Show recommendation thread

MJMGator

Founding Member
Slightly amused
Lifetime Member
Jun 10, 2014
Founding Member
I'm probably the last person in the whole US to NOT have seen True Detective.
I watched season one... WOW.
Apparently it's the only season really worth watching.

McConaughey is incredible
Season 3 was good, but not as good as 1. Couldn’t make it through a single episode of season 2.

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
Watched the first episode of Masters of the Air this morning--it's produced by Spielberg and Tom Hanks as a follow-up to Band of Brothers and The Pacific.

Already can tell it's going to be a good show--first episode starts off by throwing them straight into the fire and shows the nightmare that was the skies over Europe in WWII.

Just watched first 2 episodes. Good stuff other than it’s driving me crazy that Austin Butler (who I loved as Elvis) is still playing his character like Elvis in this series. I hang out a lot at The Eagle in Cambridge where many crews would drink after those missions. The RAF room still has the ceiling where squadrons, emblems and even the profile of a woman were burnt inot using lighters and candles. Looking forward to this rest of the series!

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Was really looking forward to Masters of the Air. While it has some great CGI I find that the characters are poorly developed, the dialogue is mostly uninteresting, and the acting isn't great either. The only way I can really get a feel for what's happening is by separately researching the 100th and the people depicted in the show.

Episode 3 was a bit better than either of the first two. I think that rather than just jumping into each episode and having the viewer try to figure out what's up, there should be a prologue narrative first which puts the upcoming events into context.

I've seen Band of Brothers half a dozen times at least, and The Pacific probably 3 times. Doesn't feel like I'll watch this one more than once so far.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
Was really looking forward to Masters of the Air. While it has some great CGI I find that the characters are poorly developed, the dialogue is mostly uninteresting, and the acting isn't great either. The only way I can really get a feel for what's happening is by separately researching the 100th and the people depicted in the show.

Episode 3 was a bit better than either of the first two. I think that rather than just jumping into each episode and having the viewer try to figure out what's up, there should be a prologue narrative first which puts the upcoming events into context.

I've seen Band of Brothers half a dozen times at least, and The Pacific probably 3 times. Doesn't feel like I'll watch this one more than once so far.
We started it the other night and turned it off.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014

I'll finish it for lack of anything much better, but the first two episodes did drag, but 3 was pretty good. That being said I don't know who thought it was a good idea to have a 3 minute + intro. The first episode wouldn't let me skip it and it took forever.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I just finished watching Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Prime). 5 seasons, really good (surprisingly). I'd give it a solid 8/10 or better.

I started watching The Affair (it's on Prime, but was a Showtime original), has 5 seasons also. Only 3 episodes in, but pretty good. Seems a little dark. Since it's on Prime there's commercials that cut in, which sucks.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
I just finished watching Marvelous Mrs. Maisel (Prime). 5 seasons, really good (surprisingly). I'd give it a solid 8/10 or better.
Loved Mrs Maisel!
You might enjoy The Great - loosely based on Catherine the Great but it’s a comedy. Amazon

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Mrs. Maisel was excellent. Fantastic show.
aaron jackson josh sharp GIF by The Opposition w/ Jordan Klepper

wrpgator

Lifetime Member
Sep 6, 2019
“Time” on Britbox is very good. Middle aged school teacher driving drunk kills a girl on a bike. He gets 4 years in with general population of cut throats. Very well acted and better / more realistic writing than typical Hollywood fare.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
“Time” on Britbox is very good. Middle aged school teacher driving drunk kills a girl on a bike. He gets 4 years in with general population of cut throats. Very well acted and better / more realistic writing than typical Hollywood fare.

Oz was one of the most dark, brutal tv shows I've ever watched - makes you definitely not want to go to jail! lol

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
You know... this Masters of the Air is growing on me.
Definitely picked up the pace over the last couple of episodes.
Very cool to see the arrival of the P-51s.

I liked this exchange between a German interrogation officer and one of the Tuskegee airmen POWs:

German dude:
Why do you fight for a country who treats you like that?

American POW:

Do you know any other country that’s better?

I know what my country’s shortcomings are.

And I know it’s trying hard to become what it says it’s supposed to be.

And when I get back…I’m gonna help them do that a lot faster."

DarksideGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2017
About 3 episodes into The Gentlemen on Netflix, enjoying it. A Guy Ritchie directed series with many twists like all his work. Crazy characters, good plot, his MO.

DarksideGator

Lifetime Member
Nov 8, 2017
I liked the movie (and all his movies), was worried this would suck.
It’s a gangsterish feel. People doing illegal things, but trying real hard to be innocent, that cracks me up for some reason. Even my honey is enjoying it, and usually she’s not into this type of show. But maybe deep down she really is? She loved Ozarks, hard to get any more violent, criminal, and gangsterish than that one!

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
It’s a gangsterish feel. People doing illegal things, but trying real hard to be innocent, that cracks me up for some reason. Even my honey is enjoying it, and usually she’s not into this type of show. But maybe deep down she really is? She loved Ozarks, hard to get any more violent, criminal, and gangsterish than that one!

Same here - I watched the first two episodes- the wife and I both enjoyed the movie. The series so far is pretty good

jdh5484

Founding Member
Just Beat UGa
Lifetime Member
Jun 30, 2014
Founding Member
Watching Shogun on Hulu.

Remake of the 1980 mini-series based on the book.

3.5-4/ 5.

Not bad. It follows an English ship "pilot" that is the first English (Dutch) to make it to Japan after the Portugese and Spain had already gotten a foothold with catholicism (and trade).
Japan is being ruled by a 5 family commission that are awaiting the dead emperors son to become old enough to rule.

In fighting between the families (some converted to cathalicsim) for control and the pilot (protestant) sceaming to oust the Portuguese by aligning with one family.

The pilots British accent is a bit much. But the plot is good.

Sub-titled.

I liked the original series.

(I keep getting this and The Last Sumari confused )

Detroitgator

Lifetime Member
Jul 15, 2014
Watching Shogun on Hulu.

Remake of the 1980 mini-series based on the book.

3.5-4/ 5.

Not bad. It follows an English ship "pilot" that is the first English (Dutch) to make it to Japan after the Portugese and Spain had already gotten a foothold with catholicism (and trade).
Japan is being ruled by a 5 family commission that are awaiting the dead emperors son to become old enough to rule.

In fighting between the families (some converted to cathalicsim) for control and the pilot (protestant) sceaming to oust the Portuguese by aligning with one family.

The pilots British accent is a bit much. But the plot is good.

Sub-titled.

I liked the original series.

(I keep getting this and The Last Sumari confused )
That's OK, every time I watch the original Shogun, I'm like, "Where's Rachel Ward?!?!?!?!?!"

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.