Gator Basketball Should White hire assistant with HC experience?

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
I did not see a thread on May being hired by FAU and UF having an opening for a basketball assistant. Brockway already has an article up on who UF might hire. Here is an excerpt:

Brockway said:
Florida coach Mike White is facing one of the first big decisions of his three-year UF head coaching tenure.

White has led UF to two straight NCAA Tournament appearances, including an Elite Eight Appearance in 2017, with a coaching staff that’s remained in tact. On Thursday, that continuity took a blow when lead assistant Dusty May was hired for his first head coaching job at Florida Atlantic.

Click below for the entire article:

http://www.gatorsports.com/2018/03/should-white-hire-assistant-with-hc-experience/

heversle

Founding Member
Baba Booey Tata Toothy
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
No.

Should you hire someone with thread topic experience? :giggity:

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
If a high enough salary is allowed then worth the chance that Joakim Noah is fed up with the pros. Hire him to teach and recruit "big guys". Noah was such a fast learner & such a "floor leader", I bet he excels at it. We'll have the best "recruit-draw" at the center position. A coach who can "play" our players into competitive shape. UF has never had that. Yes, I'm dreaming. But to think White can move UF to appropriate heights without such a dream-coach is worse dreaming. FWIW ?

Jbossgator8

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Noah would be good but he would bring the "pot factor" to the team though cause we know he likes to light up.

MertzJay26

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 18, 2014
Founding Member
Just hire a coach that can teach our big men some post moves. That’s all I want.

rogdochar

Founding Member
RIP
Lifetime Member
Jun 14, 2014
Founding Member
You mean like layups and dunks that actually make it through the hoop?

... yeah, guys that make the opponent feel their weight ... get bumped & hold steady, squared up.

MidwestChomp

Fun was the goal and we hit the bullseye
Lifetime Member
Sep 15, 2014
I would think the guys on the list would get head coach jobs at smaller schools. I don't think Noah is ready for a coach job...maybe David Lee. But I might go for Reggie Theus.

Okeechobee Joe

Lost Ball in High Grass
Lifetime Member
Oct 5, 2014
I don't think White needs to hire someone with prior head coaching experience. He needs to hire assistants who can recruit and develop players. White has been a head coach long enough now that he should know how to make the tough decisions in critical points in games. In those cases he might listen to input from his assistants, but if he has to have somebody on his staff to make those calls for him then we don't need a new assistant with prior head coaching experience, we need a new head coach period.

I like White a lot as a person and I hope he finds great success.

InstiGATOR1

Lifetime Member
Mar 27, 2016
Shyatt seemed to help make UF a better defensive team and maybe tougher. UF is pretty good defensively now though UF had a couple of issues this year. The toughness factor might be a reason to hire an experienced head man.

That said head coaching experience is less important to me than experience coaching big men.

Double Gator Dad

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Hiring a former head coach makes a lot of sense but only if it is the right guy and I am not sure we know enough about some of the guys on Brockway's list to really know.

Rob Evans seems a bit old for the open role, as is Tubby Smith, and I doubt you will find many Gator fans that want Kevin Stallings anywhere near our program, I know I would scream if that a$$hat was hired.

With that said, there is no denying the impact that Larry Shyatt had on Billy's program so the idea has some merit.
Although I agree that recruiting is critical, at this point in the progression of White's tenure, I believe player development trumps recruiting. If you develop players, the word will get around and the recruits will come.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.