ.com; read on it, take sample exercises, e-mail talk to a Neurology coach. Their purpose is to create better brains out there -- not really a big $-profit group.The study-organization was "invented" by the neuroscientist (Dr. Merzenich) who invented the Cochlear Implant = hardware that translates external physical vibrations that the brain's "hearing center" via its own self-teaching biofeedback interprets those unheard-of vibrations to be "hearing". This occurs through brain plasticity, the always present bio-ability of the brain to grow new neurons, neuronal fibers, new synapses with all the required nerochemicals for expanded workings.

Now to the Franks and all QB point = BrainHQ has a program to organically (grow new neuronal networks) to advance visual focussed attention. This ability allows your brain's visual center to 'standoutingly' recognize what's needed plus to ignore what's not helpful. All these exercise-training, brain-training requires just 30 to 60 minutes per day and they are easy non-cluttered, non-stressful video-games.

Last edited:

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I fully expect Zaire to be the starter in the Michigan game. Malik doesn't need to fully master the playbook to be effective if he just executes. But, I have a feeling Zaire will grasp the playbook far quicker than we expect. Mac said he got accepted into graduate school at Harvard. That obviously speaks to the kid's intelligence level.

Anybody who has watched us play since Mac has taken over knows that we often run the same play out of multiple formations. Often times, you'll see the offense shift formations once or even twice pre-snap, usually with the intention of making the defense tip their hand. That's no secret. Consequently, our QB just needs to recognize the defensive look, set the protections, and have the awareness to take advantage of the mismatch and/or hit the open guy.

That's been easier said than done around here recently, but whoever our QB is has all the pieces around him to be successful this year. If we can avoid serious injuries at the position, we have the chance to be very good.

Gator Fever

Founding Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I fully expect Zaire to be the starter in the Michigan game. Malik doesn't need to fully master the playbook to be effective if he just executes. But, I have a feeling Zaire will grasp the playbook far quicker than we expect. Mac said he got accepted into graduate school at Harvard. That obviously speaks to the kid's intelligence level.

Anybody who has watched us play since Mac has taken over knows that we often run the same play out of multiple formations. Often times, you'll see the offense shift formations once or even twice pre-snap, usually with the intention of making the defense tip their hand. That's no secret. Consequently, our QB just needs to recognize the defensive look, set the protections, and have the awareness to take advantage of the mismatch and/or hit the open guy.

That's been easier said than done around here recently, but whoever our QB is has all the pieces around him to be successful this year. If we can avoid serious injuries at the position, we have the chance to be very good.

I think the mobility will help a ton also with how much Michigan blitzes.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
If Zaire starts then we have fully gone to a RPO offense. Meaning that we are tailoring the offense to Zaire more than Zaire needs to tailor himself to our offense. Hopefully Mac/Nuss have been going this way since last year when Massey was supposed to be a big part of the offense. It remains to be seen if Nuss can be effective with it or with anything for that matter. The important thing is that we be successful running it and hopefully well enough to get Fields on board. It may be our only chance for success in the near future.

Alagator

Founding Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Since we're on monumental questions =
"If a man offers an opinion alone in a forest with no woman around to hear it, is he still wrong?"
Yes... As long as there is a woman somewhere on the planet... the answer is YES...

Swamp Donkey

Founding Member
7-14 vs P5 Fire Stricklin First
Lifetime Member
Jun 9, 2014
Founding Member
I know we are supposed to remember that one game two years ago, but Powell has been totally ineffective in the slot. He has done zero.

I don't even like smurfs in the slot. It makes no sense because you are generally getting that nickelbacker (often a safety), light linebacker or strong safety on them. They always seem to develop alligator arms. I like the BIG but perhaps too slow receivers in that position or a flexed TE.

Massey? He last played in community college and we literally know nothing about him. Putu and Mark Thompson excelled in community college but that is against community college players.

That being said, given our lack of talent at QB, I don't want him to move until it is proven he can't do it. Regardless of what all the nuthingburgers working for various gator outlets say, people who have made being wrong a career (Driskel for Heisman anyone? LDR is better?), he was a very accurate QB in HS... and that sure beats being so so.

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I know we are supposed to remember that one game two years ago, but Powell has been totally ineffective in the slot. He has done zero.

I don't even like smurfs in the slot. It makes no sense because you are generally getting that nickelbacker (often a safety), light linebacker or strong safety on them. They always seem to develop alligator arms. I like the BIG but perhaps too slow receivers in that position or a flexed TE.

Massey? He last played in community college and we literally know nothing about him. Putu and Mark Thompson excelled in community college but that is against community college players.

That being said, given our lack of talent at QB, I don't want him to move until it is proven he can't do it. Regardless of what all the nuthingburgers working for various gator outlets say, people who have made being wrong a career (Driskel for Heisman anyone? LDR is better?), he was a very accurate QB in HS... and that sure beats being so so.

My point is that nobody has taken the QB position. So I think he has an open shot at that.

I don't think he'll take the slot from either Massey or Powell.

But to your point, he needs to get on the field and either position should work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.