Show recommendation thread

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
The Widow on amazon prime has been pretty entertaining so far. Kate Beckinsale is unbelievably hot. She goes searching through the Congo for her husband who supposedly died in a plane crash but she doesn't believe it. I have one episode left.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I don't post over here in the lounge too often....so I'm late to the party here.

I run 30+ miles a week and it's mostly on the treadmill. I use a samsung tablet when I run and watch shows. I've burned through so many shows the last 5 years I have a hard time finding something new to watch. I don't like watching shows that have only one or two seasons - because I don't like waiting a year for the new season. Anyhow, one of the ways I've found to find a good show is to find a list of "cancelled shows" - the list usually is full of shows I've never heard of and tells how many seasons it has. If it has 3 or more seasons I'll give it a shot.

I've watch some odd shows that I never would have watched by reviewing these lists:

Poldark
Red Rock
Z Nation
Schitts Creek
Orphan Black
The Night Manager (1 season)
Red Oaks
The Last Kingdom

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Finished Season 3 of Stranger Things. I really liked it and left you with some questions. I think they really did a good job continuing the character development of most of the regulars.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I just scrolled through the entire thread....most everything covered.

My wife and I watch series together, so I have to ask her before I start a new series (that I watch at the gym).

We just finished "How to get away with murder". It was pretty good for a network show.

We watched Homeland together and after about the 3rd or 4th season we bailed - it just got so stupid. No way the CIA would continue to employ a nut job like the main character! I have a top secret clearance and know what is required to maintain it; she'd have been gone years ago!

We're watching season 3 of Designated Survivor now - interestingly it's now on Netflix so there's cursing and more sex scenes, except it's very far left (transgender character, gay characters, pushing immigration and national health care issues, etc). Still a good show. The first season was the best, the second became more episodic (where each show was it's own story).

Punisher was good, but it got cancelled (because of Disney?).

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Punisher was good, but it got cancelled (because of Disney?).

Disney and costs, the Disney/Marvel contract is up and that made the joint ventures more expensive as well. The first group of cancelled shows will be allowed back in the MCU in 2020, due to when they were cancelled, I think Punisher will have to wait until 2021.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I don't post over here in the lounge too often....so I'm late to the party here.

I run 30+ miles a week and it's mostly on the treadmill. I use a samsung tablet when I run and watch shows. I've burned through so many shows the last 5 years I have a hard time finding something new to watch. I don't like watching shows that have only one or two seasons - because I don't like waiting a year for the new season. Anyhow, one of the ways I've found to find a good show is to find a list of "cancelled shows" - the list usually is full of shows I've never heard of and tells how many seasons it has. If it has 3 or more seasons I'll give it a shot.

I've watch some odd shows that I never would have watched by reviewing these lists:

Poldark
Red Rock
Z Nation
Schitts Creek
Orphan Black
The Night Manager (1 season)
Red Oaks
The Last Kingdom

Poldark is actually a really old show from the 70’s that got a reboot.
It’s a pretty good series.

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
Disney and costs, the Disney/Marvel contract is up and that made the joint ventures more expensive as well. The first group of cancelled shows will be allowed back in the MCU in 2020, due to when they were cancelled, I think Punisher will have to wait until 2021.

i think disney is creating its own streaming network and some marvel projects and original content will be on there

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
i mentioned it earlier barry on hbo and silicon valley on hbo are great shows. funny and short

TheDouglas78

Founding Member
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
i think disney is creating its own streaming network and some marvel projects and original content will be on there

I believe it is released this fall at $8/month. Netflix is also being hit with their contract with NBC (Universal?) also being up next year which will make them lose their two most watched shows The Office and Friends.

t-gator

Founding Member
too sexy for my shirt
Lifetime Member
Jun 13, 2014
Founding Member
I just finished 11.22.63 on hulu. James franco is the star. It's one of the best shows I've seen in a minute. Kind of butterfly effect ish.

Zambo

Founding Member
Poo Flinger
Lifetime Member
Jun 12, 2014
Founding Member
Started watching the series Turn on Netflix. So far so good. About a cabbage farmer in colonial America who starts spying on the British. They've modernized the language a bit so you can understand the conversations better but it plays fairly well.

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
The wife and kid are out of town so I binge watched the first season of the Boys on Amazon.

Imagine if superheroes existed, but they weren't what they thought they were. This show focuses on "The Seven" who are a more than obvious knock off of the justice league, like they are screaming for you to know that is what they modeled them after. Except rather than being good people most are greedy a**holes who care more about their image and how much money they make. Imagine if Superman really could care less if he saved anyone. They work for a big corporation that plans everything for them and hide all of the collateral damage and crimes. They also take their time to poke fun at Marvel some with the amount of money they make off their movies. Also they do make their version of Aquaman the joke of the show.

The plot is that a group who have been affected by the collateral damage come together in an attempt to expose them for what they really are. It gets into a long narrative as they find more evidence to bring the company down, but also have to outrun the super heroes that want to kill them.

It's a nice little show with a little for everyone (unless you are a small child). It has the evil corporation angle that everything has. It has a small message attacking the left and a lot of attacking the right of the political spectrum. It also has its obligatory episode dedicated to attacking Christianity in the middle of the season before getting back on track. Has some boobs for those that like that. Has some wangs for those who like that. Most of all it does have some comedy at the rightly timed moments along with the action, that includes lots of blood and guts. It also has Elizabeth Shue who still looks great.

I thought it was a well done show and I will watch the next season. The plot was nice and moved along fast. Like I said they stalled on the one episode because it really didn't do much to advance the plot outside of trying to prove a point and send a message. That was my only real beef with it. I get it. Christians are fair game to be mocked and made into the bad guy, my issue was more that they spend an hour trying to do it without it having anything to do with really advancing the plot. The things they got from that they could have gotten anyway. Outside of that it moved at a good pace and kept me interested to keep watching the next episode. 7/10

Swampy!

Aug 3, 2018
The wife and kid are out of town so I binge watched the first season of the Boys on Amazon.

Imagine if superheroes existed, but they weren't what they thought they were. This show focuses on "The Seven" who are a more than obvious knock off of the justice league, like they are screaming for you to know that is what they modeled them after. Except rather than being good people most are greedy a**holes who care more about their image and how much money they make. Imagine if Superman really could care less if he saved anyone. They work for a big corporation that plans everything for them and hide all of the collateral damage and crimes. They also take their time to poke fun at Marvel some with the amount of money they make off their movies. Also they do make their version of Aquaman the joke of the show.

The plot is that a group who have been affected by the collateral damage come together in an attempt to expose them for what they really are. It gets into a long narrative as they find more evidence to bring the company down, but also have to outrun the super heroes that want to kill them.

It's a nice little show with a little for everyone (unless you are a small child). It has the evil corporation angle that everything has. It has a small message attacking the left and a lot of attacking the right of the political spectrum. It also has its obligatory episode dedicated to attacking Christianity in the middle of the season before getting back on track. Has some boobs for those that like that. Has some wangs for those who like that. Most of all it does have some comedy at the rightly timed moments along with the action, that includes lots of blood and guts. It also has Elizabeth Shue who still looks great.

I thought it was a well done show and I will watch the next season. The plot was nice and moved along fast. Like I said they stalled on the one episode because it really didn't do much to advance the plot outside of trying to prove a point and send a message. That was my only real beef with it. I get it. Christians are fair game to be mocked and made into the bad guy, my issue was more that they spend an hour trying to do it without it having anything to do with really advancing the plot. The things they got from that they could have gotten anyway. Outside of that it moved at a good pace and kept me interested to keep watching the next episode. 7/10
Really, really enjoyed this show.

Alumni Guy

Lifetime Member
Nov 7, 2015
The most recent Last Chance U on Amazon was pretty good. More of the same: dumb @ss kids, squandering talent. However, this season was a bit of a train wreck.

Worth the watch.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Started watching Queen of the South - (a Mexican drug/cartel show w/ the lead character being a woman). Pretty good so far, has 3 seasons.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
i just finished schitts creek, 4 seasons...funny, like a arrested development / curb your enthusiasm

Schitt's creek is hilarious. The two kids are hilarious and they play the parts well. The mom is a nut, and the mayor is funny. The poor girl working at the hotel is a needed character also. I'm not sure if I watched season 4 though.

I'm finishing up Vikings right now - it's my treadmill show (I run 4 to 6 hours a week on the treadmill so I burn through a ton of shows). I need to find another show to start in the next week or so....

Musclepug

never go full retard
Lifetime Member
Aug 4, 2018
Next show on my list is sinner season 2, Jessica Biel. It was also a good watch

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members