Show recommendation thread

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Netflix docuseries - the toys that made us. Really interesting and very nostalgic if you're a gen Xer

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Enjoying “Mare of Eastown” on HBO. Gritty crime drama, Kate Winslett is superb.

Just finished that up last week…wifey and I loved it.

Ted Lasso was next and that was great.

Mosquito coast is next but only 1 show in so far and not sure if I’m ready to recommend just yet

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I've got a couple more episodes of Startup to go. This is a HIGH recommend! Good stuff, very interesting w/ the crypto and crime networks.

Swampy!

Aug 3, 2018
Haven't seen it mentioned yet but the wife and I started Manifest on Netflix last night. Short story it's a series about a passenger airliner that leaves Jamaica headed for NYC. They experience a brief bit of turbulence but get through it pretty quickly. When they land in NYC, the pilot and passengers learn that they have been missing for 5 and a half years and everyone on the plane was presumed to have been dead. Got through 2 episodes last night but are really into it at this point.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Haven't seen it mentioned yet but the wife and I started Manifest on Netflix last night. Short story it's a series about a passenger airliner that leaves Jamaica headed for NYC. They experience a brief bit of turbulence but get through it pretty quickly. When they land in NYC, the pilot and passengers learn that they have been missing for 5 and a half years and everyone on the plane was presumed to have been dead. Got through 2 episodes last night but are really into it at this point.

I'm gonna give this a shot. It's got two seasons...it'll be my treadmill show.

I just finished Flight Attendant (on Showtime). Only 1 season, mini-series. It was okay, another treadmill show.

Wife and I are watching Brotherhood, 3 seasons, also on Showtime. It's older, like 15 years old. About a Rhode Island politician, who is honest....and his crooked, organized crime brother. We're about 4 episodes in, pretty good so far.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member

I read the summary of this a few days ago and seemed interesting…gonna have to give it a try

Edit: watched the first two episodes last night and very intriguing so far. Good rec

Last edited:

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
I tried manifest a few weeks ago. Boring. Quit a few eps in. Something about the main chick just rubbed me the wrong way.

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
Watched 2 seasons of Dirty John which was really good. Crazy that they're all based on true events.

Also started watching Longmire and am enjoying it so far.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Loki (2021): The wife and I finished this yesterday. I'll start off by saying this is the show that the MCU announced back in 2019/2020 that I was looking forward to the most. There were so many ways this could have gone and been excellent and many that could have gone and been a completely schit show. But instead of swinging for fences, it was just a solid double. Parts of it were really good, parts were really boring. I like Todd Hiddleson as Loki, the wife loves him in the role (she prefers villains overall). The cast is a range from really good to Owen Wilson. The story when it finally wraps up could have been fcking great, but left too much potential out there. This is another series that was put out in the wrong order due to the Covid. On disney+'s timeline it falls before both WandaVision and Falcon Wintersoldier.

The show starts off where Loki gets the cosmic cube/teserac in End Game and teleports. He arrives in ancient China causing a new branch in the timeline and the TVA come to stop him. They capture him and destroy the variant timeline. Then we get to the meat of the program where he is helping the TVA find another variant version of himself who is killing their agents. Then it's about finding about that variant, and about the TVA. There was a lot of meat on the bone to work with and it feels they went safe with it.

Pros:
Loki (in all forms)
the concept
The expansion of the MCU universe which will lead into Spider-Man 3, Ant-Man 3 and Dr Strange 2 (end is very important for all three)

Cons:
feels they went safe instead of going for it
Owen Wilson, this was just a bad casting

The show is solid but not as good as Wanda Vision but better than Falcon and Winter Soldier.

I give the show a solid 6.5/10.

ThreatMatrix Matrix: No boobs, butt, or ass.

Deet Diagram: There was some homelessness, but not drinking from their ass.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Loki (2021): The wife and I finished this yesterday. I'll start off by saying this is the show that the MCU announced back in 2019/2020 that I was looking forward to the most. There were so many ways this could have gone and been excellent and many that could have gone and been a completely schit show. But instead of swinging for fences, it was just a solid double. Parts of it were really good, parts were really boring. I like Todd Hiddleson as Loki, the wife loves him in the role (she prefers villains overall). The cast is a range from really good to Owen Wilson. The story when it finally wraps up could have been fcking great, but left too much potential out there. This is another series that was put out in the wrong order due to the Covid. On disney+'s timeline it falls before both WandaVision and Falcon Wintersoldier.

The show starts off where Loki gets the cosmic cube/teserac in End Game and teleports. He arrives in ancient China causing a new branch in the timeline and the TVA come to stop him. They capture him and destroy the variant timeline. Then we get to the meat of the program where he is helping the TVA find another variant version of himself who is killing their agents. Then it's about finding about that variant, and about the TVA. There was a lot of meat on the bone to work with and it feels they went safe with it.

Pros:
Loki (in all forms)
the concept
The expansion of the MCU universe which will lead into Spider-Man 3, Ant-Man 3 and Dr Strange 2 (end is very important for all three)

Cons:
feels they went safe instead of going for it
Owen Wilson, this was just a bad casting

The show is solid but not as good as Wanda Vision but better than Falcon and Winter Soldier.

I give the show a solid 6.5/10.

ThreatMatrix Matrix: No boobs, butt, or ass.

Deet Diagram: There was some homelessness, but not drinking from their ass.
Alligator Loki

that is all

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I found a new show on hbomax. JETT. I'm a couple episodes in. Definitely recommend.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I tried manifest a few weeks ago. Boring. Quit a few eps in. Something about the main chick just rubbed me the wrong way.

I'm on season 2 of Manifest. It's a 'network' type show (I'm not sure if it was actually on a network) - sort of like 24 and Blacklist; PG13-ish. It's okay, I'm watching while on the treadmill or stationary bike at the gym.

At night I'm watching Bodyguard, a 6 episode British mini-series. It's a little lame, but after 2 episodes I figured I was 33% invested.

I need a new show now for nighttime viewing....

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Watched 2 seasons of Dirty John which was really good. Crazy that they're all based on true events.

Also started watching Longmire and am enjoying it so far.

I've seen both Dirty John seasons. Agree it's crazy they are true stories. I can't believe the guy in the 1st season got over on so many people pretending to be a doctor. And the wife in the second season lost it. I can see being upset about a breakup, especially when the spouse cheats. But be like most people, get drunk for a month, cry to your family, then move on (sad, mad, glad - the phases of recovery from a break up!)....

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Line of Duty - BritBox or Hulu

Excellent cop drama. We are deep into season 1 and the story line stars Lennie James (Morgan on TWD and Sol in Snatch). Great plot, well acted & different. Thus far, it’s on par with Luther (Idris Elba).

And if you haven’t seen Snatch, you really should. Jason Statham, Brad Pitt, Benicio del Toro, Dennis Farina, Vinnie Jones - hysterically funny.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
Not sure if mentioned before, but Yellowstone has me hooked. I watch it on Peacock

Gotta get through first 2-3 episodes to appreciate it.

I’ve burned through 2.5 seasons in about 3 weeks.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Not sure if mentioned before, but Yellowstone has me hooked. I watch it on Peacock

Gotta get through first 2-3 episodes to appreciate it.

I’ve burned through 2.5 seasons in about 3 weeks.

This is (in my opinion) the best show out there right now - bar none!

We were using my MIL’s dish account to watch it and not sure what we will do for this season. Can’t wait for the next release.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb