Show recommendation thread

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
couple of things here.
There's a 10 year gap between the time of the apocalypse 2003 and the time of the storyline 2013 for the first game (season 1), which is when the original game came out.
Batteries that would be used in a flashlight or a walkman can last (unused) for up to 10 years or more. some are said to last possibly as long as 20 years but not likely and probably highly degraded. So it's not out of the realm that there are left over batteries that have just been saved and not used with devices used sparingly.
They also recharge car batteries, so also wouldn't be out of the realm to recharge smaller batteries too. The lithium AA battery has been around since 1992.
Lastly, in the game, Last of Us and Nathan Drake (both made by Naughty Dog) the player "recharges" the flashlight by shaking the controller.
In the real world, the linear induction flashlight was created in 2002, a year before the "apocalypse" in the game, so it's not unreasonable to think this was a legit thing for the game, and while playing the game you do have to shake the controller often for the light to keep working, just like a real linear induction flashlight.
Let's just say that the game would appear to be more "well thought out" than the show! :lol: I'm enjoying the show, but man 'o man... :lol:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Shooter ... Netflix.

Special forces sniper, retired, gets asked to help to stop a foreign sniper (his nemesis) planned attempt to assassinate POTUS. SF sniper figures out how his nemesis would take the shot and from where. Except, he was actually being set up for the actual assassination of the Ukraine President who was with POTUS.

Now he's trying to find out who actual took the shot so he can bring those that set him up, down.

I'm on episode 4. I almost quit 3/4 of the way through episode 1 ... it was obvious he was being set-up (it seems like there was a similar movie?) but I continued watching.

Pretty good plot and acting so far. 7/10.

Actually, upon reflection, a couple of the scenes in episode 4 were pretty unrealistic and stupid. Like Hallmark stupid if they did violence.

6/10.

5/10. I stopped watching after finishing episode 4. Acting was good, premise was good, but some of the important scenes lacked important details and/or had details that were not fully flushed out.

Last edited:

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
couple of things here.
There's a 10 year gap between the time of the apocalypse 2003 and the time of the storyline 2013 for the first game (season 1), which is when the original game came out.
Batteries that would be used in a flashlight or a walkman can last (unused) for up to 10 years or more. some are said to last possibly as long as 20 years but not likely and probably highly degraded. So it's not out of the realm that there are left over batteries that have just been saved and not used with devices used sparingly.
They also recharge car batteries, so also wouldn't be out of the realm to recharge smaller batteries too. The lithium AA battery has been around since 1992.
Lastly, in the game, Last of Us and Nathan Drake (both made by Naughty Dog) the player "recharges" the flashlight by shaking the controller.
In the real world, the linear induction flashlight was created in 2002, a year before the "apocalypse" in the game, so it's not unreasonable to think this was a legit thing for the game, and while playing the game you do have to shake the controller often for the light to keep working, just like a real linear induction flashlight.
You worry me.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Shooter ... Netflix.

Based upon ‘Point of Impact’ by Stephen Hunter. There are now over a dozen Bob Lee Swagger books in the series - some on him, some on his dad going back a generation. All were DAMN GOOD books, well worth the read.

The show? Too much ‘made for tv’ which was Hunters concern over licensing it in the first place.

Read the book. So much better.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Based upon ‘Point of Impact’ by Stephen Hunter. There are now over a dozen Bob Lee Swagger books in the series - some on him, some on his dad going back a generation. All were DAMN GOOD books, well worth the read.

The show? Too much ‘made for tv’ which was Hunters concern over licensing it in the first place.

Read the book. So much better.
I bought the kindle book.

DarksideGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2017
Inside Man on Netflix was good. Stanley Tucci is on death row that likes to “assist” solving crimes. His partner on death row was the best character.

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Episode 9 of Last of Us was pretty solid and picked up a lot of what was good about the game...only part that wasn't in the game was the beginning of the episode (though it was a good showing of what the game was like). The "mother" (Ashley Johnson) in the first scene is the person who voices Ellie in the game.

This is what more of the show should be as it was really good translating the game to the screen.

They skipped so much though, I'm curious how they are going to handle the seasons as they continue.

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
I'm finally getting around to giving Peaky Blinders a real chance. Seedy and I tried it years ago but must have fallen asleep in the first few minutes. My friend was really pushing it so now I'm in the second season and liking it. Great characters, music and cinematography imo.

Ok, you can see I still kept putting other series ahead of this, and some films....finally gave it a go. Got me hooked by s1e4(?) where he married off his brother to the gypsy. I'm now up to s2e3, but been on pause for the last few weeks due to work (lack of hotel time, too much work to do). But yeah, worth the watch for sure.

Took a long time, but finally finished Peaky Blinders. I struggled a bit through seasons 3-5 as they kept ratcheting up the global politics angle for a neighborhood kingpin. Production quality remained high, I just don’t know the history of the era to be in tune with facial movements, the IRA at the time, etc. I just hung on, taking their word for it that this was semi-accurate and plausible.

That said, I really dragged out watching the back half of s5 and all of s6, mostly because I had no feel for where it was going until they crystallized Tommy’s end game. Which, I kinda liked, because it was feeling like a very meh ending on the horizon. Then the end twist was fantastic.

Would I recommend the series? Yes. Invest 2-3 seasons, see if it hooks for you or not. The ending is solid, without committing to anything.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Took a long time, but finally finished Peaky Blinders. I struggled a bit through seasons 3-5 as they kept ratcheting up the global politics angle for a neighborhood kingpin. Production quality remained high, I just don’t know the history of the era to be in tune with facial movements, the IRA at the time, etc. I just hung on, taking their word for it that this was semi-accurate and plausible.

That said, I really dragged out watching the back half of s5 and all of s6, mostly because I had no feel for where it was going until they crystallized Tommy’s end game. Which, I kinda liked, because it was feeling like a very meh ending on the horizon. Then the end twist was fantastic.

Would I recommend the series? Yes. Invest 2-3 seasons, see if it hooks for you or not. The ending is solid, without committing to anything.

Very fair assessment. It was unique in a time when I didn't have much else to watch. I struggled with a few seasons thinking, WTH? but then it worked itself out. I'd give it a 7 and worth watching.

DarksideGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2017
Can’t recall in this thread if We Own This City was mentioned. This is about police corruption in Baltimore based on true events. It was outstanding IMO, couldn’t wait to watch the next episode, stayed up way past by bedtime last night
You can catch it on HBO Max. Great acting, with some crazy characters, well done production.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
Can’t recall in this thread if We Own This City was mentioned. This is about police corruption in Baltimore based on true events. It was outstanding IMO, couldn’t wait to watch the next episode, stayed up way past by bedtime last night
You can catch it on HBO Max. Great acting, with some crazy characters, well done production.

We watched this one and thought it was outstanding.
Mainly because it was a very "The Wire" type of production.
That...and Jon Bernthal.

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
I watched the first 4 seasons of Yellowstone and enjoyed them.

I really like 1883.

1923? 3/10. Went woke with seperate story lines that were just stupid. What a disappointment.

I guess there will be a second season (maybe the story lines will converge) but the way they put in stereotype characters (with no development or depth) makes me say .... who cares.

:shake:

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Is anyone watching Daisy Jones & the Six on Amazon?
Loosely based on Fleetwood Mac. I’m enjoying it so far but might be more of a chick story.

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
Loosely based on Fleetwood Mac. I’m enjoying it so far but might be more of a chick story.

Watched it with my wife. Don’t know why but I felt the lead male actor wasn’t very well cast as a rock star IMO. Elvis’s granddaughter does a decent job as Daisy but I never saw the chemistry between her and the leader of The 6. Hated the obligatory minority, woman and gay roles but at least they only had one character for all 3, even if her character added nothing to the storyline IMO. The songs were disappointing other than the first one they did together. All in all, not my favorite.

bradgator2

Founding Member
Rioting
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member

We just finished it. Wasnt my favorite as it unfolded, but we stuck with it and the characters really grew on me. The last episode and the twist at the end made for an incredible finale.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
We just finished it. Wasnt my favorite as it unfolded, but we stuck with it and the characters really grew on me. The last episode and the twist at the end made for an incredible finale.
It was likeable. I don’t think Seedy would have enjoyed it but I did recommend it to my chick friends to watch over spring break. Good story with the characters. They had a lot of time to practice in the band while they were shut down for covid. I think the extra time invested helped with the chemistry between the two main characters. Elvis’ granddaughter was surprisingly good with her vocals, imo. I look forward to watching her in more movies.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.