Show recommendation thread

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Has anyone watched Outlander? I was thinking about giving it a try...

yes but it may not be for you. More of a love story. I enjoyed the first few seasons then the 3 or 4th was excruciatingly tough to watch for me because of the content. I don’t think I ever watched the 5th.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Has anyone watched Outlander? I was thinking about giving it a try...

The wife LOVES this show and is bumming about it coming to an end.
I watched a few episodes and thought it was very well done, but didn't have the time to invest in another "relationship".

The main British actress is, in my opinion, smokin' hot.
She was also Christian Bale's wife in Ford v Ferrari.

(edit: the wife thinks the lead dude, Jamie?, is also smokin' hot)

3e7147203d87a64530a7087e7beed17e.jpg

Last edited:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
The wife LOVES this show and is bumming about it coming to an end.
I watched a few episodes and thought it was very well done, but didn't have the time to invest in another "relationship".

The main British actress is, in my opinion, smokin' hot.
She was also Christian Bale's wife in Ford v Ferrari.

(edit: the wife thinks the lead dude, Jamie?, is also smokin' hot)

3e7147203d87a64530a7087e7beed17e.jpg

Wife is not wrong, Jamie is dreamy and manly. Unlike the soy boys on tv in 2021. :lol:

Edit- I do like the actress too. It’s got a good story.

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Really continuing to enjoy Ted Lasso, although the current storyline of the old (late 50s?) white woman team owner somehow connecting online anonymously with a 21 year old black player on the team, and when they meet in person, she goes through with the affair. It’s just too woke, and will likely be the beginning of the end for me.

But Roy Kent is my spirit animal.

Oh that''s too bad. I've been enjoying the show. Most of the characters are likable and you're rooting for everybody. The writing is pretty good too. But I guess the hollywierdos just can't keep from ruining a good thing.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Two really good shows we’re watching on Hulu right now.

Only Murders In The Building - Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez are true crime podcast fans and begin their own investigating a suicide/murder in their building…very solid and humorous

Dopesick - Michael Keaton plays a Dr in a rural mining town and is the story of Purdue pharma and creation of OxyContin. Shows their corrupt marketing to keep pushing higher and higher dosages and along with the FDA are allowed to keep lying about how addictive it really is. Kind of surprised this came out now in our current situation since we’re not questioning big pharma anymore

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Two really good shows we’re watching on Hulu right now.

Only Murders In The Building - Steve Martin, Martin Short and Selena Gomez are true crime podcast fans and begin their own investigating a suicide/murder in their building…very solid and humorous

Dopesick - Michael Keaton plays a Dr in a rural mining town and is the story of Purdue pharma and creation of OxyContin. Shows their corrupt marketing to keep pushing higher and higher dosages and along with the FDA are allowed to keep lying about how addictive it really is. Kind of surprised this came out now in our current situation since we’re not questioning big pharma anymore

Thanks. Haven’t heard of either but will add them to the list in case I give up football for the season.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Anyone watch this one?
We just binge watched it... very frickin' good.
Warning - tons of violence and :giggity:

amazon-the-boys-series-poster.jpg

theboys1.jpg

Last edited:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Dave Chappelle - Closer (Netflix): Chappelle is a comedic genius. And in this special, his supposed swansong, we get a little better look into the man that walked away from $50M on principle. For me his comedy is sometimes painful to watch when he lampoons my cherished beliefs. But that's what comedy done well can accomplish. Make you laugh at yourself. He attacks race relations with an underlying sincerity and effectively requires you to rethink your positions. Maybe not change them but at least see them from a different view. As Chappelle makes clear in this special it's all about empathy. Much has been made about this special and his alleged attack on the LGTPQ - whatever community. It is not. Honestly the special is not that funny. And if you're expecting clever one-liners you will be disappointed. But you absolutely must watch this until the end. I won't give it away. You will have to see it and you'll understand that Chappelle hates no one (except white people j/k). WATCH UNTIL THE END.

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Midnight Mass (2021): This is a single season on Netflix. It is done by the same creator of The Haunting of Hill house and The Haunting of Bly Manor. The wife and I enjoyed both of the previous entries in his Netflix shows. You will see some of the same actors playing roles in this one. This one starts off fairly strong, as a man who is released from prison for DUI manslaughter returns back to his hometown a small fishing town of a population of 127 (half the size of Coach's Brooker). While the man is dealing with his demons, a new pastor comes to town who has his own questions, and his high school sweetheart is back in town. The story starts off as a man dealing with his demons while adjusting to post prison and returning home, while strange events are happening about the community. The premise of this show starts off strong, and their bad religion which I read into more the group think of small communities (growing up in one). The showed the exact reason I moved away from my hometown, and wife had the same feeling as well. The mysteries start to unravel and for us it was blah, especially compared to the last two shows. I would give it a 5/10 because the production and acting was good. The storyline got preachy, and boring.

Theologator

Enchanter
Lifetime Member
Aug 11, 2015
Dave Chappelle “The Closer”

I watched because of the protests and Netflix walkout etc. I started it, watched about 30 minutes and set it aside. He skewers a LOT of people. He says some really offensive things, but in a way that made me laugh at stuff and think a bit. But it wasn’t really grabbing me.

Then I decided to finish it last night. Wow.

No spoilers, but he really cuts to the heart of his perspective and it’s not anti-anybody. He had me laughing as hard as I’ve laughed in along time and he hits hard on some key areas. His final story is excellent. Well worth the watch and if you do, definitely hang in there to the end.

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Dave Chappelle “The Closer”

I watched because of the protests and Netflix walkout etc. I started it, watched about 30 minutes and set it aside. He skewers a LOT of people. He says some really offensive things, but in a way that made me laugh at stuff and think a bit. But it wasn’t really grabbing me.

Then I decided to finish it last night. Wow.

No spoilers, but he really cuts to the heart of his perspective and it’s not anti-anybody. He had me laughing as hard as I’ve laughed in along time and he hits hard on some key areas. His final story is excellent. Well worth the watch and if you do, definitely hang in there to the end.

I watched it for the 2nd time last night and I think it’s great. He’s F’n hilarious and smart with what he says and how he says it.

Staying with comedy wifey and I will watch stand up specials and pick random people and we found Nate Bargatze on Netflix and he is great. Best deadpan comedian I’ve seen. We’ve watched his specials now like 5 times and never gets old

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Squid Game (2021) <Netfilx>

9 episode (mini) series. Storyline is based off the common 'bunch of folks in a game of survival' and the winner(s) get more money than God, so there isn't anything groundbreaking in that sense. However, this is Korean made, so you've got pretty good eye candy for colors and visuals, not CGI'd up the wazoo as most of the effects focus in on gunshots and blood splatter. Areas where this starts to make it's own path is that the players are given a chance to opt out, or continue, and most come back of their own volition so it's not like anyone put a gun to their head (inside joke with that comment). Survival is based on living thru a series of kids games (Korean games for the most part), sometimes as individuals, sometimes in groups, and when you are teamed with others they may be your ticket to survival or they may be your direct opponent - you don't know until the next game begins. Character wise, we start with a central figure, Seong Gi-hun, who appears to be in his 30's, divorced with a kid, living with his mother, and generally a useless person overall. We watch him get drawn in, and we watch several others come in with their various backgrounds; then how their interactions take us along the main plot. Add in a few wrinkles, not all relevant to the plot (ie, what happens to the bodies) but still of interest. The first 7 episodes had me watching for the games, enjoying the sub-plots. The last episode throws a curve or two that you may, or may not, see coming; but it def sets up for another season. I'm not sure if I'll watch a second season, but the first was worth the binge. 7.5/10.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
This is (in my opinion) the best show out there right now - bar none!

We were using my MIL’s dish account to watch it and not sure what we will do for this season. Can’t wait for the next release.
Yellowstone’s new season just started, and the quality is just as good.

Really can’t recommend this show enough, and I normally hate Kevin Costner.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Yellowstone’s new season just started, and the quality is just as good.

Really can’t recommend this show enough, and I normally hate Kevin Costner.

The wife is all caught up... but I need to finish Season 2.
It really is a very well done show.
It's also weird to hear Costner's "daughter" talk (in real life) with a British accent.

Last edited:

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
The wife is all caught up... but I need to finish Season 2.
It really is a very well done show.
It's also weird to hear Costner's "daughter talk" (in real life) with a British accent.
I didn’t know she was British. She’s pretty hot, and now that she’s got an accent, I think I’m gonna have to add her to my “hall pass” list with the old ball and chain.

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    fishermb