Show recommendation thread

-THE DUDE-

Founding Member
This is the year!!!
Jun 11, 2014
Founding Member
I was good with the ending of Ozark…in fact I liked it a lot.

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I'm sure this show has been covered - but... I just started binging Longmire.
Me gusto mucho.
Especially Deputy Vic.. dayum.

FlyingGator

Lifetime Member
Aug 2, 2017
I was able to catch up with the end of Ozark. I get the criticism by some, but the way I see it the series was very much loved and any ending is going to be disappointing. That said, I'm ok with how they closed it out.

Ruthie, perhaps the heart of the show that fans connected with, was foreshadowed with that 'family' reunion occurring outside the trailer towards the end. She seemed only truly happy when she was with that crowd, and the very best attempt to change her life was getting trashed, and not by her but by Marty & Crew. There was no closure or even directional indication on what happens between the Cartel and the FBI, which is fine because they weren't the core of the program, they just moved the plot along while we focused on our characters. Other than Ruth, Bateman was the center of the show from the get go, as he tap danced his way around death from the opening episodes of the series. Yes, he seemed to get weak at the end, but to me it was getting burned out on all of it, especially his wife's rise to power and taking decisions (some good, many bad). One can complain about the 'woman power' of that shift, but it is also her character (personality) coming thru - recall, she had a lover in S1 that showed she had no care for husband or family, and towards the end all she wanted was the power of her foundation. She showed some heart, as it relates to a mother and her children, but even that was undercut by how she treated her brother and dad, and her kids were more of a possession (stay with me, so I feel that I'm doing the right things) than actual care for them. The kids disappointed me, in the choices they made at the end, but I'm letting that go rather than concern myself over any of it. Bateman himself, he just seemed exhausted, ready to be out any way he can, and the chance to leave the Cartel is somewhat replaced (in my interpretation) by being a prisoner to his wife's ambitions. I feel for him, a bit, but overall I come away not wishing for something different on any given character.

We all loved Ruth, and she probably could have had a great spin off, but I'm good with the series coming to an end, and how they wrapped up each character, including Ruth.

If you haven’t seen the final episode of Ozark then do not read on.spoilers ahead!

No issue at all with Claire and her role. She was the major character to me, always seemingly conflicted yet brutally decisive and selfish when it came down to what was best for her. I’m talking more about the BS of Omar’s sister taking over the Cartel (no way that ever happens) and then Ruthie basically just walking into her death with no care or fight. If you think she was tired of living and fighting even though she was on the cusp of the greatest success of her life, then maybe at some deeper level I could see that. I just didn’t see her walking knowingly into an ambush by only one person after all she had survived, which is why I think it was a sloppy ending for her..

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
I'm sure this show has been covered - but... I just started binging Longmire.
Me gusto mucho.
Especially Deputy Vic.. dayum.

I watched a few episodes of this, but it's 'episodic' (each episode is a separate story line) so I stopped. I prefer the shows that are like a long movie.

The actress that plays Ruth Langmore (Julia Garner) is going to play Madonna in an upcoming biopic.

CDGator

Not Seedy
Lifetime Member
Jul 24, 2020
If you haven’t seen the final episode of Ozark then do not read on.spoilers ahead!

No issue at all with Claire and her role. She was the major character to me, always seemingly conflicted yet brutally decisive and selfish when it came down to what was best for her. I’m talking more about the BS of Omar’s sister taking over the Cartel (no way that ever happens) and then Ruthie basically just walking into her death with no care or fight. If you think she was tired of living and fighting even though she was on the cusp of the greatest success of her life, then maybe at some deeper level I could see that. I just didn’t see her walking knowingly into an ambush by only one person after all she had survived, which is why I think it was a sloppy ending for her..

finally finished it tonight. Meh, I’m ok with the ending. It was getting outlandish. I was getting tired of it all and ready for a conclusion one way or another. Ruth’s character was the best by far.

Last edited:

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
I was good with the ending of Ozark…in fact I liked it a lot.
Other than that one main character dying (don't want to ruin it for others) I liked it too....and I understand why this character was killed, still was hoping it wouldn't happen

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
Stranger Things S4 is really good IMO....longer episodes but it goes by fast with good pacing, writing and character development

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
Physical (Apple +) - Another show marketed as a 'dark comedy". Rose Byrne is smoking hot, but no boobs (at least from her). She has a hippy husband running for office, but is becoming enamored with the Regan shopping mall capitalist dream and becomes a work out instructor. If they had just stopped here with the story it would be compelling. Of course they had to up themselves and give her an eating disorder, make everyone horrible people and put in a lot of WTF sexual moments. Finished the season and might watch part 2 if my trial hasn't run out, but not special.

Ozarks (Netflix) - I am pissed by the ending of this series. All I'm gonna say.

Barry (HBO Max) - hitman goes to LA and decides to try and leave that life behind and become an actor. Stars Bill Hader, The Fonz and the stapler guy from Office Space. Binged the first two seasons since the 3rd just started and was hooked. Nice blend of comedy and a few of the supporting characters are hilarious, such as Hank who works for the Czechia mob. Third season is only two episodes in and a little weird so far, but this show is worth watching.

I started watching Barry last night. So far - very enjoyable. In the first episode he's at a bar w/ some of the people from the acting class. The love interest girl says, "Nobody is from LA...." Then she points out the homosexual dude and says, "He's from Florida..", the homosexual dude responds, "Go Gators!". lol

Gatordiddy

Member in good standing
Lifetime Member
Jul 23, 2014
I started watching Barry last night. So far - very enjoyable. In the first episode he's at a bar w/ some of the people from the acting class. The love interest girl says, "Nobody is from LA...." Then she points out the homosexual dude and says, "He's from Florida..", the homosexual dude responds, "Go Gators!". lol

Same here... just started watching it as well. His love interest is a fantastic actress too.

Barry's "manager" Stephen Root is also a Gator.
But...later in the series he bemoans the fact that he can't watch Buckeye football and he's been a lifelong fan.
wtf man? who wrote that line and why did he agree to say it?
I'd have protested. :lol:

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Stranger Things S4 is really good IMO....longer episodes but it goes by fast with good pacing, writing and character development
The scene with Max was fantastically done in every way. Shot a 38 year old forgotten song to the top of every major chart. Getting really tired of this break the season up stuff they are pulling.

BMF

Bad Mother....
Lifetime Member
Sep 8, 2014
The scene with Max was fantastically done in every way. Shot a 38 year old forgotten song to the top of every major chart. Getting really tired of this break the season up stuff they are pulling.

Yep, the breaking up the seasons thing is a pain, but I think some of that has to do with the covid lockdowns. I'm watching Better Call Saul (recording it each week then watching later) and they don't come back on until mid-July (last episode was mid-May).

I'm watching Stranger Things also, have one episode left. What song are you talking about?

gingerlover

Lifetime Member
Sep 20, 2014
Yep, the breaking up the seasons thing is a pain, but I think some of that has to do with the covid lockdowns. I'm watching Better Call Saul (recording it each week then watching later) and they don't come back on until mid-July (last episode was mid-May).

I'm watching Stranger Things also, have one episode left. What song are you talking about?

Running up that hill by Kate Bush.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019

Are you talking about the scene where she is running out of the upside down world?

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019

I would argue Better Call Saul has a better mid season break cliffhanger than Stranger Things or Ozark did...so get ready

Durty South Swamp

Founding Member
doodley doodley doo!
Lifetime Member
Jun 19, 2014
Founding Member
havent watched saul lately. waiting for it to completely finish, then binge it.

im 3 eps from end of ozark and all up to date on stranger. 2nd half of ST is going to be nuts. they are starting to tie the pieces together so that you are seeing a bigger picture amidst all the mid season suspense. such a great show.

LoyalGatorFan

Lifetime Member
Jul 10, 2019
havent watched saul lately. waiting for it to completely finish, then binge it.

im 3 eps from end of ozark and all up to date on stranger. 2nd half of ST is going to be nuts. they are starting to tie the pieces together so that you are seeing a bigger picture amidst all the mid season suspense. such a great show.

Some of my peeps didn't like the Ozark ending but I didn't mind it....ST is fantastic....I like how they are developing other characters too....very good midseason finale explaining the backstory of Vecna

Users who are viewing this thread

Help Users

You haven't joined any rooms.