Show recommendation thread

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
I had no idea who that character was, so I did some google work. Yeah, it's the same echo who ended up working for Kingpin, according to the history. In this series, she's only been shown to be leading some bad guys, her uncle was killed by Ronin so she's set against anyone wearing the outfit (spoiler = Kate wore it by accident, hence Hawkeye stepping in to try and clear her name). No hint as yet to her dad, Kingpin, or any of that, just the basics thus far and not really showing any of her skills other than fighting and that she's deaf. Fwiw, I sincerely doubt they'd drag D'Onofrio back to play Kingpin. I thought it was a good role for him, but I'm certain they will recast if they bring that character into this series, they'd want someone younger they can then weave through other series, I'm sure.

Charlie Cox is already rumored to be back as Matt Murdock in Spider Man 3 and the She-Hulk series (coming to Disney+). So I think that opens the door for a lot of the former characters, including the Colleen Wig (spelling) from Iron Fist was slated to appear in Shang-Chi but had a scheduling conflict with her role in Matrix 4.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Just binged the 3 episodes this weekend. Didn't realize the whole season hadn't dropped. I thought it was excellent, and I can't wait for the rest. I like how they have Jeremy Renner as the wanna-be retired dad moving on with his life that gets tangled up with Kate Bishop (can't figure out if she's hot or not, there's something about her face throwing me off). But it's gone very well through the first few episodes, I'm loving the humor with the Track Suit Mafia. Should set up nicely for Kate to take the role later, and pivot into MCU4 films, I hope.

I've tried a few times to watch The Witcher, but just cannot get into it yet.

I had no idea who that character was, so I did some google work. Yeah, it's the same echo who ended up working for Kingpin, according to the history. In this series, she's only been shown to be leading some bad guys, her uncle was killed by Ronin so she's set against anyone wearing the outfit (spoiler = Kate wore it by accident, hence Hawkeye stepping in to try and clear her name). No hint as yet to her dad, Kingpin, or any of that, just the basics thus far and not really showing any of her skills other than fighting and that she's deaf. Fwiw, I sincerely doubt they'd drag D'Onofrio back to play Kingpin. I thought it was a good role for him, but I'm certain they will recast if they bring that character into this series, they'd want someone younger they can then weave through other series, I'm sure.
I think it’s her character. Every role I’ve seen her in she is basically a sweat pants girl, but is pretty attractive fixed up

Renner’s Hawkeye has been pretty good since Age of Ultron when they revamped him some

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014

:trainwreck:

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Never heard of it
It's really good. Some are calling it one of the best but let's see how it ends first. The acting and dialog is first rate. It's shot in a quisi-documentary style so the camera work is really interesting. Plot wise Logan Roy (Brian Cox) is the aging CEO of multi national conglomerate (of course he's an evil capitalist). His children are at various times trying to destroy him and take control or prove themselves as a worthy successor. The irony is that the only way they can prove themselves worthy is by destroying him. It's a well written character drama with some funny moments.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Ok, finished Hawkeye on Disney+ recently. I don't know if they dropped the back end of the season after ep3 or I'm just a dip****. Probably both.

Vincent D made his appearance as Kingpin, and I really liked it. I didn't keep up with the Daredevil series on Netflix after about the first season, so I don't know how well he carried the role there, but he did very well in this. He wasn't over powering, stealing the scenes or episodes, but did bring the presence one would expect of Kingpin and helped the plot along quite well. To include addressing Maya and leaving an opening for both of them in future series.

Yelena was a treat. They were able to bring her into the story in a delightful way. There were connections and references to the Black Widow movie, where her relationship with Natashia was solidified, in ways to both give Yelena her own emotional drive while still utilizing her black widow skills. Then, there was the friendly playful back and forth with Kate Bishop, which lays a great foundation for future teamwork.

I still like the TSM as bumbling villains, I truly do like that they remain comic book characters.

Season one did very well do bring Kate Bishop up from kid to lead, and we watch her development under Clint Barton's reluctant tutelage. He struggles throughout wanting to be that retired dad, but cannot deny his need to do what's right. That extends to repeatedly trying to protect Kate by pushing her away, and she continues to get drawn in more and more - not out of childish mistakes, but a sincere desire to also do what's right, to be what Hawkeye always was without trying to be Hawkeye but instead be true to herself in the process. I don't know how much they might keep Clint around in future seasons, and I am also curious if Kate's mom becomes some super villain persona, but I am comforted in seeing who the writers and creators have drawn Kate to become, that she will be fun going forward as well.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Ted Lasso (AppleTV)

After prompting from family members who have AppleTV, I downloaded a pirate copy of seasons 1+2 and binged the last few days with the wife. Most are likely aware, but the premise is a English woman goes through a divorce and from that she gains ownership of a minor league soccer team. As her ex-husband was a total dick, her aim is to ruin the club, so she hires Ted Lasso, NCAAF coach of Witchita State to be her coach. He brings no knowledge whatsoever of soccer, but he's got an unbeatable positive attitude and and assistant (Coach Beard...who has a beard). Ted takes the job as his wife has asked for 'space' in their marriage, so he went 4400 miles away, and speaks with his young son via internet periodically.

Season 1 was focused on Ted getting acclimated to England, overcoming cultural and personality differences to win over the players and attempt to keep them in the Premier (top division) league. Other characters in the mix are the club owner, Rebecca, who is a tall and busty woman who is both powerful and dealing with her own insecurities. I'll admit, I found her very attractive for her age, but her age, and found she is 5y younger than me. Fk I'm old. We have a team trainer, Nate, who is our Indi-Paki ghost of a human being with less than zero confidence who is often abused by the players. On the team, we have the young superstar, Jamie Tartt, on loan from another team but seemingly the only one who can score - as such he thinks the world of himself, and nothing of anyone else. We also have an old legend, Roy, who is in his professional decline but still leaned on to lead others despite his total 'fk off' attitude towards everyone and everything. Lastly of note is the hot girlfriend Jamie brings into the series. She's 30, and very bubbly attractive (except for her british teeth), as she oft seems light and superficial but expresses a tremendous heart and caring for others, and a bit more depth than you expect. Season 1 brings plenty of laughs, several moments of feeling, and generally a good ride, even for those who don't like soccer or know anything about it.

Season 2 is about trying to regain their earlier glory, but having lost Roy to injury (how does he handle post-playing?) and Tartt back to his home team. We add in a team psychologist for the season, to help various players with their issues, but it builds towards a major revelation and issue in Ted's life. While both seasons have a mix of good supporting players (both team and cast), one rises to more of a lead role in Season 2 as he faces a choice of moving on to great wealth vs staying with the club, and the relationships he's built there. I'll also state that my impression was that half way through season 2 it felt the writers had run out of steam and were grasping a bit. The overall show is still good, and sets for a season 3, but the back half was a mixed bag. For example, there is one episode titled 'Coach Beard after hours' which follows him walking home after a big loss. Up to this point Beard is somewhat enigmatic, speaking not a lot but generally to the point, and sharing of a wide (weird) mix of experiences. This episode follows him from the field, to a bar meeting up with some fans, out to clubs, through a few other adventures, and generally plays as 'weird'. Either one writer got his dream to write an episode on anyone and anything they want, or someone lost a bet and had to write an episode solely on Beard. Any way you slice it, the episode doesn't fit the flow of the series at all and is a diversion into an underdeveloped character at the expense of fans enjoying the overall show. As a second example, the issue Ted faces gets entwined with Rebecca coming to terms with her mother when her father dies and the two of them host the funeral for him. While being a significant dive into Rebecca's past and her issues, the filming begins chopping it up and intermixing it with Ted facing his similar father issues with the psychologist. This could be a well played bit of writing to tether Ted and Rebecca's issues in parallel, either to bring them closer to each other for the audience or to share with the audience that all people face such challenges. However, in my viewing, it was a bit clunky and overbearing with the heart strings.

I started to explain how season 3 is set up, but I'll keep that spoiler to myself. I'll watch it, in part because I like the overall theme and characters. But, I'm also watching to see if the writing that sabatoged the end of season 2 remains.

No nudity, a TON of swearing (particularly by Roy), and a lot of sexual references. Not for 12yo boys like my son who watched it as well, but still recommended for you lot. 6.5/10

Egor's Assistant

SAVE CHATTER
Lifetime Member
Nov 3, 2017
Utopia on Prime is good viewing IMO. Only one season though. If you get hooked, there's a British version that came out first that has two seasons. Both are free on Prime Video. Probably already mentioned somewhere in this thread. Even comes with a CoVid warning. "This program is not about the current pandemic."

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Ted Lasso (AppleTV)

After prompting from family members who have AppleTV, I downloaded a pirate copy of seasons 1+2 and binged the last few days with the wife. Most are likely aware, but the premise is a English woman goes through a divorce and from that she gains ownership of a minor league soccer team. As her ex-husband was a total dick, her aim is to ruin the club, so she hires Ted Lasso, NCAAF coach of Witchita State to be her coach. He brings no knowledge whatsoever of soccer, but he's got an unbeatable positive attitude and and assistant (Coach Beard...who has a beard). Ted takes the job as his wife has asked for 'space' in their marriage, so he went 4400 miles away, and speaks with his young son via internet periodically.

Season 1 was focused on Ted getting acclimated to England, overcoming cultural and personality differences to win over the players and attempt to keep them in the Premier (top division) league. Other characters in the mix are the club owner, Rebecca, who is a tall and busty woman who is both powerful and dealing with her own insecurities. I'll admit, I found her very attractive for her age, but her age, and found she is 5y younger than me. Fk I'm old. We have a team trainer, Nate, who is our Indi-Paki ghost of a human being with less than zero confidence who is often abused by the players. On the team, we have the young superstar, Jamie Tartt, on loan from another team but seemingly the only one who can score - as such he thinks the world of himself, and nothing of anyone else. We also have an old legend, Roy, who is in his professional decline but still leaned on to lead others despite his total 'fk off' attitude towards everyone and everything. Lastly of note is the hot girlfriend Jamie brings into the series. She's 30, and very bubbly attractive (except for her british teeth), as she oft seems light and superficial but expresses a tremendous heart and caring for others, and a bit more depth than you expect. Season 1 brings plenty of laughs, several moments of feeling, and generally a good ride, even for those who don't like soccer or know anything about it.

Season 2 is about trying to regain their earlier glory, but having lost Roy to injury (how does he handle post-playing?) and Tartt back to his home team. We add in a team psychologist for the season, to help various players with their issues, but it builds towards a major revelation and issue in Ted's life. While both seasons have a mix of good supporting players (both team and cast), one rises to more of a lead role in Season 2 as he faces a choice of moving on to great wealth vs staying with the club, and the relationships he's built there. I'll also state that my impression was that half way through season 2 it felt the writers had run out of steam and were grasping a bit. The overall show is still good, and sets for a season 3, but the back half was a mixed bag. For example, there is one episode titled 'Coach Beard after hours' which follows him walking home after a big loss. Up to this point Beard is somewhat enigmatic, speaking not a lot but generally to the point, and sharing of a wide (weird) mix of experiences. This episode follows him from the field, to a bar meeting up with some fans, out to clubs, through a few other adventures, and generally plays as 'weird'. Either one writer got his dream to write an episode on anyone and anything they want, or someone lost a bet and had to write an episode solely on Beard. Any way you slice it, the episode doesn't fit the flow of the series at all and is a diversion into an underdeveloped character at the expense of fans enjoying the overall show. As a second example, the issue Ted faces gets entwined with Rebecca coming to terms with her mother when her father dies and the two of them host the funeral for him. While being a significant dive into Rebecca's past and her issues, the filming begins chopping it up and intermixing it with Ted facing his similar father issues with the psychologist. This could be a well played bit of writing to tether Ted and Rebecca's issues in parallel, either to bring them closer to each other for the audience or to share with the audience that all people face such challenges. However, in my viewing, it was a bit clunky and overbearing with the heart strings.

I started to explain how season 3 is set up, but I'll keep that spoiler to myself. I'll watch it, in part because I like the overall theme and characters. But, I'm also watching to see if the writing that sabatoged the end of season 2 remains.

No nudity, a TON of swearing (particularly by Roy), and a lot of sexual references. Not for 12yo boys like my son who watched it as well, but still recommended for you lot. 6.5/10

Thanks for the write up. We can get 4 months free with our Target card and this is the only thing I thought I might want to view. May just wait to use it down the line

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Kevin Costner's Yellowstone breaks records as 9.3 MILLION tune in to watch the season 4 finale | Daily Mail Online

Kevin Costner's non-woke series Yellowstone breaks records as more than 11MILLION tune in to watch the season four finale - making it the most watched show on TV since 2017
  • Yellowstone broke record for most-watched cable TV show in the last five years on Sunday, with more than 11million viewers tuning in live to the Season 4 finale
  • The Walking Dead set the record in October of 2017 with 11.4 viewers watching its Season 8 premiere
  • Kevin Costner series about rural America surpassed its own Season 3 finale live viewership - 5.2 million - by 81 percent

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Dexter: New Blood was really really good until another awful finale.

G8trwood

Lifetime Member
Nov 29, 2015
Peacemaker HBO Max. What suicide squad should have been. Tongue in cheek humor, no bad CGG. Boobs and homeless ass. 7/10

Last edited:

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
The Bad Batch (2021) <Disney+>

One more branch off the Star Wars franchise. I'll admit, I made into s2 of the Mandalorian and kinda fell off. None of the other spin offs have drawn me in. I can't give much of a reason for giving this one a try other than it was just one season, so limited investment to binge and be done. I'll admit up front I haven't watched much of this cinematic universe beyond the main 9 films and s1 of Mandalorian. I don't know the different storylines, or all these spin off characters and such. I suppose this has some connection to the Clone Wars, of which I am also oblivious. So, I'm going into this blind, with no real expectations, recognizing there may be references I don't get.

First episode picks up with a squad of storm troopers with a red highlight to their gear. We have clones helping the Jedi against Empire, and the Jedi-Empire war comes to an end. In the end of war moments, the Jedi attempt to kill Palpatine - I forget if they succeed or not, but a command goes out that basically flips a mental switch on all clones and they set about killing all the Jedi they've been helping. Whatever. We focus on the Bad Batch, which is a set of 5 clones who were defective, each in a unique way, and those defects were enhanced. Our leader, Hunter, is an excellent hunter :\ We have Wrecker, Crosshair, Echo (non-defective, rebuilt reg storm trooper thrown in the squad), and Tech. Being 'defective' the command doesn't kick in for them, and they begin making their own decisions in the situation. From there, they end up being hunted across the galaxy, and pick up yet another clone...this one a child named Omega, who was made by the same scientist and has high value. So s1 is them protecting Omega, finding their way, getting into conflicts and trying to resolve it while we have a season long over-arching story of internal conflict among the team. There's your summary.

Now, for the assessment. I've not watched animated series much, but there were times it was done really well....then there are times you watch them making normal walking movement and it's really off. The Bad Batch characters are played very well, each bringing their own personality and thoughts to the situations. Omega annoyed me. Everyone calls her Oh-meh-gah, but they hired some New Zealander to do her voice and she consistently calls herself Oh-mee-gah. You would think they could agree and get along on that point, but no it is completely ignored. A few of the episodes get a little blah, doing a mission here or there for a black market contact. We get a handful of characters scattered across the series that you would think are seeds for more important roles later in the season, but none get very developed or return for more than a second episode....maybe they show in s2 or later. Bottom line, for someone not well versed in Star Wars lore, nor typically attracted to animated series, this was decent - held my attention (mostly) thru the episodes. I may watch s2, if it is made, but it won't be a high item on my to-do list and if I miss out, I won't be bothered. Perhaps for more die hard Star Wars fans, it carries stronger interest. I do like the group, and I can't point to much more they should have done with them, but it still felt only a little better than meh overall.

6/10

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator