Show recommendation thread

Slevin

Law’s Alter-Ego
BANNED
Aug 12, 2014
I started to watch unbelievable, all the rape footage creeped me out..couldn't finish 1st episode. I just rewatched last 2 episodes of breaking bad. I'm gonna watch the follow movie " el camino" in the next couple days
It kinda stops there though. My wife is the same way. Can’t watch anything with rape in it and she saw the whole season just fine.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Checked out some of the new shows this year and this is what we have tried so far.

Carol's Second Act - Stars Patricia Heaton (Everybody Loves Raymond & The Middle) as a women who after her divorce becomes a doctor at middle age. This show is bad. Don't see it making it a full season.

Stumptown - Stars Cobie Smulders (How I Met Your Mother & Marvel Movies) as a PI war veteran. So far so good and a good mix of drama and comedy. A cast full of faces you know and will probably make it through the year and into the next. Worth checking out.

The Unicorn - Stars Walter Goggins (The Shield and tons of stuff) as a man who is a widower. A year after his wife's death his daughters and friends convince him to start dating again, but for a man who hasn't dated in over 20 years will he survive in this new dating world. I find this funnier than my wife does and I think is a pretty good show.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Finished Season 1 of Cobra Kai. Set years after the first movie and Johnny is down on his luck trying to find meaning in life. Daniel is super rich now and a bit of a prick and they cross paths. Johnny helps a kid in his apartment complex that is being bullied and Cobra Kai is reborn. It's not that bad of a show. Johnny is the star and you root for him, but they constantly try to make him back into the bad guy. Daniel is now a prick and keeps trying to stop him from bring it back, but it explores how much that bullying in his past affected him. The young cast is good and almost a flip of what would have happened if Johnny had Miagi an Daniel had Cobra Kai. The good thing they do is who how each person struggles with good and bad in the feud.

What I liked most. Johnny is an unapologetic teacher in the land of snowflakes kids are today and still struggles to show sympathy for the kids while also at time falling back into the things that made him what he was.

What I disliked. Aside from Daniel being a prick is the whole focus on exploiting an injury being bad. That is the way it is in any sport and I don't know why they constantly make that person the villain for using it to their advantage. That's like us being mad that other QB's pick on our safeties.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
After going through a GOT hangover we’ve jumped on Yellowstone...so far the wife and I are hooked and got through a season and a half so far in like a week...awesome show

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Binged the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel with the wife over the holidays. Really enjoyed it and the comedy is quick witted.

The Witcher (Netflix) - Enjoyed this even if it took me a while to figure out what the hell was going on with all the flashbacks that they don't tell you is a flashback. Also had to turn the subtitles on due to thick British ascents and people talking in low grumbling voices the whole time. Season 1 left you on a cliffhanger right as things get good so we have to wait a year to see what happens.

Gatorbreath

Founding Member
The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I mentioned this in the movie thread, but I just finished the first (and only so far) season of Messiah (Netflix). It was very good.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Binged the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel with the wife over the holidays. Really enjoyed it and the comedy is quick witted.

The Witcher (Netflix) - Enjoyed this even if it took me a while to figure out what the hell was going on with all the flashbacks that they don't tell you is a flashback. Also had to turn the subtitles on due to thick British ascents and people talking in low grumbling voices the whole time. Season 1 left you on a cliffhanger right as things get good so we have to wait a year to see what happens.

I had lunch with some customers today who really raved about The Witcher. Said it was based upon a book/game and that you have to pay attention to the flashbacks. They mentioned Henry Cavill is very good in his role.
Also - there are boobs.

Gatorbait25

Founding Member
H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
We finished Unbelievable on Netflix a few weeks ago. Phenomenal. About a serial rapist akin to maybe the golden state killer? Although this guy didn’t kill any of his victims. Really good mystery show with great acting and cast.

Also the Righteous Gemstones on hbo is hilarious and a must watch.

I thought Unbelievable was pretty good. It probably could've been a little shorter.
Some of the middle episodes don't seem to really advance the story. I think it would've
been better as a film than a series, but solid work nonetheless.

JDW

Lifetime Member
Jul 18, 2018
Bull is a great show all the characters are relatable and in sync...great storyline and the shows don’t carry over too much

And I agree with the synopsis on The Unicorn

GatorJ

Founding Member
Hopeful
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just watched the 1st season of Episodes.

Pretty funny.

Ninjax

Nov 21, 2017
Not sure if previously mentioned;

Don't F*ck with Cats

On Netflix, mini documentary. If you are into serial killers and such, I enjoyed this one. Only three episodes, 4 out of 5 stars.

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
I'm watching godfather of Harlem on epix. 2 episodes in really good. Great cast including Forrest Whittaker and Anthony denoferio

Last edited:

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I mentioned this in the movie thread, but I just finished the first (and only so far) season of Messiah (Netflix). It was very good.
I agree, good show. Just when you think maybe you know the deal, something happens to make you change your mind.

GR8 2B

A Florida Gator
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2016
Been watching The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime. The premise and imagery - what America and the world would be like if Germany and Japan had won WWII - is mind-blowing. It's based on a novel published in 1962, the same year in which the story takes place. Great writing, casting, acting, and directing.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Just watched Don’t **** with cats documentary...what a wild story. Just 3 1 hour episodes...was really interesting

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Wife and I just watched, since the new year: The Sinner (2 seasons, the third is airing on TV now). Good show, solid, entertaining, dark.

Also, we're finishing up season 2 of You. Really, really good. The guy is like a Dexter, but more sexual/stalker/creepy. Dark, but comical...and creepy as hell!

Been watching The Man in the High Castle on Amazon Prime. The premise and imagery - what America and the world would be like if Germany and Japan had won WWII - is mind-blowing. It's based on a novel published in 1962, the same year in which the story takes place. Great writing, casting, acting, and directing.

I liked the show, but the SciFi aspect of it was stupid/unnecessary. It's a great concept though, could be done w/ a lot of wars (The War of 1812 would be a good one to do w/ this concept).

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Anyone watch Holy Gemstones (HBO) started it feels uneven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb