Show recommendation thread

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
I’ll give this a shot
You lived in Brooklyn so you might appreciate the NY feel.
Also I think you have to like the character portrayed by Natasha Lyonne. After that I think it's an interesting twist on the ground hog day trope. I laughed out loud only once but otherwise it was still amusing and had witty dialog.

BNAG8R

Founding Member
I don’t care
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
Binged “Bodyguard” on Netflix this weekend. British govt conspiracy thriller - I really liked it, and I rarely like anything.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
the episodes build on each other, it picks up steam. i dont want to give anything away but it gets good. i like his folksyness
I'm in Season 5 now. I must say you were right that it gets better as the episodes build on each other. I wasn't sure that was going to happen at first. Been pretty good overall.

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
I'm in Season 5 now. I must say you were right that it gets better as the episodes build on each other. I wasn't sure that was going to happen at first. Been pretty good overall.

Lol, gotta be the worst crime stats in a America per capita

URGatorBait

Founding Member
Ox's Former Favorite Poster
Lifetime Member
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
Binged “Bodyguard” on Netflix this weekend. British govt conspiracy thriller - I really liked it, and I rarely like anything.
an injun liking the Brits?
:what:

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Over the weekend, binged season 1 of "The Umbrella Academy" (Netflix). Based on a graphic novel, premise is one random day 39 or so women give birth at the same time - none of them were pregnant that morning. Some billionaire recluse goes about buying all he can, ends up with 7 and raises them to save the world. Each discovers a unique power, except one who is 'ordinary'. It has that current 'Netflix feel' where production is pretty well done, the actors are ok in their roles but only 2 really stood out to me. One who can conjure the dead (see them, speak with them), and one who can teleport but builds up the power to a point of time travel. Mr. Time Travel jumps ahead and discovers the world is destroyed. Early episodes focus on the rest of the kids, now adults, who come together after their father's death and try to make sense of his death and resolve their differences. About episode 3-4 we get to see what happened to Mr. Time Travel as he finds a way back and tries to enlist the family to stop the Armageddon. Kicker here is his conciousness is like 56y old, but he comes back into his 13y old body while is brothers and sisters are now early 30's or so. The future sends two hitman (Mary J Blige as "Cha Cha" and a fella as "Hazel"), who are commissioned to kill Mr. Time Travel and allow events to proceed as they should.

There are a lot of entwined story lines, everybody gets a moment to be the lynch pin to make things happen, the killers weave in and out of most folks' storylines and get a pretty decent story of their own, IMO. However as we reach the final episode, we've exhausted the character backstories, left several gaping holes in the overall wtf explanation (ie, how did their dad KNOW there was Armageddon coming?). I get that this is a graphic novel at heart, I get that season 1 is intended to set the stage for season 2 and others. However, the way it wrapped up, tells me they could make more episodes....but I really hope they don't. I'm not sure how much Mr. Time Travel is supposed to be the centerpiece - I know his coming back is key, and it brings assassins with it, but it felt like the ending said 'well, we will let him use his power one last time and hit the reset button again'. Which, to me, says anything that happens can be undone with another reset by travelling back again. While the story carried to the end, and moved along decently, this ending really turned me off. Cannot recommend for any Marvel or Comic Book type fans. Really, for any fans of anything. There are better uses of your time.

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Over the weekend, binged season 1 of "The Umbrella Academy" (Netflix). Based on a graphic novel, premise is one random day 39 or so women give birth at the same time - none of them were pregnant that morning. Some billionaire recluse goes about buying all he can, ends up with 7 and raises them to save the world. Each discovers a unique power, except one who is 'ordinary'. It has that current 'Netflix feel' where production is pretty well done, the actors are ok in their roles but only 2 really stood out to me. One who can conjure the dead (see them, speak with them), and one who can teleport but builds up the power to a point of time travel. Mr. Time Travel jumps ahead and discovers the world is destroyed. Early episodes focus on the rest of the kids, now adults, who come together after their father's death and try to make sense of his death and resolve their differences. About episode 3-4 we get to see what happened to Mr. Time Travel as he finds a way back and tries to enlist the family to stop the Armageddon. Kicker here is his conciousness is like 56y old, but he comes back into his 13y old body while is brothers and sisters are now early 30's or so. The future sends two hitman (Mary J Blige as "Cha Cha" and a fella as "Hazel"), who are commissioned to kill Mr. Time Travel and allow events to proceed as they should.

There are a lot of entwined story lines, everybody gets a moment to be the lynch pin to make things happen, the killers weave in and out of most folks' storylines and get a pretty decent story of their own, IMO. However as we reach the final episode, we've exhausted the character backstories, left several gaping holes in the overall wtf explanation (ie, how did their dad KNOW there was Armageddon coming?). I get that this is a graphic novel at heart, I get that season 1 is intended to set the stage for season 2 and others. However, the way it wrapped up, tells me they could make more episodes....but I really hope they don't. I'm not sure how much Mr. Time Travel is supposed to be the centerpiece - I know his coming back is key, and it brings assassins with it, but it felt like the ending said 'well, we will let him use his power one last time and hit the reset button again'. Which, to me, says anything that happens can be undone with another reset by travelling back again. While the story carried to the end, and moved along decently, this ending really turned me off. Cannot recommend for any Marvel or Comic Book type fans. Really, for any fans of anything. There are better uses of your time.
I didn't get to the end of season. I felt like it was an interesting premise and I liked the quirkiness. I think I felt like it could be bettter. Also I watched it while I was doing other things and felt like I missed stuff but at the same time I got the feeling it didn't matter.
As I was once told by a Mexican waiter when I asked if the fish was good. "es bueno, si te gusta" - its good if you like it. Thanks for the insight, Jose.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Has Schitt’s Creek been mentioned? If not, it should have been. Hilarious!
The episode with the old sexual harassment video had me laughing out loud. Not all of them are a treasure, but they hit the right mark a lot.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
The episode with the old sexual harassment video had me laughing out loud. Not all of them are a treasure, but they hit the right mark a lot.
Oh we haven't gotten to that one yet. We're in the middle of season 2.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
Me and my wife really liked that one too

ThreatMatrix

Lifetime Member
Aug 28, 2014
Oh we haven't gotten to that one yet. We're in the middle of season 2.
I binged last year and have been jonesing for a new season ever since. Like Archer this is one show I can rewatch and rewatch and rewatch. The cast is fantastic, can't say enough about them.

Swamp Queen

Founding Member
Mrs. Sasquatch
BANNED
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I binged last year and have been jonesing for a new season ever since. Like Archer this is one show I can rewatch and rewatch and rewatch. The cast is fantastic, can't say enough about them.
I’m probably going to cry when we catch up, but I can definitely see how it’s rewatchable!

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
Just finished G.O.T, gonna watch binge newest season of Shameless , then Walking dead newest stuff.. any thoughts? Excited for new season of Billions also

TLB

Just chillin'
Lifetime Member
Jan 6, 2015
Just binged the animated series (only a season 1 available on Netfilx) of Love, Death, and Robots. All episodes are stand alone, not even carry over characters. All episodes follow whatever animating they choose (some look like Saturday mornings stuff, some like Archer, some like cutting edge video games simulating real people). There's a LOT of violence, language, and nudity to support the TV-MA rating. But I found nearly all of the episodes enjoyable. This won't be for everyone, but for some, a pretty good spend of a few hours over a weekend. 7/10

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
Just bindged the 7 episodes of new Shameless season. I was disappointed, the comedy seemed forced, and got a little political. I've come so far with this show so I had to watch it. But it was only meh

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Birthdays

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    A2xGator