Show recommendation thread

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Slevin, Jan 10, 2019.

1. Slevin

Slevin Law’s Alter-Ego
    Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
    $11,775
    Ratings:
    +15,539 / -369
    It kinda stops there though. My wife is the same way. Can’t watch anything with rape in it and she saw the whole season just fine.

• Slevin

Slevin Law’s Alter-Ego
      Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
      $11,775
      Ratings:
      +15,539 / -369
      We just started watching Mr Mercedes if you can find it. It’s on our att tv (direct tv app) good stuff.

Mr. Mercedes

• gingerlover

gingerlover Junior Member
        Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $1,419
        Ratings:
        +2,430 / -15
        Checked out some of the new shows this year and this is what we have tried so far.

Carol's Second Act - Stars Patricia Heaton (Everybody Loves Raymond & The Middle) as a women who after her divorce becomes a doctor at middle age. This show is bad. Don't see it making it a full season.

Stumptown - Stars Cobie Smulders (How I Met Your Mother & Marvel Movies) as a PI war veteran. So far so good and a good mix of drama and comedy. A cast full of faces you know and will probably make it through the year and into the next. Worth checking out.

The Unicorn - Stars Walter Goggins (The Shield and tons of stuff) as a man who is a widower. A year after his wife's death his daughters and friends convince him to start dating again, but for a man who hasn't dated in over 20 years will he survive in this new dating world. I find this funnier than my wife does and I think is a pretty good show.

• gingerlover

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
        $1,419
        Ratings:
        +2,430 / -15
        Finished Season 1 of Cobra Kai. Set years after the first movie and Johnny is down on his luck trying to find meaning in life. Daniel is super rich now and a bit of a prick and they cross paths. Johnny helps a kid in his apartment complex that is being bullied and Cobra Kai is reborn. It's not that bad of a show. Johnny is the star and you root for him, but they constantly try to make him back into the bad guy. Daniel is now a prick and keeps trying to stop him from bring it back, but it explores how much that bullying in his past affected him. The young cast is good and almost a flip of what would have happened if Johnny had Miagi an Daniel had Cobra Kai. The good thing they do is who how each person struggles with good and bad in the feud.

What I liked most. Johnny is an unapologetic teacher in the land of snowflakes kids are today and still struggles to show sympathy for the kids while also at time falling back into the things that made him what he was.

What I disliked. Aside from Daniel being a prick is the whole focus on exploiting an injury being bad. That is the way it is in any sport and I don't know why they constantly make that person the villain for using it to their advantage. That's like us being mad that other QB's pick on our safeties.

• -THE DUDE-

-THE DUDE- This is the year!!!

Oxbucks:
        $3,337
        Ratings:
        +5,900 / -75
        Mandalorian is very solid so far. Big perk to having ordered Disney plus for the kids

• -THE DUDE-

-THE DUDE- This is the year!!!

Oxbucks:
          $3,337
          Ratings:
          +5,900 / -75
          After going through a GOT hangover we’ve jumped on Yellowstone...so far the wife and I are hooked and got through a season and a half so far in like a week...awesome show

• gingerlover

Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $1,419
          Ratings:
          +2,430 / -15
          Binged the Marvelous Mrs. Maisel with the wife over the holidays. Really enjoyed it and the comedy is quick witted.

The Witcher (Netflix) - Enjoyed this even if it took me a while to figure out what the hell was going on with all the flashbacks that they don't tell you is a flashback. Also had to turn the subtitles on due to thick British ascents and people talking in low grumbling voices the whole time. Season 1 left you on a cliffhanger right as things get good so we have to wait a year to see what happens.

• Gatorbreath

Gatorbreath The original "Breath" of the GCMB.
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $333
          Ratings:
          +890 / -28
          I mentioned this in the movie thread, but I just finished the first (and only so far) season of Messiah (Netflix). It was very good.

• Gatordiddy

Gatordiddy Well-Known Member
          Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
          $4,544
          Ratings:
          +6,818 / -44
          I had lunch with some customers today who really raved about The Witcher. Said it was based upon a book/game and that you have to pay attention to the flashbacks. They mentioned Henry Cavill is very good in his role.
          Also - there are boobs.

• Gatorbait25

Gatorbait25 H.E. Pennypacker, wealthy American industrialist

Oxbucks:
            $2,005
            Ratings:
            +1,584 / -40
            I thought Unbelievable was pretty good. It probably could've been a little shorter.
            Some of the middle episodes don't seem to really advance the story. I think it would've
            been better as a film than a series, but solid work nonetheless.

• JDW

JDW Well-Known Member
            Lifetime Member

Oxbucks:
            $3,256
            Ratings:
            +3,328 / -165
            Bull is a great show all the characters are relatable and in sync...great storyline and the shows don’t carry over too much

And I agree with the synopsis on The Unicorn

• GatorJ

GatorJ Hopeful

Oxbucks:
            $7,275
            Ratings:
            +15,413 / -201
            Just watched the 1st season of Episodes.

Pretty funny.

• Ninjax

Ninjax Member

Oxbucks:
            $83
            Ratings:
            +78 / -8
            Not sure if previously mentioned;

Don't F*ck with Cats

On Netflix, mini documentary. If you are into serial killers and such, I enjoyed this one. Only three episodes, 4 out of 5 stars.